Something Different

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bullard

Here is a balance job I did the other day. It is the heaviest part we have every done. Weight on this unit was almost 13,000lbs. It looks like a planer rotor without the blades. But I think it is used to chop up polymers. The overall length was 110" , the rotor was 60" x 30". Shaft and all was made out of a solid piece of steel. Running speed was 440 rpm and I am sure that it has a lot of horsepower to drive it. We balance it to a G2.5 spec. Balancing speed was 150 rpm.

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Very cool.. Looks like a Sunnen Hone mandrel.... a BIG Sunnen Hone Mandrel..
default_smile.png

Bearings on this machine are pretty good. They are special hardened wheels with rollers bearing inside. So they will take a lot of weight. Our machine is rated for 12,000 lbs. with a short duty cycle of 15,000 lbs. The scary part is to turn this heavy rotor 150 rpm in the open. Makes you want to back up a little.

That looks like a rotor for a plastic shredder/granulator. It is used to chop plastic flash/scrap into tiny little pieces. The knives look like thick planer blades.

Yep, we have several of them here at work they can turn a 4' x 8' sheet of 0.250" Lexan into quarter inch pieces in minutes. We have one that they put hunks of plastic 2" thick into it and it eats them up.

Hey Mark,

Is that a Hoffman balancer? For the electric motor rotors I also balance to G2.5, but the rotors are only 25mm in diameter and 400g.

Does having the drive belt go around a non-circular surface cause issues??

Tyler

Yes you are right. It is a Hoffman hard bearing balance machine. I have a smaller Hoffman also that will go to 200 lbs. I am in the electric motor business also. Have not had a problem with the non-circular surface. And on the motors we repair our spec is a G 1. Not to many machines can go this low with ease. We did eight feed water pump impellers to a G 0.4 the other day and trim the assembly to a G 0.4 after it was put together on its common shaft.

Latest posts

Back