sponson mods for MV

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f41stryker

Okay I've read several posts on sites about this sponson mod and it seems that it definitely works, so my question is what are the best materials to use? I've got some shims from Home Depot, would something like this work? I'm not sure what it's made of either... What would be the best way of sealing the wood also?

Okay I've read several posts on sites about this sponson mod and it seems that it definitely works, so my question is what are the best materials to use? I've got some shims from Home Depot, would something like this work? I'm not sure what it's made of either... What would be the best way of sealing the wood also?
i think you can get a kit from jerry dunlop

All the vegas sponson mods I've seen have been made from wood..... looked like the ply you get at the LHS. I'd think that the ply is stronger/lighter than wood you'll find at Home Depot. S'pose you could also use carbon fiber or other lite strong material that'll hold a sharp edge. If you go w/wood, seal the wood w/a thin coat of expoxy and after dry, scuff the surface w/some 600 grit. Dont know if JD offers a "kit" (dont think so), so thought I'd respond some to your questions. Try PMing "GUPPY" on IW, he could give you specifics if you dont here from JD.

Best wishes!

its not a kit....all it is is a drawn up plans that JD has done......just give him a PM and he can probably send you some or even email them to you

the mods I have on my boats are similar to Jerry's just a little different.

Jerry got me the plans friday. I'm going to go to the LHS today or this week and pick up materials and give this a try.

Wow-what a waste of time...neither of my LHS had any 1/32 plywood. Okay, let me understand how these mods need to be made...

1. Block sand the bottom of the sponsons from the back edge to the front.

What grit sandpaper would be ideally suited? Should I be sanding to the paint, to the primer, to the fiberglass? Where?

2. Glue the sponson wedges to the outside edges of the sponsons.

How long should these wedges be? Is this just a solid block of wood or am I making a frame of smaller pieces and then putting a piece of 1/32 plywood over this essentially leaving it hollow inside? Furthermore, what type of wood should I be using here?

3. Glue the 3/8" x 1/8" spruce strip (#1) across the sponson at the front edge of the wedge.

Basically I'm gluing a strip of spruce the entire width of the sponson in front of the wedge block I've already glued? Again, where should this be as far as measurements are concerned? WHAT SHOULD I BE USING TO "GLUE" THESE STRIPS?

4. Shape the other two 3/8" x 1/8" strips (#2) to create side edge pieces for the front sponson piece (#3). It will take some trial cutting and fitting to shape these side pieces. Glue the side pieces to the bottom of the sponson.

Should these strips be running across the sponson width wise or up and down parallel with the sponson surface? I assume the cutting and fitting will be due to the fact that the sponson tapers as you near the front? Basically it will create a framework in which to glue the 1/32" plywood surface to?

5. Glue the front sheeting to the sponson.

Again what should I be using for glue? CA or epoxy? I'm going to assume I should seal the wood also and what would be best to do that with?

These instructions were taken directly from JD's Miss Vegas Sponson Modification text, which I appreciate him sending to me. Unfortunately I'm very new to this so I don't quite understand all of the ins/outs of how to do it yet. Anybody that can help me, I really appreciate it. Pictures would be beneficial or I can take pictures as I go through the modification process. I guess I'll have to order wood of the net now :(

Wow-what a waste of time...neither of my LHS had any 1/32 plywood. Okay, let me understand how these mods need to be made...
1. Block sand the bottom of the sponsons from the back edge to the front.

What grit sandpaper would be ideally suited? Should I be sanding to the paint, to the primer, to the fiberglass? Where?

2. Glue the sponson wedges to the outside edges of the sponsons.

How long should these wedges be? Is this just a solid block of wood or am I making a frame of smaller pieces and then putting a piece of 1/32 plywood over this essentially leaving it hollow inside? Furthermore, what type of wood should I be using here?

3. Glue the 3/8" x 1/8" spruce strip (#1) across the sponson at the front edge of the wedge.

Basically I'm gluing a strip of spruce the entire width of the sponson in front of the wedge block I've already glued? Again, where should this be as far as measurements are concerned? WHAT SHOULD I BE USING TO "GLUE" THESE STRIPS?

4. Shape the other two 3/8" x 1/8" strips (#2) to create side edge pieces for the front sponson piece (#3). It will take some trial cutting and fitting to shape these side pieces. Glue the side pieces to the bottom of the sponson.

Should these strips be running across the sponson width wise or up and down parallel with the sponson surface? I assume the cutting and fitting will be due to the fact that the sponson tapers as you near the front? Basically it will create a framework in which to glue the 1/32" plywood surface to?

5. Glue the front sheeting to the sponson.

Again what should I be using for glue? CA or epoxy? I'm going to assume I should seal the wood also and what would be best to do that with?

These instructions were taken directly from JD's Miss Vegas Sponson Modification text, which I appreciate him sending to me. Unfortunately I'm very new to this so I don't quite understand all of the ins/outs of how to do it yet. Anybody that can help me, I really appreciate it. Pictures would be beneficial or I can take pictures as I go through the modification process. I guess I'll have to order wood of the net now :(
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4361937/mpage_138/tm.htm

Good thread to read and has pics from Jerry himself.

Chad Cutsforth

Last edited by a moderator:
you don't have to use 1/32 ply you can use 1/16 just remember to drop your turn fin down to compensate for the mods or it will break loose in the water when cornering.

Latest posts

Back