Rum Runner Cup extended to any RC boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowebar

I just got an e-mail from Don Wollard of Rum Runner Racing who asked me if I'd post a message for him on a few of the Nitro/Gas boards. In the past he has offered a trophy to any electric boat which reached a certain speed, one that had never been reached before. The first was for 80 MPH which I picked up, then 100 and then 120. Joerg Mrkwitschka of Germany picked up the last two. He is offering a 140 MPH cup now and has opened it up to any R/C boat.

I pulled the rules from their site and pasted them below. I doesn't seem that they have included a provision for Nitro/Gas yet however I'm sure that will change. As it stands for electric, any class santioned for us is legal for the challange. I'm sure the same standards will be set for Nitro/Gas.

- Any speed trial which is sanctioned by IMPBA or NAMBA will be considered legal. The course must be 1/16th mile in length (330 Feet) and use an electronic, laser, infrared system to trip the timers. The timer must be certified prior to and after the run by an official of the sponsoring organization. The official speed will be the average of a two way run, back to back.

- The Event must be open to the general public as well as members of the sanctioning body. Public notice must be made through normal channels prior to a speed trial event. Event known in advance may be posted on the Rum Runner Racing web site.

- The event must be witness by 3 individuals, not related by blood or business (work) to the driver or team. Onsite officials from the sanctioning body must sign and have two witnesses on the official time keepers form. The original form must be submitted for application for the Rum Runner Cup along with a color photo of the winning boat and driver.

- Individuals, professional racers and factory teams are welcome.

- There will be no restriction as to the motor type, boat design, hardware used, number of batteries or type of batteries. However any boater racing of the Rum Runner Cup under a sanctioning body must abide by that bodies rules regarding any of the above.

- The Rum Runner Cup is a Silver Open Cup approximately 15 1/2" tall, with a 7" wide Walnut Finished Base. Start checking your mantel for size!

Last edited by a moderator:
crowebar said:
- The Event must be open to the general public as well as members of the sanctioning body.
Is this person suggesting that non-members be allowed to participate in the event or just that the public can come and watch if they wish?

Mark

The latter. I haven't been to a race yet that was closed to the general public. They are always encouraged to watch, that's where future racers come from. Some sites even have bleachers set up for people to watch.

140 MPH, that's some serious numbers. I think that trophy is going to be sitting in a box for a while!

oh man why didn't i get one of those 200 mph cruisers from fleabay :D just kidding, seeing a boat go 140 would be really cool, i'll have to keep my ears open

Hmmm, this didn't get many replies. :huh:

There are a few guys who run SAW on here, what would 140mph take? Is current engine power levels adequate? Are bigger engines better for SAW (thus a 30cc nitro engine may be better?). Would it take new prop technology? Fundamental hull re-design? Bungee boat launches!!? Magic fuels? Variable pipe geometry? Multi-speed transmissions? Over-drive transmissions? :blink:

Ian.

LOL All of the above Ian,

140??? Hell the moon is closer to reality than 140 for most of us.

Its not WHEN Its how many destroyed BOATS trying to break that speed.

Most boats come apart over 90 when they flip.

Tom

Ian, hull redesign, I'd say yes for sure. Larger engines, no. I remember way back when, in the quest for 100 MPH, people were thinking that in order to go 100 that you had to have twin .90's and exotic motors to do it. Andy proved that it could be done with 1 motor and not a big one either! Multi-speed trannies? Interesting because if you had the torque it might be done. Is the tough part the rules limitations or that the technology not here yet?

Unofficially there have been 130 MPH+ runs but haven't been backed up. Should the length of the timed area be shortened to like 60' instead of 330' ? Remember that the boats are still accelerating at the beginning of the 330' run unless they would be run on a much larger pond.

Latest posts

Back