Scale Rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joefroooo

I had some time this weekend to make a rudder and bracket assembly for my scale. Im going to put it on the right hand side of the strut. With the rudder and turn fin on the right side I may have some lift on the left hand side from the drag on right. Has anyone ran with the rudder on the right on a scale. I know that all hulls run differently and all set up are at the discretion of the builder. Im thinking possibly some weight in the left sponson or off set the engine in the bay to the left!!!! Whats do you think?

newscaleassembly031-1.jpg
newscaleassembly030-1.jpg
newscaleassembly032-1.jpg

I had some time this weekend to make a rudder and bracket assembly for my scale. Im going to put it on the right hand side of the strut. With the rudder and turn fin on the right side I may have some lift on the left hand side from the drag on right. Has anyone ran with the rudder on the right on a scale. I know that all hulls run differently and all set up are at the discretion of the builder. Im thinking possibly some weight in the left sponson or off set the engine in the bay to the left!!!! Whats do you think?

That looks great Joe! It really turned out well!

As I said I had drawn one up on CAD but couldn't find anyone to make it. You got me all excited now! I want one!

The bracket was made up on the fly. It is made up with 1/4 stainless tubing and 040 flat stock brazed together with 45% silver . Made a jig to hold together while brazing. Rudder was cut from .250 thick 7075 aluminum. The total weight is 125 grams. I need to shorten the rudder and deburr the brackets. Can shave a couple of grams. It is very strong and should hold up under running conditions.

Next in the making is a scale looking turn fin bracket and blade.

Joe

Joe you are one very very good modeler. I ran the Crackerbox you built for me today got it to 50mph using a stock SIIK engine and one of Mikes Hot pipes. Sure is cool to see that monster passing by at those speeds.

Hi Joe - Your set-up looks great!! I have always run the rudder on the right on my scales. I do kind of envy the guys that can make those hard left turns when needed but have been very happy with the way my boats handle "normal" turns. As you say - with a 1/2" or more drivetrain offset & a couple oz added to LF, going left is manageable. Is your bracket bushed with something? FYI - experience has taught me that it is best to keep the angle from the rudder to the turn-fin @ 18 deg or more. This isn't always easy w/ Jones canoes 'cause the afterplane is so long but if the angle is less it may take a ton of rudder to turn the boat! Can't wait to hear how it handles!

Larry K

Joe, me and Phil discussed this last year. His theory is that if you draw a line from the rudder to the turn fin that you want that line intersecting or near the cg at some point. I think it's mostly theory as far as the scales are concerned but it kinda makes sense to me. :huh:

Should work ok on the right. Nice rudder setup :)

The boat pivots on the turn fin so that 18 degree angle Larry talks about is true, less angle and the more it takes to make the boat turn.

Rudder on the left tends to offset some of the turn fin drag and the boats tracks straighter, plus it tends to hold the right sponson down in the turns better. One corner affects the opposite corner somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information on this set up guys. Im sure that I can make it run properly. Wish I had the hull rigged and ready for the water. Still a lot to do on this build. The ICE has thawed and race season is soon. Looking foward to running this set up.

Joe

I have been working on my scale over the past months and almost there. Time to start the install of the engine and drive line. Hopefully this one will last better than last years U-10. Thay rock bank was hard. Joe

U_17_001.jpgU_17_003.jpg

How's yours coming Kevin???? B) B)

Hey Ray,

It's coming along. I am moving forward to my front canard and getting the radio gear installed. Right now I am in the process of graduation and moving to Knoxville to start my residency in July, so the boat is on the back burner until we get settled. I have been looking for pictures of your build. I need to learn how to make molds and parts with vacuum bagging. I was hoping you would get it all figured out for me! ;)

Cheers,

Kevin

I have been working on my scale over the past months and almost there. Time to start the install of the engine and drive line. Hopefully this one will last better than last years U-10. Thay rock bank was hard. JoeView attachment 12800View attachment 12799
Joe,

What boat are you making ? The vertical and horizontal wing position looks way off ?

Never mind, I got it, REDDOT.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working on my scale over the past months and almost there. Time to start the install of the engine and drive line. Hopefully this one will last better than last years U-10. Thay rock bank was hard. JoeView attachment 12800View attachment 12799
Joe,

What boat are you making ? The vertical and horizontal wing position looks way off ?

Never mind, I got it, REDDOT.............
Yep its the DOT a one off boat for sure

Yes, It is U-17 Red Dot. The transom is very different from all the other Unlimiteds. One off is correct. I will be completing up with in the next couple of weeks..

Joe

Joe, nice rudder setup But what got my eye was that rigger in the background looks like one of my setups. That OPS slide carb never got popular.

dmz5s7.jpg

Back