radio problems with stryker

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keegs01

have recently set up a stryker hydro with a g23pum zenoha. the problem i am having is that i am getting heeps of radio interference. i have barely any range when the motor is running or when its not. the radio is jr xr3, run on a 6 volt 5cell flat pack at 1400 milliamps. a y harness is used to give power directly to the 1/4 size rudder servo. jr suggested that the voltage is to high and the milliamps to low. they recomend i run a 4cell pack at 4.8 volts and 2400 milliamps. is this right? will the servo still get the power needed to turn the boat??? i have had the reciever replaced and everything else tested. its all good aparently. what are your opinions? ever heard of a problem like this?

any help is great. thanx

ryan.

Ryan

Why are you using a Y harness? The servo should plug driect into the reciver. I have 3 JR XR 3s they all work great. Do you have any alum in the radio box like wrapping for the reciver? Sounds like the reciver is not getting the signal for some reason. I have never seen the need for 1/4 scale to turn a boat. My gas boats turn with Hy-tech 654s. What kind of antana system are you using?

Randy

If you are running some kind of off the wall 1/4 scale servo that has to have a Y harness, you should think about replacing it. If it will plug directly into the receiver, you should do it. Are you control rods for the carb touching any metal on their way to the carb horn. I always use 5cell 6V with my big servos. I don't think going to a 4.8 will solve anything, but... you could always try. This will eliminate one source of the problem.

Hammer

Even with resistor plugs our club has found that many newer brands of AM radios have interference problems in gas boats. This has not been a problem with FM or PCM radios. Because I ran an old Futaba radio in a gas boat for years, I suspect that the design of newer, low cost radios is the problem.

Lohring Miller

Going back to my old 1/4 scale car days.. We only ran 27mhz AM or FM radios or PCM. AM or FM 75 mhz radios would not work well at all.

I don't think it is the radio I use that radio on 8 differnt gas boats no problem, it is FM. I think the way it is hooked up is the problem to many connections.

Randy

g'day

Randy: the reason i am running a y harness is to give the 1/4 scale servo the most power i can, the full 6 volts as the reciever aparently restricts the power provided by the battery to protect all wiring. there is no alloy in the box exept for the antena base and the switch, but i cant see how they would really affect it. the hydro needs the 1/4 scale servo as the other high tourqe dont have the guts to move the rudder. if the 1/4 isnt there then it just wont turn. the antena is fairly long, no shorter then any of the other boats i am running, but i am going to lengthen it just to make shure thats not the problem. thanx

Hammerhead: there is no metal to metal touching on the radio system and where ever possible i have tried to eliminate this because i thought this may have been the problem. the carb is connected using a ball link system which is plastic on metal so i think thats all ok. thanx for the suggestions

Sjhauge: the plug is a resistor type and everything electrical has been tested and replaced just to make shure its all working

Does anyone have any suggestions for a diffent brand of pistol grip radio that is along the same lines as the xr3, price wise and layout but also runs in a higher frequency band because im begining to wonder wether or not this is the problem. the current radio runs on 27mhz and i am thinking its getting to much interefrence from other radios and seen as jr dont make the xr3 in 40 mhz anymore i was wondering if anyone had some alternatives that are working for them?? thanx

ryan.

Hey Ryan! I dug up an old thread for ya! The Title is Next generation in Radios. Check it out. There is a lot of good info on new radios.

Hammer

Ryan

Why don't you plug the bat.into the reciver as should be and see if that does not work. I think the power needs to go to reciver frist than servo.

Randy

g'day

the antena is fairly long, no shorter then any of the other boats i am running, but i am going to lengthen it just to make shure thats not the problem. thanx
Ryan,

Has the reciever arial been cut at all? Or are you using a metal whip arial? The length of the arial(and also a metal whip) is critical to the tuning of your reciever.

How much range do you get on the bank with the Tx arial down and the motor not running?

Are you using JR crystals or another brand? Have you tried a different channel?

I use a JR XR3 with a Hitec HS700MG 1/4 scale and a 5 cell 1400mAh Sanyo Nicad pack and no Y harness and it works fine. What about the throttle servo - has it been checked out?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to help.

Tim.

I have had that same problem. It ended up being a broken transmitter antenna down at the base where is attaches, and for some reason I overlooked it several times.

-MikeP

hey everyone,

i think i may have solved the problem, i bought a new flat five cell 6volt 1400mAh battery pack. it works fine for now. i think the problem was in the wireing of the other hump pack, i foung one section of the wires to be a little frayed so i hope this solved it, find out this weekend, thanx everyone.........

ryan. ;D

Latest posts

Back