Setup for Miss Vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would like to encourage you to use k&b 1L plugs,,, in both engines... these are hot plugs... its imperative to keep heat in these engines to maintain proper wear and function...i love my sv,,, and my vegas... i put alot of time into engine mods... the 1L plug has served me well in everything i own... what brand of fuel are you using??? i run john otto's technology hobbies 60%... and ill tell you this,,, i wont buy any other fuel out there...

if it was eating plugs like crazy i would say the damage was due to the dropping of the elements...

alden

I have to agree with camaroboy on the fuel. John Otto's fuel is way better than any fuel at your LHS. I notice that starting is way easier and overall performance is better on technology fuels. Not to mention the price is way less!! As for the strut height, I was running my strut height all the way up for a while and had problems with the transon ''dragging'' in the water. I lowered the strut and noticed a difference right away. I suggest running nothing lower than 50% nitro. The performance is much more than 30%. Just make sure your engine is broken in properly and tuned. You wouldnt want to throw another rod. Was the head shim in the engine that threw the rod??

i have found the tz hard to beat with the aqua,,,modded and all... but its a close call... good driving could put you in the winners circle... the cvr-m is widely used in the vegas,,, the cvr-m and the aqua .18 are dam near the same engine... the aqua modified is a great little engine....

ac

otto is a stand up guy for sure,,, in my opinion its one of the best fuels out there,,,always very consistant...

ac

So do you think that is was the problem with the Duece? Also...been searching the threads....I am new to this forum and there is a guy who was racing one that had the same problem. I think you responded to that one as well and I ordered some from TH....they may be here now at the PO in addition to two quarts of Grim 50%. Are the stock OS's worth modding? ....I thought the CVR-M or the TZ was the way to go for upgrades......
The CVRM and TZ are typical O.S. engines..well made, extremely dependable depending on how far you go with them..i ran a CVRM for a long time, never had a problem with it and could put it right back in the boat and run it today....the TZ is faster..i know this because ive been beaten by several! These engines do cost a bit more, but they are good engines...that being said, i had very good luck with Aqui engine that originally came with my Miss Vegas....even the highest quality engine can be destroyed by abuse/lack of proper maintenance!

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to encourage you to use k&b 1L plugs,,, in both engines... these are hot plugs... its imperative to keep heat in these engines to maintain proper wear and function...i love my sv,,, and my vegas... i put alot of time into engine mods... the 1L plug has served me well in everything i own... what brand of fuel are you using??? i run john otto's technology hobbies 60%... and ill tell you this,,, i wont buy any other fuel out there...

if it was eating plugs like crazy i would say the damage was due to the dropping of the elements...

alden

I have to agree with camaroboy on the fuel. John Otto's fuel is way better than any fuel at your LHS. I notice that starting is way easier and overall performance is better on technology fuels. Not to mention the price is way less!! As for the strut height, I was running my strut height all the way up for a while and had problems with the transon ''dragging'' in the water. I lowered the strut and noticed a difference right away. I suggest running nothing lower than 50% nitro. The performance is much more than 30%. Just make sure your engine is broken in properly and tuned. You wouldnt want to throw another rod. Was the head shim in the engine that threw the rod??
Yes the head shim was in.

thats a good thing rob...i had no luck removing the shim in the st,,,,but hey,,,maybe that was just me...

ac

thats a good thing rob...i had no luck removing the shim in the st,,,,but hey,,,maybe that was just me...

ac
The Duece was broken in by me from what I learned on the other forum and all did go well. When I broke in my own boats, I removed the shims....also what I learned on that forum with no problems yet.....both engines are the stock OS. I helped the kid out to get him set up with his Duece....and then the rest was up to him as he has airplane and airboat experience.

BTW...talked to him tonite....he said he was running the purple plug...then replaced it with the blue plug...and that when it blew up. He said the blue plug looked fine.....then I asked him about the purple plug....he said he did not know....he will be home tommorow and will tell me the condition.....

ac

If your running higher nitro you should leave the head shim. IMO. The engines take a lot of abuse when the head shims are taken out with higher nitro. You are more likely to do damage to the rod.

If the shim was taken out of an O.S. motor, im not sure that was a good thing...i pullled the shim out of my aqui engine AFTER i broke it in and it was fine with 60% nitro...head clearence is pretty important stuff if you dont want to hurt the engine....Alden, if you read this, i pulled the shim out BEFORE you performed your magic! :D I havent touched it since...didnt want you to slap my hand for messin with YER motor job!! :lol: :lol: Gettin ready to go test the TS-3..........TODAY!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

awsome....please keep me posted bill...with you at the wheel it should be a good day for you....

best of luck testing today....

alden

....he said he was running the purple plug...then replaced it with the blue plug...and that when it blew up....

The blue plug is a much colder temp plug. If he was trying to get it to go with that plug, I would bet he was leaning the plug a lot to get it to sort of run. By doing this, there is not enough oil in the motor to keep it together. Things start to rub against each other instead of having a thin layer of oil for protection. Causing heat to build up in the parts and then failing.

Mike

....he said he was running the purple plug...then replaced it with the blue plug...and that when it blew up....

The blue plug is a much colder temp plug. If he was trying to get it to go with that plug, I would bet he was leaning the plug a lot to get it to sort of run. By doing this, there is not enough oil in the motor to keep it together. Things start to rub against each other instead of having a thin layer of oil for protection. Causing heat to build up in the parts and then failing.

Mike

****....Very well put.

We went back and forth on the HSN needle and concluded the ST engine likes to run between 3 to 4 turns out. I don't know what settings who was using that day cause I was not there......he did tell me the purple plug's coil was distorted.....he said there was metal fused to it which leads me to believe that is were the problem started. The blue plug was in good shape....but it was also blown.

Talked to the my guy tonite....Hobbico has the engine....turns out a piece of the bearing broke off an destroyed the engine...the are going to replace it under warranty.......

Running lean can cause the piece to break. Becarefull with the needle and your motor will last a life time.

Mike

I have no idea. I do not run that motor or carb setup. If you pull the trigger quickly to full from a idle, it should rev to a high point in about 1.5 seconds. If it does it any faster than that, you are lean. I have used this teqnique many at times on peoples boats to get them in the range. I learned long ago to tune by ear. Then I made more money and now I can afford tools like 3rd channel and flowmeters.

Mike

Running lean can cause the piece to break. Becarefull with the needle and your motor will last a life time.

Mike
O then that being said.....what are the perferred settings...for the Hsn?
"The preferred setting" is not a "One size fits all" item. Several factors effect needle-valve settings - temperature, humidity, and altitude. Learning to tune a nitro engine is the ultimate On The Job Training.

JD

Back