Q Tunnel for Open Class. Need advice...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
So... I want to build a Q tunnel for open. It will be on a Vision .45 boat. what motor and ESC do I need?? Looking for advice here. I plan to run 5S batteries, and would like to be able to play with a 6S with the same equipment.

What would YOU use?

~ James

Gabe,

I am working on a Q Tunnel as well. I am considering 1500 series motors with a 240 amp controller. I want to experiment between 5s and 6s as well so I am looking at KV ranges that will make the boat competitive with either setup. This is a great idea. Maybe Loeb, Britton, Luszcz, Halbehder, and some of the others will chime in. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabe,

What your asking is what I have been working on. The Vision is a great choice for 6S as it should have the room to fit batteries in the box. 5S are physically smaller and we can barely fit them in a Shaman.

For 5S I would recomend 1400-1700 KV motors. On 6S 1200-1600KV. Leopards about $100 a 4074 or 4082. Larger watts goes faster and eats more power. A swordfish 200a or T-180 Turnigy/hobbywing/seaking is also a great controller in the $100 range. On the big end a Castle 240LV is about $250 and I feel the best 4-6S ESC. A NUE 1515 1500KV at $200 or a 1521 1Y 1577KV at $250. Again the 4082 or 1521 will give you big power but you have to prop way back to make 6 laps. The 1400KV 4074 is much easier on power. I have been working with 5000-5800ma single packs. Any more and I feel the weight will start workin against you. A Gens Ace 5300 6S is about $95 from Hobbypartz and works well.

Props. my 1520 Castle(Nue) 1600 KV will turn a X452 easily but eat the pack in 3 laps. To make 6 Iaps I go down to a M445 cut down. A M447 left me in turn 2, 5 3/4 laps into the heat. This is going to be the challenge high power small props or less KV and watts that last longer. Tortose and the Hare and I don't have the answer on all the combos yet. Going to be a work in progress finding the right setups. It is really hard not to put a 450 on and run mid to high 60's.

Scorpion outrunners at 1250 KV are an option and from what I gather from the west coast guys turn larger props. Not sure what batteries or run times their getting away with. Hyperion has them (rebadged?) aroung $125 and I guess you don't need water cooling on them. I think I will start a thread with links to FE suppliers I have found and maybe others can add their finds.

Mic

I feel the 4082 or 1520 will work fine on 5 s . 6 s gets hard to drive unless you prop down it has lots of torque. Only my 2 cents worth.

D/L

Hey,

Any of you FE Tunnel guys know where I can get a square drive adapter that will fit an 8mm motor shaft for my Q Tunnel I'm building? Yes, I orded a motor with the wrong shaft size.......;(

Thanks.

Hey,

Any of you FE Tunnel guys know where I can get a square drive adapter that will fit an 8mm motor shaft for my Q Tunnel I'm building? Yes, I orded a motor with the wrong shaft size.......;(

Thanks.
Get an 8mm drill bit and make the Hyperformance adapter a little larger.

When I get around to building my new tunnel I am planning to start with a castle 240 and Neu 1521 1y. I already have the motor and esc so its an easy decision. Its just a matter of how well it will work.

Hey,

Thanks.
Get an 8mm drill bit and make the Hyperformance adapter a little larger.
I did that but as Dick warned me, only left 2 or 3 threads for the two set screws. If I can't find something I may end up getting someone to make a couple for me that are just a little larger in diameter to give more threads. The lower adapter has plenty of room.

ARGGHH.... This was much easier for the P limited build. Too many dang options with this Q set-up. I am up to me ears with options for motors... I have a Turnigy 180 ESC on the way, got it for $77 bucks! Somebody tell me a good/cheap (yes, both good and cheap...) motor to use. I dont care about KvRPMWattsAmps stuff... just give me a link! LOL...

Im running a 5S Vision, Q Tunnel, 7.5 lower unit, 180 amp ESC. What friggin motor do I use. I have been immersed in FE for the past 3 hours online.... and I feel dumber than when I started.

The good:

http://www.offshoree...eu-1521&cat=117

Choose the 1577kv version

This will put you at about 29,000 rpm unloaded at 5S. Start off with a m445.

The cheap:

http://www.offshoree...eo-4074&cat=148

Choose the 1800kv version (Don't go 6S with this motor stay at 5S, kv is to high for 6S)

This will put you at about 33,000 rpm unloaded at 5S. Start off with a 42x66

Another cheap:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=leo-4082&cat=148

Choose the 1550kv version

This will put you just under 29,000 rpm unloaded at 5S. Start off with a m445.

The good:

http://www.offshoree...eu-1521&cat=117

Choose the 1577kv version

This will put you at about 29,000 rpm unloaded at 5S. Start off with a m445.

The cheap:

http://www.offshoree...eo-4074&cat=148

Choose the 1800kv version (Don't go 6S with this motor stay at 5S, kv is to high for 6S)

This will put you at about 33,000 rpm unloaded at 5S. Start off with a 42x66

Another cheap:

http://www.offshoree...eo-4082&cat=148

Choose the 1550kv version

This will put you just under 29,000 rpm unloaded at 5S. Start off with a m445.
See Bill, this kind of answer is why I like you. Thanks for narrowing the options for me.

Now I just have to decide if that was Bill giving solid advice, or the TBM-in-you trying to lead me on a goose chase... :D

Well you'll just have to take your best guess!

Actually, If you were to stay at 5S and not try to go 6, #2 would be my weapon of choice. A true 30 grand worth of 42X66 on 5S is a giggle fest.

I plan on setting my Shaman up with this same config in the next few weeks. I got a new P rocket (Lynx/Keda) B)

Personally I think your guys motor selection is a bit small on the power side for a Q tunnel, at least a Leopard 4082

I think a good set up would be a Neu 1527 1.5d on 5s2p would be a rocket.

some info for you guys hopefully it helps motor selection......

Q sport hydro's are using 6s1p-6s2p and 1527 1y 1250kv motors. 450-452 prop.

or you can use the 1527 1.5d on 5s2p--I ran this set up in a Q sport hydro(whiplash 40) with a 457 prop and a Hydra 240LV.

I know battery space is limited in tunnels and may not be able to turn these props but I would use the 1527 size cans for a .45 tunnel.

Personally I think your guys motor selection is a bit small on the power side for a Q tunnel, at least a Leopard 4082

I think a good set up would be a Neu 1527 1.5d on 5s2p would be a rocket.

some info for you guys hopefully it helps motor selection......

Q sport hydro's are using 6s1p-6s2p and 1527 1y 1250kv motors. 450-452 prop.

or you can use the 1527 1.5d on 5s2p--I ran this set up in a Q sport hydro(whiplash 40) with a 457 prop and a Hydra 240LV.

I know battery space is limited in tunnels and may not be able to turn these props but I would use the 1527 size cans for a .45 tunnel.

Guys if you do this I want you in my heats. Starting with a 4082 or better on 6S will go really fast but you will be upside down before you know what happened. These are not expensive motors so starting out with a 4074 to get setup may not be a bad idea. In the case of a Leopard buying back up to a 4082 later is $100. Two cards of blow plugs or a case of fuel cost more than that. I would be very happy with a 1515 1500KV Nue on 5 or 6S. You have more power availiable than you need and smaller will make batteries last. JMO

Mic

Latest posts

Back