Radar Gun

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same radar gun as you tim have had it for 8-9 years .im very happy with mine. i id consier the stalker but the battery idea kept me away as i see in better to run from 12 v battery , dont need to go to lenght to replace it. mine cost me new landed to the door $1500.@ 0.75 cents exchange rate.

Yes the top notch guns are pricey ..... and more accurate. Tenths are just as important when testing heat race stuff too and unfortunately that accuracy in tenths costs money. There's a big difference between say 74.1 and 74.9, something a cheaper gun will not show you. There are deals out there on the Stalkers, they do pop up on Ebay and Stalker sells refurbished units from time to time at substantial discounts over the cost of a new one. GPS units are not very accurate for what we do contrary to what people might lead you to believe. Do a little research on the technology and how they actually work for a better understanding of why. Can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say "well my GPS says I'm faster than that" after we've shot their boat with a Stalker. :D
YES Stalker PRO all the way

I have also sent a few to the shop with Accurate Radar Speeds, but stopwatches really help too. I converted one of my Battery Pack Handles to a wired 12volt car battery woeks great and lasts all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
To change the topic a little. How accurate are you guys getting with your stop watches for oval elapsed times? I might spend $1,200 to put a oval infrared timing system on my pond, or $20 for a stop watch....

To change the topic a little. How accurate are you guys getting with your stop watches for oval elapsed times? I might spend $1,200 to put a oval infrared timing system on my pond, or $20 for a stop watch....
woo! 1200 bux, rilly?

for at least 10 years, laptimer's have been built into futaba transmitters (im assuming other radios have similar features)...thats wat i use...stop/start button next to ur thumb..

if im not in the heat, there's a stopwatch in my phone and one in my ipod...lol

i wasnt even aware i saved 1200 bux...thanx for letting me know :)

woo! 1200 bux, rilly?

for at least 10 years, laptimer's have been built into futaba transmitters (im assuming other radios have similar features)...thats wat i use...stop/start button next to ur thumb..

Do you think your reflexes are consistent enough to pick up a prop or pipe length change? I assumed there would be a variance from human error...

woo! 1200 bux, rilly?

Do you think your reflexes are consistent enough to pick up a prop or pipe length change? I assumed there would be a variance from human error...
The stopwatch has always proved more for us than the speed gun specially when race time rolls around... Its not all about how fast you can go yet how fast you can turn a lap.. Unless of course your trying to set a record..An yes there will be a variance but if you are picking the same spot to start and stop you can usually get a good idea of what kind of lap times you are running after about 10 laps...

woo! 1200 bux, rilly?

admittedly...never be as accurate as your infrared timing system...

the transmitter's timer will record laptimes for 99 laps before resetting..so you can average away as much variance as your fuel system will allow

in my case, i'm trying to win heats, not set records...you should get a system that accomplishes ur goal fer sure (i try to be as pragmatic as possible wen playing with toys) :)

having sed that, records are set in our district by stopwatch...sooo...please tell me whether they are legit or not...cuz im just not sure

woo! 1200 bux, rilly?

admittedly...never be as accurate as your infrared timing system...

the transmitter's timer will record laptimes for 99 laps before resetting..so you can average away as much variance as your fuel system will allow

in my case, i'm trying to win heats, not set records...you should get a system that accomplishes ur goal fer sure (i try to be as pragmatic as possible wen playing with toys) :)

having sed that, records are set in our district by stopwatch...sooo...please tell me whether they are legit or not...cuz im just not sure
Haven't bought the system yet, hence the reason for asking. Averaging a bunch of laps should remove most of the human error.

Infrared is definately the way to go for laptimes, although you can get real close with a watch. Radar I think would be the way to go for straightline.

We do a lot of testing with a stopwatch. Mine has a 50 lap memory and when you review times you will see that it's pretty accurate and consistant once the driver gets in the grouve. Once into a driving rythem and you go a little wide you can pretty much tell how many tenths you blew. Also the variance is barely .1. We do a two lap competition in our tunnel series and use 3 watches thowing out high and low. If one guy goofs we take the average of two. More often than not 2 of the 3 watches are within. .05 of each other. Also taking a 2 lap time you cut the level of inacuracy in half. You just need to pay attention, pick a bouy and click when the nose touches it. The radar gun measures one parameter, speed. The watch gives the combination of speed and acceleration and the fastest way around the course. Theres another benefit to a watch. Having someone read out your lap times you figure out what lines in and out of corners are best for your setup. That and some days we time 100-150 laps and thats invaluable practice on the bouys.

Mic

We do a lot of testing with a stopwatch. Mine has a 50 lap memory and when you review times you will see that it's pretty accurate and consistant once the driver gets in the grouve. Once into a driving rythem and you go a little wide you can pretty much tell how many tenths you blew. Also the variance is barely .1. We do a two lap competition in our tunnel series and use 3 watches thowing out high and low. If one guy goofs we take the average of two. More often than not 2 of the 3 watches are within. .05 of each other. Also taking a 2 lap time you cut the level of inacuracy in half. You just need to pay attention, pick a bouy and click when the nose touches it. The radar gun measures one parameter, speed. The watch gives the combination of speed and acceleration and the fastest way around the course. Theres another benefit to a watch. Having someone read out your lap times you figure out what lines in and out of corners are best for your setup. That and some days we time 100-150 laps and thats invaluable practice on the bouys.

Mic
Good info, thanks for sharing.

Back