PVA as a paint masking solution

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin Rat Sass

In the process of learning to paint with polyester resin I have found that an easy alternative to masking tape(and the problems caused by it, waiting time and adhesive residue) is pva resin mold release solution.its easily sprayable,quick drying(even over tacky resin)and when the area to be painted next is scored with a sharp knife,the area can be unmasked as easily as peeling a severe sunburn.(but painless)Pics to follow

PVA dissolves with water. Some paints may dissolve it too. I would try liquid latex mask. It will not dissolve once it dries,and pulls off nicely.

I'm spraying polyester resin only and the pva is designed to create a barrier when laying up resin in a mold.the acetone used to thin the resin doesnt effect the pve either .its all good. :D

PAINTFLAT.jpg

looks good, but what's the advantage to using it versus "Fine Line"?....FL tape has always been a valuable part of my painting process.

looks good, but what's the advantage to using it versus "Fine Line"?....FL tape has always been a valuable part of my painting process.
92921[/snapback]

FINE LINE? LOL

because I'm self taught/learning as I go I've never seen this product.the narrowest masking tape I've been able to find is 3/8

Last edited by a moderator:
92921[/snapback]

i spray it over tacky polyester paint jobs to aid in curing but it also is a 'quick drying, anti finger print, force feild'

Last edited by a moderator:
Back