Servo shopping

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

Looking for some honest opinions on 1/8 scale servos. I would like to use the Airtonics 94851 MG digital on steering and the Futaba 3102 micro MG analog on the throttle. Both servos will be brand new and mix will be controlled with the 9B manual needle. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Glenn

NIMH, The problems with analog servos is some company's have stopped producing them. I have mixed analog and digital before without evil results.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries with digital and analog, have done the same. Make sure you're transmitter is set to PPM mode if it's Futaba, don't know how the otehr brands do it. Only thing I noticed was the extra power consumption of the digital servos which is to be expected.

Have the 851MG mounted in my AVL along with the Savox SH-0257 micro for throttle use. The Savox is 7 grams lighter than the Fut 3102, single ball bearing, metal geared and is digital. $10 bucks cheaper than the Futaba. Main reason I went with the Savox is that the mounting and size dimensions are almost identical to the $2 9g import servos and that's what the mount is built around. Had glitch issues in the years past mixing analog with digital,,now it's all of one or the other when I pair servos. Sometimes they get along when they are mixed,,sometimes they don't.

Haven't ran either yet,,on the water. Have the 851MG for steering duties on a non servo saved 1/8 scale offroad for awhile now and it's still going along.

I think Bob got it right as long as the Tx. is in the ppm mode Nothing evil will happen.

3PK here,,and yes ppm with a non reg'd LiFe battery. Had a JR digital mixed with a Airtronics analog in one setup,,and they fought, even with PPM mode enabled. It was the Jr servo. I got away with mixing both a few times with my 3PJ on FM, amazingly. Futaba 3102 is 25 spline which gives you a better selection of arms.,,the Micro Savox is 21, which limits you to what's in the package as of right now, of which gives you a selection of shorts and longs to do the job. Ordered spare gears for it along with some overseas alum arms. The Futaba pulls a bit harder,,but is that needed? I'll take the speedy servo for throttle every day, all day. Can always pull some speed out if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to start a argument Keith, Just looking for the best. The last time I mixed em was on 75MHZ FM. Digital on HT steering and analog on throttle, Haven't tried mixing on 2.4 yet.

Ray, I have heard the digitals draw more juice.

Not trying to start a argument Keith, Just looking for the best. The last time I mixed em was on 75MHZ FM. Digital on HT steering and analog on throttle, Haven't tried mixing on 2.4 yet.

Ray, I have heard the digitals draw more juice.
Pm sent, no disrespect on the use of KISS.............==={}

No problem Glenn,,understood. Just putting it out there. Hold power is unmatched to the old stuff, along with precision. They can gobble battery when stalled(among other spendy things). Make the switch to LiFe if you haven't,. It doesn't hurt to bad and your ahead again. Running a 2 cell 6,6V 1100 mah,, 10C discharge (around 11 amps at full pull depending on variables) . Plugs right into the receiver if you want, on almost all receivers. Seemingly no time constraints as you have with the LiPo's,,they can last for days of use if you so choose, allowing for good judgement.

Amazon prime members can order all most all hi tech servos direct from amazon and get free 2 day shipping. I just did it for throttle and needle servo. And 1$ cheaper than servo city.

Looking for some honest opinions on 1/8 scale servos. I would like to use the Airtonics 94851 MG digital on steering and the Futaba 3102 micro MG analog on the throttle. Both servos will be brand new and mix will be controlled with the 9B manual needle. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Glenn
Sounds like good choices to me.. You will have ZERO issues mixing the two types (as they said as long as you are in PPM) and no need to worry about high current drain from the DIGI.. its not dramatic.

IF.. you are using 5 round cells you are going to be fine. If you decide to use 2S Life please use a regulator.

Regards

Grim

Thanks Grim, I was hoping to hear something positive
default_smile.png
. Radio will be a Futaba on 2.4 and would like to stay with the 5 cell hump battery packs for now. I believe I did read a thread about using non-regulated 6.6 life batteries not long ago and it was not the best choice for everyone.

Latest posts

Back