RTR Sport

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscrash

Supporting Member
Just got back from Evansville. I watched Chuck Hildreth pilot the new Vegas Deuce to a dominating performance in completely stock form. All respect to Chuckie for denying the first place trophy and allowing my son to take third overall. The new Deuce is faster than all of the other RTR boats. However the driver was also extremely experienced and the combination of the two was too much to overcome. The RTR class is growing and will be evolving over the next few years. Congratulations to Hobbico for continuing to update and innovate their hulls.

Since there has been so many changes to this new boat, maybe we should consider having RTR sport at least in district 14 similar to the way we run B sport tunnel. Here are my suggestions for the class:

Stock motor in any current or past production of this boat

Stock pipe from any production version (any pipe the manufacturer introduces as either a production item or hop up part from them)

Stock turn fin from any production version

Stock rudder " " " "

Any prop

Front sponson modifications in ride pad area allowed to allow competitiveness with all production versions of the hulls.

I think if we keep this light and rule limited we can develop a class of boats that will allow changes with time and keep those with previous versions of the hull competitive. Each district can set their own rules for classes that are not specifically layed out -- like RTR. I think we should move forward to develop this class as listed above and with recommendations from other fellow boaters.

Chris Jenkins

i love this idea, some of my fellow boaters were wondering what would happen with the new hull and sponsons when some of us just cant go buy the newest version, not to mention new motor and pipe combo

i love this idea, some of my fellow boaters were wondering what would happen with the new hull and sponsons when some of us just cant go buy the newest version, not to mention new motor and pipe combo
The NEW DEUCE has most definitely raised the bar WOW

Down in Florida we run the mod RTRs which i think the Duce would fit into very nicely

Down in Florida we run the mod RTRs which i think the Duce would fit into very nicely
I'm not sure this is a good idea. As new boaters enter this hobby through RTR racing are you guys forcing them to either spend additional dollars and compete against the Mod guys or are they to search for a used Miss Vegas, since they are no longer made, so that they can compete in the more cost/user friendly stock RTR?What happens when Aquacraft introduces a new RTR in a couple of years? Then what boat is the stock RTR boat --the old miss vegas, the deuce which will no longer be in production also, or the new one? If the deuce was forced to race as a mod RTR then the stock RTR class will be gone in a season or two. Only those that currently have the Miss Vegas can run in stock RTR? I don't think the Deuce would be competitive against the mods without additional dollars spent also.

I thank you for the reply, but I don't think it solves our problems. That's why I think we should look at it as a sport version instead of a stock version. Thanks for the input, let's keep the ideas flowing.

I think thats a wonderful idea. We have to come up with something to keep up with that Deuce. It was pretty fast this weekend. Before you know it everybody that can go out and get a new Deuce will have one and us with the older Vegas will just be in the way.

I raced the Deuce in our District 8 Mod 18 RTR Class on Sunday. Although the boat ran well, some of the guys in our District are considering purchasing the Super Tigre 18 and quiet pipe and upgrading their MVs.

JD

The Deuce is fast, but a bone stock vegas was the race winner and took two heat race wins and first overall. I just had to put that in for you Jerry. It was some fun racing in that class yesterday, probably the most competitive class all day.

Fast doesnt always win my wife is running stock supervee against these mods and taken home trophy every time.

I agree, fast doesn't always win, but when the deuce is driven by Jerry Dunlap and I think he knows how to drive a boat, you have to be on your A game to beat him with a stock boat in a Mod class, my boat is fast and probably faster than some Mod boats, but it was some very competitive and fun racing. we were all laughing and congratulating each other after every race, just a total blast.

I raced the Deuce in our District 8 Mod 18 RTR Class on Sunday. Although the boat ran well, some of the guys in our District are considering purchasing the Super Tigre 18 and quiet pipe and upgrading their MVs.
JD
So is your deuce modded? Why did you run it with the mod class?(if stock) Seems clear that it is faster..still needs to be driven. But does it warrent a new class? Congrats on the new boats success!

The Deuce is fast, but a bone stock vegas was the race winner and took two heat race wins and first overall. I just had to put that in for you Jerry. It was some fun racing in that class yesterday, probably the most competitive class all day.
Is your MV modded? same question...why were you running it in the mod class?(if stock)

Just curious here guys....this will be an ongoing situation for a while! I think it's a GOOD thing!

Dan: my mod boat doesn't run as well as this stock boat does. I don't see any reason to make another class, If the Deuce is faster than Most stock vegas boats then let it run in mod class. In the dist 8 region we run a stock and mod class, our rules allow putting the Deuce motor and pipe into the old vegas boats, so most people will probably do that.

I like the challenge of running a stock boat against the mod boats, and like this weekend winning the class. my vegas is bone stock, grim turn fin,grim 36x55 prop, 50% fuel.

the Deuce was stock, driven by Jerry and this boat didn't have much run time on it so he really wasn't leaning on it much. I think given more time to tune the engine and set the boat up it will be clearly faster than the old stock boats. one thing it does is drink the fuel, the stock tank was dry after a race with no extra laps and starting after every one else to save fuel.

JD
So is your deuce modded? Why did you run it with the mod class?(if stock) Seems clear that it is faster..still needs to be driven. But does it warrent a new class? Congrats on the new boats success!

Is your MV modded? same question...why were you running it in the mod class?(if stock)

Just curious here guys....this will be an ongoing situation for a while! I think it's a GOOD thing!
I felt the Deuce would best fit into the mod class since it was more like a District 8 mod 18 RTR than a District 8 stock 18 RTR. The only thing I changed was the prop. Next time I run the Deuce, it will have the Grim Fin on it. The fin that comes with the boat works fine for sport running. But, in race conditions the larger Grim Fin provides better cornering.

IMO, the Super Tigre engine/tuned muffler pipe is the biggest reason for the performance gains. A stock AQ crank is .235 bore, the ST crank bore is .262. And, the ST crank is way more substancial than the AQ crank. I really don't think snapping cranks is going to be a problem with the ST. The AQ carb is .209 bore, the ST carb is .263 bore. The engine is strong. It also burns more fuel. In the first heat, I was leading by 1/2 a lap with a lap remaining and ran out of fuel. We were racing on a 6 lap, one mile course and I started at the beginning of the two minute start time. The muffled pipe reduces the noise level by a noticeable amount.

JD

Thanks guys....a real world explanation.

Atleast we know one thing for sure....the deuce needs a bigger fuel tank!

My 2 cents, is that the new boat, should be raced in the stock class unless it is modified. Yes, it will beat the other stock boats with all else equal (which it normally is not)...but the class is supposed to be for folks that buy a stock RTR off the shelf, which the deuce is, and to be able to run it. Otherwise, what can any new boater off the street do to get in the stock class?? The RTR class was visioned to be a way of getting new boaters into the hobby (worked for me)...so a new boater should be able to buy the boat off the shelf and race it in the stock class.

I also think that any part of the deuce that can fit on the older MVs should be allowed on the older boats in the stock class. This includes engines, and pipes (BTW, the pipe it too long to fit without moving the pipe mounting block)

Sean

My 2 cents, is that the new boat, should be raced in the stock class unless it is modified. Yes, it will beat the other stock boats with all else equal (which it normally is not)...but the class is supposed to be for folks that buy a stock RTR off the shelf, which the deuce is, and to be able to run it. Otherwise, what can any new boater off the street do to get in the stock class?? The RTR class was visioned to be a way of getting new boaters into the hobby (worked for me)...so a new boater should be able to buy the boat off the shelf and race it in the stock class.
I also think that any part of the deuce that can fit on the older MVs should be allowed on the older boats in the stock class. This includes engines, and pipes (BTW, the pipe it too long to fit without moving the pipe mounting block)

Sean
Sean,

You and I agree 100%. The new deuce should be in the stock RTR class. However the older versions of the MV won't compete from what I saw. That's why I want to introduce two classes of RTR; RTR Sport and RTR mod.

I agreed with the changes you proposed earlier about upgrading the MV and running the Deuce and the MV in a stock class. However I feel a mod class would be bad for RTR because I think you would then have everybody tinklering with engine mods and racing a mod RTR and no stock. I think we ought to be able to upgrade the MV with any parts the Deuce has. One class RTR, whether you call it stock or sport. You introduce a mod class and you might as well run it in Sport 20.

I agreed with the changes you proposed earlier about upgrading the MV and running the Deuce and the MV in a stock class. However I feel a mod class would be bad for RTR because I think you would then have everybody tinklering with engine mods and racing a mod RTR and no stock. I think we ought to be able to upgrade the MV with any parts the Deuce has. One class RTR, whether you call it stock or sport. You introduce a mod class and you might as well run it in Sport 20.

Here in district 8 we have what seems to be a strong showing in both classes. Why would you NOT want someone "tinkering" with there engines? What they should go spend 200$ for a 21 and tinker with that first? RTR is a stepping stone, I started with 1 MV now I have as my sig shows all the way up to a sport 40, if I didn't learn how to mod my cheap motors I would NEVER try a more expensive one. Just my two bits......

Aaron

As it pertains to our district, I think we only have enough support now for an RTR Sport class. The mod class is for the IMPBA nation as a whole since there are many clubs that race both classes currently. Here in D14 we only race the stock class at this point. My focus is on the RTR sport class; I just wanted everyone to understand that the RTR Sport class doesn't encompass the guys that want to modify the daylights out of the hull and drive system. I don't know who the great wizard is in D14 that can approve the Sport class for our district but I would like to speak with them and get a vote from those that run the class. The mod class is for a later day since we don't have it here in D14.

Chris

Aaron

As it pertains to our district, I think we only have enough support now for an RTR Sport class. The mod class is for the IMPBA nation as a whole since there are many clubs that race both classes currently. Here in D14 we only race the stock class at this point. My focus is on the RTR sport class; I just wanted everyone to understand that the RTR Sport class doesn't encompass the guys that want to modify the daylights out of the hull and drive system. I don't know who the great wizard is in D14 that can approve the Sport class for our district but I would like to speak with them and get a vote from those that run the class. The mod class is for a later day since we don't have it here in D14.

Chris
Got cha, Sport class now, mod later. Only reason I spoke against a mod class opio is like Chris said, we really dont have that big of showing in RTR's in D14 yet. Although it did grow some from last year. I do agree with the Sport class, because the older MV is gonna need something to run with the Deuce. Wouldn't something like that fall under Bruce??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back