Servo sizes for 40 tunnels and bigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHEW, where to start, where to go????????? i'm as much of an outboard purist as anyone, rc or full scale. i can wholeheartedly agree with ron's opinions, it does not meet the "CLASSICAL" notion of an outboard. but, without thinking outside of the box, this hobby will stagnate. if the engine, lower, flex, prop & skeg all turn as a unit, it is technically & LEGALLY an outboard, as the current rules are written. ron, just keep doing what you're doing, your boats are fast & handle well B) . make them beat you, it will take some doin', imho!! like terry keeley says "if you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got", or something close to that :p . nobody's asking you to like it ron, or run it. but, as long as it's legal, you will have to race against it. i'm not trying to pick as side here, hell i don't really like a lawless or rek lower, just because they cant the engine foward. looks nothing like a "real" outboard, they all stand up straight, & my ob tunnel engines will also ;) . but this hobby needs all the foward, out of the box thinking it can get, as long as the rules are followed & enforced. see ya'll at the pond :D .
Hey Robbin,

I'm glad you chimed in......... ;) I think you may be getting caught up in the "other" technical points to describe and outboard, instead of the obvious, being an outboard mounted on the transom of the boat. Remember the old saying, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck? This contraption is not an outboard engine. It may have a drive system that moves with the engine, but it is not an outboard. If they can figure out how to mount it OUTSIDE of the boat, on the transom, it will be an outboard. Right now, it's an inboard. Since you are familiar with full size, I don't think this would be allowed on a full size outboard tunnel, do you? Outboards need to be mounted outboard on the transom of the boat, not inboard on a turntable. It's WAY too obvious here and not about running against them. Otto' s didn't finish a heat in Charleston so it's not about not wanting to run against it, it's about keeping the integrity of the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to race once a year because it cost me a lot more to get to the races than most, and becaue to me it's about compition that,s why I go to the tunnel champs where the compition is at the highest , I've race with the best in the world for the last several years

No need to say all there names ,but I consider them all friends ,and if they had a problem with this setup they would have told me ,if this setup Would make it easy to get a tunnels to be faster everybody would be doing it, but it's not ,it still a challeging setup to get working,

At the end of the day I just wan't to race , so if they say I can't race it ,I won't ,because I still have a HORNENT WITH A MAC84

Thanks shane

ron, i couldn't agree with you more. it doesn't looks like a duck, but it does swim & quack like a duck. you may argue swim, but it does drive the prop through the lower, by a flex, i.e.-swim........i very probably will never run one, i like my ob's to look traditional. but that route is obviously not for all. if not an outboard, ron what would you classify it as. it IS NOT an inboard, engine is not mounted solid, nonturning to the hull with a solid,non turning drive system. nor is it an inboard/outboard, with an engine mounted solid, nonturning to the hull, with a pivoting outdrive. yes, as ugly & unconventional as it is, IT IS an outboard. remember when they first brought rear engine cars to indy? what about the first cabover hydros? unconventional? YES!! different? YES!! exploring the rules interpertation? YES!! but all great advancements to their respective sports, & commonly accepted as "the norm" now. i'll have to check the ABPA rules on their take for full scale ob's, been quite a few mango seasons since i raced them. hell, if i had my way, full scale ob's would all still be kneelers, with cable steering :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: .........

I have moved these comments to a new outboard thread...........................

Outboard Motor verses Inboard Motor that acts like an Outboard

Ron bye the way ,we got way off topic, what did you think about servo's size and numbers 1 or 2 servo,s?

Thanks

Ron bye the way ,we got way off topic, what did you think about servo's size and numbers 1 or 2 servo,s?

Thanks

Hahahahaha, sorry about that Shane... ;) I need to send you a picture. It just so happens that I am working on the EXACT same project as you, only mine is mounted outboard of the boat. I am in the testing phases now and I am using two Hitec 855mg's in a push-pull on my F Tunnel. I think it needs this turning power for an outboard of this size. I would be happy to help you any way I can.

Thanks

Hahahahaha, sorry about that Shane... ;) I need to send you a picture. It just so happens that I am working on the EXACT same project as you, only mine is mounted outboard of the boat. I am in the testing phases now and I am using two Hitec 855mg's in a push-pull on my F Tunnel. I think it needs this turning power for an outboard of this size. I would be happy to help you any way I can.
Thanks I would like to see pictures, I ended up going with two 5755 mg , 645 for throttle &85 for 3rd

Go to the new Ml Boatworks website below I am helping Mike Luszcz put together. Go to the nitro tunnels GS480 tab and tell me what you think. You will see a pic of your boat there as well with a gas outboard when Buddy was running it.

http://www.ml-boatworks.com

Ron what lower are you using are you worried about braking flexes? That why I went with the turntable , I was going to use a g morty but the all brake flex's ,and what pipe are you going to use? I have a hopper 13cc pipe and a ob gas hot pipe that's what I was going to try

Ron what lower are you using are you worried about braking flexes? That why I went with the turntable , I was going to use a g morty but the all brake flex's ,and what pipe are you going to use? I have a hopper 13cc pipe and a ob gas hot pipe that's what I was going to try
Shane,

I am using the Lawless Gas Lower. I had someone design me an adapter to mount the RS101 to the lower. I think the reduced torque will be easier on the angled flex. I have uncovered a couple of issues with the lowers and I feel I have corrected all but one. Call me one evening this week and we can talk live about some of the things I have found. I will PM my phone number. I still need someone to help me get the drive shafts for these lowers hardened and bushed properly. I was using the 13cc Hopper Pipe but my method of mounting didn't work and I ended up ripping the mounting nut right out of the pipe.... :( I thought about a gas pipe as well.

Thanks I,ll call you what the best time in the evening, it 6.00 pm here what time is it where you are?

Back