Removing wax from cured west systems epoxy?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiantScale

Iv heard that you should wash cured west systems epoxy with soap & water between coats. But I have some hollow sponsons which recieved water last time I did that (through a few pin holes) and took a week to dry out : :)

Would laquer thinner work just as well?

Its a epoxy hull..

Thanks

Mike

I dont wash at all. I scrape it with a razor, then apply the second coat

I would sand between coats, all the information I found says to sand also. I have always sanded the glossy surface off to make sure it turns out right. I would think it is eaiser to scuff it up now rather than sand off a bad coat of epoxy.

-MikeP

isitcuredyet.. ;D

I also used to only sand.

Mike: The tub & parts are all block sanded straight 320(no more waves) but in doing so, I uncovered a few more air bubbles.

I guess my question is if the wax & or curing byproducts effect the next coats adhiesion? & if soap & water mysteriously cleans better than laquer thinner.

This is my first epoxy hull so this is a learning process for me. Im tempted to fill all holes first with W.S. epoxy & micro balloons once. Sand 320.. Then use high build (5 mil)S.W. aerospace epoxy primmer to finish off. Thing is.. Iv never painted either : :) & its getting cold :'(

What grit would a few coats of 5 mil primmer fill?

Thanks

Mike

I have only finished 1 epoxy glass cowl.

I scuffed it and had a buddy shoot the thick primer on. Then I could see the pin holes the primer didn't get (and any other flaws) I filled them with a dab of epoxy/micro balloons then finished sanded the primer.(not sanding through the primer)

I was told 400 before primer, 600 after primer

-MikeP

Doing a good job of evading your question about soap and water ;D

Once I get something sanded I leave it alone, bare, raw, fresh sanded surface works for me.

-MikeP

MikeK

I had heard about the soap and water trick and tried it on an epoxy finished boat before I glued servo mounts in. It didn't work, the mounts fell out! Not nice in a 90 rigger! Sand it! ;D

Nitrocrazed racing; Keeping things interesting.

Just to make sure we all on the same page, this is pertaining to a part that is pulled from a mold. The reason you need to wash it is to remove the PVA or what ever mold redlease you use. Anytime you need to glue to the smooth side of that part you will need to scuff the surface. The rough side does not need any to get a good bond.

Mike

If you are using West Systems to coat wood, you can wipe down with acetone before you sand so your sandpaper doesn't load up so easy. Takes the wax off, and dries fast.

Hope this helps.

Back