RTR Sport

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I felt the Deuce would best fit into the mod class since it was more like a District 8 mod 18 RTR than a District 8 stock 18 RTR. The only thing I changed was the prop. Next time I run the Deuce, it will have the Grim Fin on it. The fin that comes with the boat works fine for sport running. But, in race conditions the larger Grim Fin provides better cornering.

IMO, the Super Tigre engine/tuned muffler pipe is the biggest reason for the performance gains. A stock AQ crank is .235 bore, the ST crank bore is .262. And, the ST crank is way more substancial than the AQ crank. I really don't think snapping cranks is going to be a problem with the ST. The AQ carb is .209 bore, the ST carb is .263 bore. The engine is strong. It also burns more fuel. In the first heat, I was leading by 1/2 a lap with a lap remaining and ran out of fuel. We were racing on a 6 lap, one mile course and I started at the beginning of the two minute start time. The muffled pipe reduces the noise level by a noticeable amount.

JD

Jerry,

Are you using/did you race with the stock 2.4 radio?

No visible rec. antenna at all?

I'm skeptical for sure and I don't like the dials...but it is 2.4

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I agreed with the changes you proposed earlier about upgrading the MV and running the Deuce and the MV in a stock class. However I feel a mod class would be bad for RTR because I think you would then have everybody tinklering with engine mods and racing a mod RTR and no stock. I think we ought to be able to upgrade the MV with any parts the Deuce has. One class RTR, whether you call it stock or sport. You introduce a mod class and you might as well run it in Sport 20.
Aaron

As it pertains to our district, I think we only have enough support now for an RTR Sport class. The mod class is for the IMPBA nation as a whole since there are many clubs that race both classes currently. Here in D14 we only race the stock class at this point. My focus is on the RTR sport class; I just wanted everyone to understand that the RTR Sport class doesn't encompass the guys that want to modify the daylights out of the hull and drive system. I don't know who the great wizard is in D14 that can approve the Sport class for our district but I would like to speak with them and get a vote from those that run the class. The mod class is for a later day since we don't have it here in D14.

Chris
Chris, I am bringing a ready to run to Hobart. Does D14 allow opening up the cowl for better air flow, a Grim turn fin, any rudder mods, a larger fuel tank? It is my feeling the Duece has to qualify for stock RTR and any Vegas can be upgraded. We must all remember this is a ready to run class not a Vegas this or that class. You buy it from a Hobby shop it's a RTR

I agreed with the changes you proposed earlier about upgrading the MV and running the Deuce and the MV in a stock class. However I feel a mod class would be bad for RTR because I think you would then have everybody tinklering with engine mods and racing a mod RTR and no stock. I think we ought to be able to upgrade the MV with any parts the Deuce has. One class RTR, whether you call it stock or sport. You introduce a mod class and you might as well run it in Sport 20.
Aaron

As it pertains to our district, I think we only have enough support now for an RTR Sport class. The mod class is for the IMPBA nation as a whole since there are many clubs that race both classes currently. Here in D14 we only race the stock class at this point. My focus is on the RTR sport class; I just wanted everyone to understand that the RTR Sport class doesn't encompass the guys that want to modify the daylights out of the hull and drive system. I don't know who the great wizard is in D14 that can approve the Sport class for our district but I would like to speak with them and get a vote from those that run the class. The mod class is for a later day since we don't have it here in D14.

Chris
Chris, I am bringing a ready to run to Hobart. Does D14 allow opening up the cowl for better air flow, a Grim turn fin, any rudder mods, a larger fuel tank? It is my feeling the Duece has to qualify for stock RTR and any Vegas can be upgraded. We must all remember this is a ready to run class not a Vegas this or that class. You buy it from a Hobby shop it's a RTR
I'm not Chris but being from D14 maybe I can help. D14 requires stock motor, no sponson mods. It was changed this year to allow us to change the pipe on it. As far as your air flow, a grim turn fin and larger fuel tank yes. Rudder, not sure, never heard anything about rudder mods in D14. I guess that would depend on what kind a mod your talking about.

As for the Deuce being an RTR, yes and no. Yes you can buy it RTR, but the way our rules are set up at this point in D14, it is worded that the motor has to be from the same manufacturer as boat. And since they upgraded motor and did the sponson mods, it is NOT same as a stock RTR per D14 rules. I believe this is why some of us would like to see changes to this class now. The Deuce has definately raised the bar.

District3 we run stock with the mod and the stock does just fine i see leaving the Duce in the mod class why make a new class of sport when the RTR class is already made up for the MV and Supervee

in D14, it is worded that the motor has to be from the same manufacturer as boat. And since they upgraded motor and did the sponson mods, it is NOT same as a stock RTR per D14 rules. I believe this is why some of us would like to see changes to this class now. The Deuce has definately raised the bar.
Odd rule, but you realize that even though the old MV motor is stamped "AQ", that aquacraft did NOT manufacturer it...It was made by OS. From their website "O.S.-made AquaCraft .18 marine offers..."

So if I am understanding your rules correctly, the old MV is not an RTR either by your rules... Whether the motor is made by OS or by thunder tiger, if it is an OEM motor, it should not matter who made it. I am betting this is what your rules meant, if not what they said.

As to the sponsons being modified...they are not modded if they came from the manufacturer like that. They are stock from the manufacturer...

Seems like folks are losing track of the whole purpose of the stock RTR class. The purpose of the class was to allow people to get into the hobby as cheap and easy as possible. Folks should be able to buy an RTR boat off the shelf and run it in the stock RTR class. Seems like the old timers are more worried about losing a race than about expanding our hobby.

What are folks supposed to do a year from now when their old MV hulls are wore out and no one is allowed to run the Deuce in stock RTR??

Stock is stock...if it came from the manufacturer a certain way, then that is stock. The old rules used to say that you could use any new hardware off a newer release on an older hull. I think the thought was about things like the turn fin on the MV...but I think this should be expanded to include the engine and exhaust. If folks don't want to have to buy a whole new boat, they can buy the ST engine and pipe. I took second in a recent race, where they combined all RTRs together in one class, with a stock MV. Its not always the fastest boat that wins.

If folks add a bunch of drama into buying a boat off the shelf and running it, you are going to chase people away from the hobby.

By making a new boater run his stock boat against, CVRM, and TZ engines, you are putting him at just as much of a disadvantage as the folks running a stock MV against a stock Deuce. So you are forcing a new hobbyist to dump more money into his boat to be competitive...which is the exact opposite of what the stock RTR class is all about.

Sean

in D14, it is worded that the motor has to be from the same manufacturer as boat. And since they upgraded motor and did the sponson mods, it is NOT same as a stock RTR per D14 rules. I believe this is why some of us would like to see changes to this class now. The Deuce has definately raised the bar.
Odd rule, but you realize that even though the old MV motor is stamped "AQ", that aquacraft did NOT manufacturer it...It was made by OS. From their website "O.S.-made AquaCraft .18 marine offers..."

So if I am understanding your rules correctly, the old MV is not an RTR either by your rules... Whether the motor is made by OS or by thunder tiger, if it is an OEM motor, it should not matter who made it. I am betting this is what your rules meant, if not what they said.

As to the sponsons being modified...they are not modded if they came from the manufacturer like that. They are stock from the manufacturer...

Seems like folks are losing track of the whole purpose of the stock RTR class. The purpose of the class was to allow people to get into the hobby as cheap and easy as possible. Folks should be able to buy an RTR boat off the shelf and run it in the stock RTR class. Seems like the old timers are more worried about losing a race than about expanding our hobby.

What are folks supposed to do a year from now when their old MV hulls are wore out and no one is allowed to run the Deuce in stock RTR??

Stock is stock...if it came from the manufacturer a certain way, then that is stock. The old rules used to say that you could use any new hardware off a newer release on an older hull. I think the thought was about things like the turn fin on the MV...but I think this should be expanded to include the engine and exhaust. If folks don't want to have to buy a whole new boat, they can buy the ST engine and pipe. I took second in a recent race, where they combined all RTRs together in one class, with a stock MV. Its not always the fastest boat that wins.

If folks add a bunch of drama into buying a boat off the shelf and running it, you are going to chase people away from the hobby.

By making a new boater run his stock boat against, CVRM, and TZ engines, you are putting him at just as much of a disadvantage as the folks running a stock MV against a stock Deuce. So you are forcing a new hobbyist to dump more money into his boat to be competitive...which is the exact opposite of what the stock RTR class is all about.

Sean
I'll go with whatever is decided. Your right, the Deuce is bought as is. As for the AQ on the aquamotor. Yes, OS makes them but OS also makes other .18's that we cant use. When I got into this last year, I was told stock was: ex: Proboat motor with Probaot hulls and Aquacraft motors with Aquacraft hulls. I see everybody's complaint here but when it comes down to it, throw the Deuce and the older Mv in a class together, I'll run it. I dont think none of us wants to chase anybody away. I just DONT wanna see one boat out stinking up the show by lapping everyone either.

well in out district i cant run my cvrm in rtr mod to keep cost down, i wonder if i should be able to cause of the ST motor being better powered?

come on jerry ya know ya wanna let me lol! just kidding

well in out district i cant run my cvrm in rtr mod to keep cost down, i wonder if i should be able to cause of the ST motor being better powered?
You can run your CVRM/MV in Sport 20 at District 8 races. :D At the next District 8 race on June 20, I'm going to race the Deuce in Stock RTR since two guys in our club say they can kick my Deuce's transom with their MV/AQ 18s. Only one way to find out.

JD

Aaron

Chris
I'm not Chris but being from D14 maybe I can help. D14 requires stock motor, no sponson mods. It was changed this year to allow us to change the pipe on it. As far as your air flow, a grim turn fin and larger fuel tank yes. Rudder, not sure, never heard anything about rudder mods in D14. I guess that would depend on what kind a mod your talking about.

As for the Deuce being an RTR, yes and no. Yes you can buy it RTR, but the way our rules are set up at this point in D14, it is worded that the motor has to be from the same manufacturer as boat. And since they upgraded motor and did the sponson mods, it is NOT same as a stock RTR per D14 rules. I believe this is why some of us would like to see changes to this class now. The Deuce has definately raised the bar.

Thanks Aron Bill

From what I have experienced.. RTR in dist 14 (Hobart) is a "Sport Hydro"....

I tried others and got the boot!

Not complaining.. just stating.

Grim

You can run your CVRM/MV in Sport 20 at District 8 races. :D At the next District 8 race on June 20, I'm going to race the Deuce in Stock RTR since two guys in our club say they can kick my Deuce's transom with their MV/AQ 18s. Only one way to find out.

JD

Jerry: I don't know if I am one of those guy's, but count me in with my stock boat, should be a kick in the pants. I had a blast at Eugene with these boats.

From what I have experienced.. RTR in dist 14 (Hobart) is a "Sport Hydro"....
I tried others and got the boot!

Not complaining.. just stating.

Grim
Grim, what you mean, you tried others?
I signed up a (bone stock) Super Vee 27 in the RTR lclass ast year.. showed up with the boat, and was told I could not run it as it was not a hydro..

O well.. it just was not clear.. I was told yea i could run it when I signed it up, and no when i showed with the boat.

Grim

JD

Jerry: I don't know if I am one of those guy's, but count me in with my stock boat, should be a kick in the pants. I had a blast at Eugene with these boats.
Your Miss Vegas was really running well in Eugene, Rick. It will definitely be one of the comparison boats.

JD

Seems like the old timers are more worried about losing a race than about expanding our hobby.
Sean
Sean I am not worried about the old timers. I am worried about the guys that just got into racing this year or last year and now may possible have a hull that is not competitive. I just don't want the newer guys to get discouraged and walk away. As far as me personally, my son is running a stock hull with no modifications this year. He will be running original hull, pipe and engines. I want to show that it is not always about the fastest boat.

Thanks,

Chris

Back