So How Does RC Robots Get on PrimeTime Television and Boats Can't?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger,

One of our clubs did the small race boats for the spectators to run. They gave away trophys too. Just picked folks out of the spectators. Mostly kids. It was sponsored by a hobby shop too. Still, It didn't help much and after two years of that they gave it up.

The reason the big race in the park went away is that we got tired of going to all the meetings for the sake of one race. A lot of work with little gain. I guess we model boaters are just a small group of enthusiasts. But, hey, things are changing. look at the recent gas race entry issues. The IMPBA Gas Nats were sold out in 20 minutes after opening for registration! Big races are now selling out quickly. That must mean we are growing as a sport. They had 48 boats in the thunderboat class alone at the gas nats. Changes are definately needed but in a good way. Too many people want to play but can't because the races fill up so fast. We may have to limit how many boats one person can enter for example. I know we did that at the internats back in the 70s. I think it was a 3 boat limit per person. Anyway, who knows where we will end up as a sport. Crystal ball anyone?

Roger,

One of our clubs did the small race boats for the spectators to run. They gave away trophys too. Just picked folks out of the spectators. Mostly kids. It was sponsored by a hobby shop too. Still, It didn't help much and after two years of that they gave it up.

The reason the big race in the park went away is that we got tired of going to all the meetings for the sake of one race. A lot of work with little gain. I guess we model boaters are just a small group of enthusiasts. But, hey, things are changing. look at the recent gas race entry issues. The IMPBA Gas Nats were sold out in 20 minutes after opening for registration! Big races are now selling out quickly. That must mean we are growing as a sport. They had 48 boats in the thunderboat class alone at the gas nats. Changes are definately needed but in a good way. Too many people want to play but can't because the races fill up so fast. We may have to limit how many boats one person can enter for example. I know we did that at the internats back in the 70s. I think it was a 3 boat limit per person. Anyway, who knows where we will end up as a sport. Crystal ball anyone?

So it was you and the club that gave it up or the TV Station? I do agree with you it is a lot of work and the thing is... all of those people you are meeting with are getting paid to meet with you as they are on their job and you/we are not. So it makes it extra tough to fit in all the extra work around a full time job. I do understand the challenges.

Regarding Gas boats... Yes. They do seem to be the next wave of change. If it gets more people excited and interested I guess us old nitro guys will have to give in and join the pack. LOL!. I guess with Gas though you get access to a few more potential national sponsorship support.

As far as boat limits. Wonder what it'd be like if each person only had one. I think the competition would be tougher. Boats would be more reliable but more importantly you'd have several top guys since they'd only be able to run one class. Like everything else there's most often only going to be the same circle of top guys competing for top honors but that's with any form of racing. It's rare if ever that a rookie comes in and wins it all. Usually takes years of experience to learn what the best equipment is, who has it and then have the time to get it. Then once you get it, how best to work with it, work with it against competition and ultimiately a win. There are people that have been racing for 30 years that have never one a championship so people shouldn't be too discouraged if they haven't won one either. It's not easy.

Back