Receiver antenna wire?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

I am looking to replace the antenna wire on my receivers anyone know what type of wire to use, and length I believe it is supposed to be 18 inches ?.. Thanks Tony Jacuzzi

TJ,

I get the wire from Tower. I believe radio lengths are a bit different, so you have to double check. What radio wire lengths do you need. I have quite a few RXs I can measure.

Here is the link for the Futaba, I've purchased the Black JR wire from them also. Usually one pack will do 2 radios

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...UTM1600&P=K

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ,
I get the wire from Tower. I believe radio lengths are a bit different, so you have to double check. What radio wire lengths do you need. I have quite a few RXs I can measure.

Here is the link for the Futaba, I've purchased the Black JR wire from them also. Usually one pack will do 2 radios

Hi Walt they are the Futaba 133F series

Antenna lengths vary even with the same reciever because they chop the wire close to what the length is, then solder and tune the reciever to the length. It's best to measure your wire close as possible before you de-solder it then solder the new one on, then measure and cut to length same as the old one.

TJ,

Hi Walt they are the Futaba 133F series
19.125" measured from the outside of the RX

Tony

Replacing the antenna wire you have to send your RX out to get it retuned.All RX aren't the same on antenna lengths.

Dave Roach

TonyReplacing the antenna wire you have to send your RX out to get it retuned.All RX aren't the same on antenna lengths.

Dave Roach
I suggest the same thing. In addition to the challenge of soldering on a small circuit board, unless one has the equipment and training to retune the receiver, it's going to be a crapshoot what kind of range one can get with it when done.

Aren't all 133F antennas the same length or very close?

And if you use the Futaba wire, why would it have to be re calibrated?

Would .125"- .250 variance make any noticeable difference?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't all 133F antennas the same length or very close?And if you use the Futaba wire, why would it have to be re calibrated?

Would .125"- .250 variance make any noticeable difference?

Thanks.
In a word, yes.

Replacing the receiver antenna wire is much more critical if you are flying model airplanes because of the distance involved. It is much less critical with boats and cars. In my opinion and my experience you will be fine if you can get the replacement antenna wire within 1/4" or so of what the original wire was. As always to be on the safe side, do a long distance radio check on shore BEFORE you run the boat................

Dick Tyndall

Thanks Dick,

That's what I thought. I've changed them in the past with no issues what so ever.

But a long range check never hurts.

Latest posts

Back