Schulze ESC's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spuds

I'm in the middle of building an 18cell rigger and had some questions mainly on ESC's. I have a Hacker 9XL and was thinking of running a V937, maybe an X440 don't know just yet.

Anyway I've been looking at the Schulze ESC's like the 102w, and have read / heard good and bad on these. I'd like to get some opinions from the folks on this board with their experiences with this ESC so I can sort out fact from fiction! Some questions that come to mind:

1) Does anyone do extra to improve the splash proof aspect? Like seal the ends or use Aeroplate?

2) The warranty says gold bullet connectors only, anyone use Sermos?

3) The warranty says end to end cells only, anyone run side by side?

4) No more than 8 inches of wire between the batteries and ESC, any other tips here?

Thanks!

Spuds,

1) I've taken all of my Schulze controllers and covered them with conformal coating - It's a 3M product - DP270. You'll need to remove the factory shrink wrap. Also know that if you do this you'll void the factory warranty.

I got so tired of sending my controllers back to Germany for repair that I figured what the heck - I may as well try to seal them - they're no good to me otherwise.

2) I've used Sermos connectors on all my controllers (battery ends only) with no problems.

3) All of my packs are soldered together side by side with Deans battery bars.

4) Keep the battery leads as short as possible. I've shortened all of mine to around 3 or 4 inches.

I've never had a problem with any of my Schulze controllers that wasn't due to getting them wet. I know that not everyone can say that so please don't take my comments as gospel.

Dan

Well, in the old days (13 years ago), we did all that to keep the resistance down on the feed wires. More resistance, less voltage, slower you go. This is back in the day of the 1200 SCR running 05 brushed motors. We liked to run the matched 1200 because you would get a higher volt output on each cell then the 1400. I think that they are trying to do the same. When dealing with the general public, sometimes it is good for the company to make it plain and simple. That way Joe customer doesn't try and do something weird and fry it. Joe customer might not have a clue as to what he is doing and then he tries to blame it on the company.

My 2 cents

Mike

I'm in the middle of building an 18cell rigger and had some questions mainly on ESC's. I have a Hacker 9XL and was thinking of running a V937, maybe an X440 don't know just yet.

Anyway I've been looking at the Schulze ESC's like the 102w, and have read / heard good and bad on these. I'd like to get some opinions from the folks on this board with their experiences with this ESC so I can sort out fact from fiction! Some questions that come to mind:

1) Does anyone do extra to improve the splash proof aspect? Like seal the ends or use Aeroplate?

2) The warranty says gold bullet connectors only, anyone use Sermos?

3) The warranty says end to end cells only, anyone run side by side?

4) No more than 8 inches of wire between the batteries and ESC, any other tips here?

Thanks!
I agree with Dan. The conformal coating is woth the risk of a lost warrenty. I've sent a few controller back to Schulze and they always found a reason to void the warrenty anyway.

That said, I haven't coated mine yet. The boats I have stay pretty dry and any moisture that does get in gets absorbed by sponges I have inside the boat. I also wrap 1 paper towel around the controller just in case. It's like changing the ESC's diaper after every run. So, you can do it that way, or Dan's.

The 9XL will be a pretty conservative motor for 18 cells. I use the 8XL and x440 prop on my 18 cell oval boat. You may want to try a x642 or somthing like that. I doubt the v937 will work that great in oval racing. I've never had any luck with it for the ovals.

Keeping the battery wires short. This will help you from frying your ESC. The length of the battery wires is even more important then the motor wires.

I use Deans plugs on my controller. Also banned by schulze, but Hacker says they are good.

I've run batteries with end to end construction and with bars. End to end is probably better, but they are a little trickier to build and don't like to be dissasembled! If you decide to use bars I promise not to tell schulze!

Last but no least. The Hacker Master 99 or 77 might be worth considering. It's a lot less money and is more water resistant. I've been using them for two years and have only had one 99 fail. It was on 24 cells with a 9XL. Then again, I also lost a schulze 102 on 24 cells. I think you'll be fine on 18 cells though. One thing that these controllers don't tollerate as well is contuned use of partial throttle. If you are going to your boat, run it hard. The faster the better. I like it!

Good luck,

Dick

Thanks for all the information, looks like sideXside and sermos are acceptable for use, especially if you are not pushing the setup to the max and no one tells Schulze (Shhhh)

I agree with Dan. The conformal coating is woth the risk of a lost warrenty. I've sent a few controller back to Schulze and they always found a reason to void the warrenty anyway.
Just speculation on my part, but if you sent it in under your name your straight line reputation probably generated that response :D
I like the papertowel thought, that with a good spray of aeroplate will improve its water resistance ..... I might even consider the 3M coating just to be done once and for all. Is that coating difficult to put on?

Dick, on your prop recommendation, is the V937 just more of a straight line style prop? curious why it does not work as well in oval. I have an X642 that I can use instead.

Thanks for the Master/Navy input, I was also considering one of those but have a oportunity to get a 102w for $275 which seems like a good deal (but still a good deal of money!)

Spuds the Schulze is a good deal?????

The 102wo is a water cooled 88wo.

The Hacker 99 Navy was a 99A controller when it was aircooled - Rainer would not increase the rating when he water cooled it. By Schulze standards it is a 125.

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.com

I have one other question in regard to the cable lenght to the battery.

Is the 8 inches just the final connection or the total amount in the battery loop? Most of my battery leads are 3 inches long and everything I have are 6cell packs. If I were to use 3 of my current packs of 6 I would have 18 inches of total wire in the loop. Is this OK or do I need to do something special such that I have only 8 in the entire loop.

Thanks for the help, I’m brushless challenged!

Andrew,

I think you're thinking of the 88 and 105. The 102 is a 400+ dolllar controller and looks like the 157 with 4 boards.

Spuds,

$275 is a pretty good deal.

The one big advantage the Master/Navy 99 is that it is rated for 8-24 cells (Although I've never got one to work all that great on less then 12 cells) the The Schulze 102 is rated at 16 to 24 cells. I hardly ever use mine because the bulk of my racing is in the 6 to 12 cell range.

The V937 doesn't have much blade area and scrubs a lot of speed in the corners and doesn't accelerate all that well. Your x642 sounds like a good place to start with the 9XL.

In regards to battery wires. In my opinion, just do your best. Trying to get 18 cells, the speed control and everything else in your boat is hard enough.

Good luck,

Dick

Dick

you are right I have the Schulze models confused

Spuds my apology

at $275 it is a big orice reduction for a new controller

However while it is great for FAI plane use where water isnt such a problem. A water protected controller will survive longer in a boat and at $50 lower cost.

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.com

Again thanks for all the information, it’s been extremely helpful. I have decided to go with the Hacker/Navy controller and actually have chosen the 77 vs the 90. I was able to find a new one for 2 bills so I was a happy boy!

Spuds

I think you willfind for your application it will be the best you can currently achieve

Latest posts

Back