Speedfreek sport hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkF

Here's the clip of my boat from the last electric saw event. first pass 95 mph second pass 105 mph. This was the first time in the water with this power system and was just doing some shake down runs.

Mark

Here's the clip of my boat from the last electric saw event. first pass 95 mph second pass 105 mph. This was the first time in the water with this power system and was just doing some shake down runs.Mark

Sweet! Mark, wish I could have made it. I have a 3040 8T for my 1/8 scale Just need some good batteries.

Good Question Larry. Its a 43" sport hydro running on 10s 2p thunder power extremes. Motor is a Neu 2230 and prop is a prather 260 done up by Dasboata. However were not sure if there is a T sport hydro class. I may have to run it on 8s for S sport hydro and get an 1/8 scale to run it in T.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I think "T" Sport Hydro and 1/8th Scale are two classes.

1/8 Scale can run in "T" Sport. But "T" Sport can not run in 1/8

Larry

Unfortunately there is no such thing as T Sport Hydro, so Mark could not apply for a record. The model was fast alright - but still 40+ mph under the T Hydro record.

Yet another fine example of why arbitrary length limits can reduce the number of participants at events. We should be concentrating on being more INCLUSIVE with our rules, rather than being more EXCLUSIVE.

This is why I will not be voting YES for the new FE rules. It is a shame that we are given a single yes or no vote for approval, instead of voting for the portions of the new rules that we may support. I like most of the new rules, but not the length restrictions. So I am forced to vote NO..... :(

Glenn, I would love to come out there and run but money is too tight. I'm a layed off construction supervisor since Feb. Larry, I know about all the rules and I will be trying 8s as soon as I can get some batteries. When I can afford it I want to do one of Henry Valasco's 1/8 scale to do as 10s. I'm going to be building a Stryker Y6 mono as well to try and get the mono record over 100mph unless someone else beats me to it. I know there are some others trying as well.

Mark

If we didn't have rule lengths, right now I'd be running a 39" mono with a 2215 (1450 kw) 240 Castle, and 4S2P, with a 455 3-blade (the biggest prop I had at the time). I built the boat last summer just to see where things would go if we didn't have rule lengths. I tested the boat and it was running in the low 50's. To get the full potential of this boat I would have had to go to 1/4" props. With the setup I had, nothing was even warm. To put that boat on the water, it would cost about $1,300 (lucky for me I borrowed the motor from Mark); so, I'm kind of glad that we do have length restrictions.

If we didn't have rule lengths, right now I'd be running a 39" mono with a 2215 (1450 kw) 240 Castle, and 4S2P, with a 455 3-blade (the biggest prop I had at the time). I built the boat last summer just to see where things would go if we didn't have rule lengths. I tested the boat and it was running in the low 50's. To get the full potential of this boat I would have had to go to 1/4" props. With the setup I had, nothing was even warm. To put that boat on the water, it would cost about $1,300 (lucky for me I borrowed the motor from Mark); so, I'm kind of glad that we do have length restrictions.
Greg

And that is one of the biggest reasons for length restrictions.

My "P" mono 33" 4S2P runs at about 50 MPH also for about $800

By keeping the price down, I now run 6 race boats in 8 classes at an event.

Both my "P" and "N2" Monos can run Offshore also.

Larry

I'm glad that you had success with your experiment Greg, but I have a different take on the subject. Your 36" P Mono runs low 50s, and I'm sure that your current sub-34" P-Mono runs about the same speed - I know my 33" Titan does. Where is the real cost difference in the two boats? The cells are the same, the ESC is the same, and a 1527 would have performed as well in the "big" boat. (In fact I believe you used a 1527 this year in your own P Mono and were untouchable on the race course as it was.) What is the real difference then - performance results or cost - other than the length? A top-level P-Mono costs over a grand right now....

Driving and setup still remain the main reasons for winning. In fact Greg, I imagine you could win against almost anyone driving equal boats right now based on your setup experience and driving ability. Should you be forced to drive with a blindfold over one eye to somehow "make it fair" to the other racers? Of course not, we can't arbitrarily restrict the racer's ability! Then why should we restrict his boat choice? In reality all the length restrictions do is limit the available boats we can run. Under length restrictions if a racer wants to run the same hull in both P and Q Mono - he can't do it! How does this make the sport less costly for that racer? It does not. Gas and nitro racers without length restrictions will likely see the restrictions as just one more roadblock to joining us. We cannot afford to exclude those who want to run with us if we want the hobby to grow - or even to maintain itself at current levels.

We have to face it, this is not a hobby for those without enough disposable income - at least not top-level racing. We have - or soon will have - plenty of cost-controlled classes using the SV-type power plants offering great speeds and close racing at popular prices. These classes will be the future of the hobby IMO. Those who can afford to play in the top tier will do so, but those who cannot are not left out either.

Sorry, I do not see a real threat to the hobby with the current IMPBA rules, but I do see multiple threats from adopting length restrictions.

JAY

This has been explained to you many times.

If I put a 50" $2,000 P mono in a race with the 30" P monos

They will not be able to run in my wash.

So now if you want to race P mono you have to build a $2,000 boat.

With length limits, nobody has to run in an wash bigger then there own.

We have run Length limits for over a year now between IMPBA and NAMBA

And IT WORKS

Larry

Length limits have virtually nothing to do with cost, and they are bad for the growth of the hobby. We should certainly have some "spec" classes, but the rules need to be written to be MORE inclusive instead of being EXclusive. The argument about running in big wakes with my little boat is very very weak. The new rules proposal includes restrictions on the motors that can be used in 1/8th Scale as well as the foolish length limits. Unfortunately it is an all-or-nothing proposal vote, so I'll vote no this time.

JAY This has been explained to you many times.....
Yes it has, and it still uses the same weak logic as it always has. Too, your post makes it abundantly clear that unless I agree with you, my opinion is discounted - yet another example of your promotion of exclusivity.

BTW I am not a child - please refrain from addressing me as one in the future.

(And you wonder why I don't post on the red board anymore.....)

If there were no length restriction rules, the P-Mono I would build would be between 40 - 45" with a 2230 .5Y (1500 kv) Neu motor that would have to be special-wound, and I'm sure the price would be over $600. You'd have to buy gas hardware, the boat would be a couple hundred dollars more than a 33" boat, and I'd probably run the biggest Octura prop X-series. And I guarantee that this would have been the boat I would have built. Now you have to build a P-Sport, definitely using a sport 40 (maybe bigger) boat. N-2, you'd be using 1521 .5Y, which I've been testing in my boat for the last 6 months. The problem is, you have to run a big prop; and big props on little boats don't work. But it would probably work pretty good in a 33" boat. Now since we have a whole fleet of BIG boats, we have to buy an enclosed trailer to haul 'em. At one time I didn't want length restrictions because I already knew what I was going to build

JAY This has been explained to you many times.....
(And you wonder why I don't post on the red board anymore.....)

I don't have to wonder, it is because they won't put up with you anymore.

Are you not the one that said you do not race boats anymore, because you are to involved with your sons CART racing.

Also you were the MOD that tried to get me band when we all talked about the NAMBA rules.

Length limits are working very well in NAMBA

Why can they not work in IMPBA also,

OH wait - they do we have been running them for over a year.

and everybody that races them agree that they do.

There are many racers that race in both NAMBA and IMPBA

Do we have to build different boats for both, and as Greg said they will be $2,000 boats.

Larry

Back