Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

O FE master Dudes... i have thus questioned for thy. Please haste at sought answer. For hammer must know..

Im quite sure one cannot charge NiCad packs in parelell,, but… can thy discharge like batteries as such?

OK OK :blink: :blink:

Can you hook a set of NiCad packs in parelell and discharge them?

Grimracer :D

Hey Grim,

The only true way to charge/discharge a pack perfectly is to charge/discharge each cell individually.

You can discharge, (or charge for that matter) cells in any configuration you desire.

The catch is to only discharge each cell to a nominal voltage. Some say.9V/cell, others insist it is 1.1V/cell. The story changes weekly. (Very weakly)

If you have a peak detect/low detect type of charger, it will assume the discharge based on the information that you give it.

Having packs in parallel only serves to increase the Ah rating. You will have to set your charger for whatever Ah rating is in the pack you are discharging.

Voltage remains constant.

I would bet you could discharge the packs faster by separating them, than by having then linked together.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Thanks Peter,

Now.. no need to discharge/charge packs perfectly.. not the point.. I have done the battery discharge voltage thing for years and use to match batteries for the locals.. my simple question was..

Can you discharge NiCads in parelell..? I have been down the charge route and this is not a good idea.. trust me.. Been there seen the carnage.

To better elaborate on the question..

I have a friend that has Two (2) 150 mah 5cells NiCad packs and would like to use them to operate the radio system of his boat. His question is, can this be done safely? From my experience charging is not a good idea but discharging (operating) “im just not sure” !

A “Y” harness and you are set right? You can then charge the packs separately but double the capacity when hooked together? Or is this not a good idea?

ROCK ON

Grim :D

Hello Mike,

I have a friend that has Two (2) 150 mah 5cells NiCad packs and would like to use them to operate the radio system of his boat. His question is, can this be done safely?
I follow now, yes you can parallel the cells to get more capacity no problem. Personally though I'd just use a higher capacity rx battery.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back