Recovery Pad design

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozbryan

I'm interested to hear what peoples experiences are with different types of blocks. Shapes, lengths, depths.

I have just run a boat with no blocks and when I put them on the difference was amazing in how much it pulled the nose down in a straight line.

Before putting them on the boat was very fast and stable but would not turn well. Putting them on without changing the setup fixed the turning issue completely including the understeer but the amount the nose was pulled down really got me thinking.

The blocks I used were off an old TS2.

From my knowledge. The blocks that work best are about 1/8" below the sponson and have a straight angle, not a curved angle. I will add having a straight or better yet a back cut on the transom side. Like in fig.1. not 2.

IMAG2456.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I set mine up to run very aired out, but you can tune also.......

All a matter of driver habits and setup,

Gene

Pics in gallery:

These different designs have to effect tunnel compression long short wide etc.

Yea to me its all about pack'n air on tha straights,

And controlling nose drop on the turn in,

Gene

Gene the small ones up the front of your sponson are interesting.

What do you believe these help with?

I like your idea with the two steps on the block. That might be worth trying.

Hey Bryan,

If I overcooked the turn in (by design not a white knuckle hull)

The right sponson would bite and stuff or barrel roll.

The two lil wedges create just enough lift to prevent this.

Borrowed the idea from Carl V
default_wink.png

Gene

Yup, Didnt want to cut into ride surface,

So tryed the wedge and sanded for effect.

Gene

I believe them my have help one of my old hulls. Will have to keep that in mind.

I set mine up to run very aired out, but you can tune also.......

All a matter of driver habits and setup,

Gene
Gene,

this is very interesting what you did there....!!!!!!!!

I will keep this in mind when problems show up next time....

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the compliment Gene but Tommy Lee was the first to use the ASP's (Anti Spin Pads) on his XT-460 tunnel boat. The ASP's are what refined the tunnel hull in the turns and is one of the biggest advances for tunnel boat designs to that point. Before that, tunnel boats spent a large part of their time darting into the infield and sometimes taking three or four boats with it. They caused major lane infractions circling around trying to pickup buoy cuts. I was racing when they came along. It was insane before that. I wish I had of been the one to come up with them but Tommy Lee and Rod should get credit for that idea.

-Carl

Carl can u go more in depth on your design with the step on the pad and your opinion on how the work?

Todd,

ASP's will trim the bite of the sponsons in the turns (IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS AT LEAST CLOSE). They can only do so much because their surface area is quite small in comparison to the length of a sponson. If you have a sponson that is way off, it won't stop a sponson that is really digging in hard. The double angle ASP's on my models act as a two stage step and only use what is needed to turn the boat. It works. It is the only improvement I have ever been able to make to the original design that Tommy came out with back in the 80's. I did develop that part of ASP design and I have it on all my boats. I spent months doing nothing but testing ASP design. They are similar but custom to each boat.

-Carl

Thanks Carl Good stuff..... P.s need to design that bow sight we talked about a few years back!!! if u remember !!!

Jack Garcia taught me to sand the inside edge of the sponson toward the bow (where you start the edge, depends on how much your nose comes down in the turns) at a 45 degree angle, keeping the edges sharp

This flat 45 degree edge was about 1/4" wide to start, if your boat continues to hook, you can either widen the 45 degree edge or make it face the water more to keep the nose up in the turns....boat carries of ton of speed thru the turns and you can tune how hard the boat sets by altering the dimensions of the inside edge...jack thought the stumble blocks created more drag by comparison...but still work nonetheless

jack's bandit boats seemed to accelerate in the turns when you set this up correctly, full gas snap turns on the bouys were the order of the day....i brought block sanders to the pond, didn't leave til it did snap turns full gas...lol....

if you look close, you can see the unlimited hydroplanes do this on the inside running surface....controls ride height in the turns

just another way to get the same thing done

Lennard,

That was a trick full size tunnels used as well as the RC tunnels. I had the original Lee Craft tunnels before the XT SERIES of tunnels that incorporated the ASP's. Both the 20 and 40 used this trick on the inside edge of the right sponsons to limit some of the "bite" in the turns. Works very well.

1/4 inch wide wow ?????? Are u taking the edge of the inside sponson off ??????

Back