running problem

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertWurster

Got the sport 20 done.took it to pond and it will start but wont reve up.will go about 5 feet and dies.At 3 turns out on os needle it is way ritch i thinck with zoom carb at 2 turns it seems better .but still no revs.i can hold full gas and it just wont rev.im at a loss.it is sucking down the nitro like crazy.its a new nova 5 port 21 21 8ops 3280pipe at 7 3/4.zoom carb .os needle od 99s new tank and hopper.any help would be great.if i cpuld call you let me kmow #And i will call.better to talk to some one.Thanx Robert

Are you starting it backwards? What nitro and what prop. Where is the strut

have you heat cycled the engine a couple times and making sure it is up to heat before tossing in? Sounds way rich and maybe to much prop... You could also try a hotter plug...

starting it right.prop is a X 442 Done by mark shouland.strut is at 3/4 from bottom.50 %grim boat fule.I ran 3 tanks on bench be for i tried to toss it.It wont reve on the bench even.I thoight to rich to bu now im only 2 turns out amd its better but not right.i just dont want to rum it lean on the break in.and im not running any water.Ive ran lots of cars and this is my 5boat.and nevr ran at 2 turms out or less.Glen i ll give you a call in the morning as im on the wesr coast.Thanx

Is it spitting fuel out?? Do you have a third chanel or remote needle? If you cant get it to rev at all it is rich. You want a slight hesitation in the throtle. I'm not a prop guru but maybe for breakin throw something smaller on.

ya it was spitting fule out at 3 turns its an os remote i have a bvj 3rd channel also .I have a M 440 THE 442 IS 39.64 mm dia 3.21 te cup 2.43 " of c.o.b pitch it was reduced.Ill go a bit leanner and see what happens. thanx .I havnt gpt my internet hooked up iny ne house so im on my phone and its hard to type so sorry if typed bad. lol.

Hey Robert,

Going only a few feet and quitting is classic "NOT getting enough fuel". This was very common with most of the K&B marine engines. They would normally really rev up on the beach prior to launch with little load, because they were dead lean. Which O S Max neeedle valve assembly are you using??? Do you have a part # to share???

Do you have a drill index?? If you unscrew the needle valve out of the valve body - what is the largest drill bit you can pass through the spray bar??

I do not run .21 size engines, but we would always run a #54 drill bit which is .055 in. through a spray bar for .40/.45 size engines, and a # 48 drill bit ( .081 in.) for a 60/65/67 so that enough fuel would be supplied to the engines.

You are putting a lot more load on engines in the marine application running a water prop, than the load of an air prop.

I'm thinking Glenn Quarles would be your most valuable source for that particular engine - hands down. CHEERS !!! Bob

Try an O'Donnell red or K&B 1L plug and a X440 prop. My motor didn't want to RPM with any other plug that I tried. I run a X440/3 on my Sport 20 with a broken in motor and 3280 pipe.

Might want to pull your pipe out longer. Could just be me, but Iv'e never been able to get a 3280 to work well on a Nova in any style hull at less than 8". 8 1/8" worked the best in my Blackbird hydro with a 5 port and a pitched up full blade 1450. 8 3/8" was the ticket with a 35+ in my Phil Thomas SS21 with one of Mark's b/c 1440's cupped to 3.3.

Larry

Robert,

Hotter plug OD-77 and less propeller. Try the M-440 it will work better.

I think you have too small of needle valve on your Nova. It is starving

for fuel. Not enough flow thru the needle valve. I run 9B's on even my

12 motors, you want to make sure the the needle can flow enough fuel

to keep the motor from going lean on the top end.

Let Us Know What Worked?

Mark Sholund

Got the sport 20 done.took it to pond and it will start but wont reve up.will go about 5 feet and dies.At 3 turns out on os needle it is way ritch i thinck with zoom carb at 2 turns it seems better .but still no revs.i can hold full gas and it just wont rev.im at a loss.it is sucking down the nitro like crazy.its a new nova 5 port 21 21 8ops 3280pipe at 7 3/4.zoom carb .os needle od 99s new tank and hopper.any help would be great.if i cpuld call you let me kmow #And i will call.better to talk to some one.Thanx Robert
Just a thought!!! Didn't happen to me, but someone I used to run boats with

While you were setting up the boat, did you have a paper towel rolled and stuffed into the exhaust port or header and possably forgot to remove it at final assembly?

have a look inside the pipe now,, as the paper towel will be back at the stinger

no paper.Talked to glen took out a shim .need to find a 4thousands brass shim to get it beter head clearance. its raining hard to doy so will have to waite to test it now.if any one has a spare shim let me know. thanx guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered my head shims to day,will replace the copper one with .004 and run one alum shim as glenn said to get the clearences right,My work trip got posponed so when they get here if its not rainning ill give it a nother shot.did have a little leak on the header sill.Fixed that.so will see what happens.

Went and ran the boat to day .It was a bit windy and chopy.With the head clearence set right it ran great with the bvj needel and a x 440 prop stock just s/b.Had to re do the throttle linckage it was sticking at full throttle,so had to limit the ep to about 3/4 throttle.I also slowed the throttle speed down some and limmit the rudder .it may be a bit long.All in all im happy with the way it ran .next time im going to see if i can slow the rudder speed down to it is real sencitive it spun out a couple of times.The virgina craftman fin works great.and i love the zoom carb.Would like to thanx Glenn ,steave ,Dick ,Charels,and every one else here for either parts or help.

ya it gets my addren pumping .Now i need to settle down when running everything happens so fast.lol I love the 4 pl it has so much ajustments i never had be for.Thanx Keven.

Back