so sad

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrcbud

:( :( :( I just sold my 1/8 scale bud. has anyone ever boxed one up and shipped I'm clueless as usual. another problem is the verticals are epoxied in and mounted through the hull any ideas i don't want them to break.

Find a box big enough 1st; I think that might be the hardest part. When I shipped my 7.5 tunnel, that was the hardest part of boxing it up, finding the box. :huh: As far as the fins, I would get a Styrofoam block & shape it to fit between them, & tape them to the block. That should secure them well enough.

I've shipped a lot of 1/8 scales. The best way to protect the vertical wings is to wrap thin bubble wrap through them as many times as you can. Put tape every so often to keep it stuck in place. You can use the thick bubble wrap but you won't get as much around and inside of it.

As for a box, here's the key. Assuming since it's a Bud boat the shortest it would be is a 43 inch hull (I'm guessing) so the box has to be a minimum of 46 inches. With Vertical wings glued in place you've added what? maybe another 12 inches of height, so the box needs to be at least 14 inches tall, and the boat is probably no less than 22 inches wide so you'll need to go about 28 wide......put it all together your box is 46X14X28=130 inches total girth. If you can find that box you just meet the maximum shipping box UPS will take. Remember on the box you double the width and girth so 14X2=28 28X2=56 only the length does not get doubled.

The US Post office max box is 108 and the longest I think is 48 inches they ship, I think.

Now with that said you still need to wrap the living hell out of the box because UPS doesn't buy their employee's ladders, that's what your boxes are for! :eek: :eek:

Plus add popcorn or newspaper and you got one jammed packed box. Most important get a thick box, if you get a thin box, you better double it, meaning get two and wrap the boat up and slid it into the second box. Believe me, your in for a challenge shipping an 1/8 scale w/fixed Verticals. Also, on the top and bottom of the box, if you have any thick styrafoam like the old ice chest or what comes in a VCR or even if you have the plumbers foam you use for floatation add that as a bumper.

I get my big boxes sometimes at the Frito-Lay Distribution centers since I work their but other great places to go are to auto body shops, radiator shops or places that sell water heaters, dishwashers, fridges etc....just bring a tape measure so your not dragging home their junk! I've had to tape two big boxes together before to make it work.

Lastly, if there are any Mall type Outlets that have Mikasa, Lenox or other home goods those are great palces to get free bubble wrap and popcorn, business will throw tons of it out by their dumpsters...sounds cheap but this stuff is super expensive. Go buy it and you'll easily drop $50+ dollars on packing alone.

GOOD LUCK!

I just rememebred the best packing stuff I ever used came from a place that installed RUGS. THEY throw away the old carpet padding, it's heavy but man it works great, if you can get that your set.

Also, always insure on the high side, meaning the actual replacement value to you if damaged, not what you sold it for. If I was insuring the boat you just sold I'd do $1,500 insurance. UPS I think insures the first $100 for free and every additional $100 is $0.40 so that's a real bargin. Probably cost you anther $6.00

I always call UPS direct and ask them to pick the boat up at my house, it's a $3 or $4 charge but if you take it to a shipping center, they charge like $10 or more, plus getting that box in a car sucks...LOL....

And finally go to UPS.com they have a shipping extimater on their that will give you quotes including the insurance fee......when you charge the person shipping the one thing the UPS website does not do is include the $4 pick up fee so remeber to include that ;)

Hope that helped! ;)

If you can shape a styrofoam block between the uprights as mentioned then that is your best bet. I would still keep packing away from the uprights. Let the hull be the load bearing surface.

UPS has a few rules and they hit me with them when shipping a 1/8 scale.

Minimum 3" packaging. Must withstand a some weight (50lbs ?) to be dropped on it from 3 feet.

My boat had no uprights and barely fit the maximum allowable container size. Good luck.

Preston_Hall said:
UPS has a few rules and they hit me with them when shipping a 1/8 scale.
Minimum 3" packaging. Must withstand a some weight (50lbs ?) to be dropped on it from 3 feet.

My boat had no uprights and barely fit the maximum allowable container size. Good luck.

99369[/snapback]

That's why it's best to set up a UPS driver pick up at your home.....all the bull crap they put you through at a shipping store or at the counter don't pertain to you because the driver doesn't give a crap what he's picking up!

[/b]

When UPS told me they need to have a box withhold a 50lb drop I laughed. Most things boxed getting that much weight dropped on it are destined for disaster!!

Either way the shipping companies are making it tougher and tougher to ship......boxes get even smaller going International. Just ask GTR and Marc Page....I've shipped them a few boats....what a nightmare sometimes.

I just remembered, I shipped my Miller American when it had glued uprights. I got a box that fit just the hydro, I cut the back top part section so the boat was in the box and the tail was exposed. I then made antoher box around two other boxes so the box was "L" shaped. Wrapped carpet padding in it and it got to Tennesse just fine.

Dont know if this will help But I used to ship very fragile aquarium lights around the country. The only way we could get them there without breaking

Took a Plastic bag (the black garbage bags work great) and put the Item inside the bag

then with the wraped item in the box (box needs at least 3" around the Item) then we would fill the ends with expandable foam, not to much just enough to secure the item.

let it expand to the middle.

Hope that helps

Mike

BTW Still didn't stop things from getting broke. But Helped a lot

Once flew to a race and built a container from the rigid blue styrofoam insulation for the boats. Separated the boats with the loose styro peanuts (a lap or two of bubble wrap might be a good idea too) but had put the boats into green garbage bags first. Saved a big cleanup - those peanuts get into everything and stick due to static.

Used duct tape to create the box by taping along the edges and did the same to attach the lid. The lid and the bottom were actually a laminated double layer, with the first layer being the O.D. and the second layer being the I.D of the box. This gave the sides more stability too.

Then used more duct tape around the entire box to keep everything in tact.

Container survived the two way trip and showed outward signs of abuse but contents were perfect. It's light, rigid, and will definitely survive all but a direct nuclear hit !

My neighbor "borrowed" it to send some stuff and that's the last I saw of it.

Try the Container Store if you have one in your area. That is where I go for my boxes. They have all different sizes. They also have packing materials.

I work for a college in the IT Dept. and when we throw away computer boxes I pull out some of the Styrofoam pieces and save the bubble wrap if any. Sure saves on having to buy it.

David

Take pictures of the boat in the box before sealing it up. UPS and the others don't like to pay off on insurance claims! This way you have proof of how it was packed when you sent it out.

UPS upped the weight of parcels that they'll take a few years ago, up to 120 pounds I think so you never know what they'll plop on top of your box.

I built a custom crate for a boat I shipped. Used 1x1s for the frame work and wall paneling for the sides. Lots of wood glue and a lid that went on with wood screws. Hell for stout and didn't weigh much more than a heavy cardboard box

Fellas,

Wait until you here this one. I just shipped a Circus Circus hydro, boat stand,

radio,and propellers to FLA for $304.00. UPS shipping store here in T/C. The

box was $35.00, and to pack it was $35.00 more. And now the unbelievable

part,the box weighed 25 pounds RTS at 132" total size. $234.00 for insurance

and three day delivery to Miami, FLA. They told me it was oversized and the

package would ship like a 150 pound package on the airplane,and that I was

paying for the size. I told them next time I will just buy a plane ticket for me

and the boat and fly it their myself. Only one problem, it won't pass security

here at the airport. :lol: :lol: :lol: Too Much Metal!!!!!!!! Live And Learn.

The Boat runs great though,I was testing it on Torch Lake Saturday morning

with my Dad, and the beauty would start to lift off the water at 60 MPH.

Set up: MAC 67 Silverhead,70% Nitro,Reduced [email protected]" of cup,and a 10.5"

S.P.P. MP-67 MAC Hydro pipe with the stinger muffler. What a ride,it looked

like Chip was in the boat driving it. I just hated to ship that one to Florida.

Just Having Some Fun Up Here In God's Country, :D

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took a .45 Tunnel to California and brought back a .45 Hydro. For that I used two "Dish Pack" boxes sleeved together. These boxes are double walled and rigid for holding the weight of dishes. They measure 18x18x28. I put them together and cut them on both sides along the vertical line to make them half as tall so it fit within the maximum linear dimensions allowed for Delta Airlines' checked luggage dimension policy. I wrapped the boats in bubble wrap and also filled the voids in the box with bubble wrap. Added a rope handle on one side and it was good to go. Delta wrapped "Fragile" tape around the box and added stickers as well. No problem getting it checked. The only problem I had was going through security with my radio box that had the radio, receiver, batteries, and a .45 CMB in it. They took a long hard look at that.

The concept will work for all boats, though this particular box will not work for larger items.

Here's a link to the box on U Haul

Last edited by a moderator:
shoboat said:
Fellas,
Wait until you here this one. I just shipped a Circus Circus hydro, boat stand,

radio,and propellers to FLA for $304.00. UPS shipping store here in T/C. The

box was $35.00, and to pack it was $35.00 more. And now the unbelievable

part,the box weighed 25 pounds RTS at 132" total size. $234.00 for insurance

and three day delivery to Miami, FLA. They told me it was oversized and the

package would ship like a 150 pound package on the airplane,and that I was

paying for the size.

100741[/snapback]

Boy they saw you comin'............ :p

The fact that the shipping and packing company wasn't smart enough to know that UPS's guidelines for maximum box was 130 inches is sickening. 2 inches cost you an additional $200 basically. I don't even think Ron Jeremy gets a $100 an inch... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fellas,

Yeah, live and learn,but the boat arrived in Primo shape and the customer

just needs to add fuel and turn on the receiver switch and transmitter, and

he will be running a really nice Circus Circus. I must give UPS some credit,

as they were on time and the package contents where in perfect condition.

This was what I call Ready To Run, :D

Mark Sholund

Back