Prop shaft washers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Stollfuss

I've got two prop shafts that the nylon washers are chewed up on, can the nylon washer be replaced separately? Or do you just buy a new prop shaft?

Thanks!

Josh-

jstollfu said:
I've got two prop shafts that the nylon washers are chewed up on, can the nylon washer be replaced separately? Or do you just buy a new prop shaft?
Thanks!

Josh-

100446[/snapback]

If your careful you can get the pin that holds the drive dog out of the shaft.

You can use a small punch to tap it out...but I prefer a small press for rebuilding prop shafts.

And put the washer on and press the pin back in and away you go.

Good luck.

It looks like there are two set screws that hold the drive dog on? Does anyone know if you can get replacement washers? Or something else that works equally as well or better? Thats really what I'm looking for.

Thanks! Josh-

jstollfu said:
It looks like there are two set screws that hold the drive dog on? Does anyone know if you can get replacement washers? Or something else that works equally as well or better? Thats really what I'm looking for.
Thanks!  Josh-

100451[/snapback]

The thrust washer you are talking about is made of teflon not nylon.

DO NOT USE NYLON FOR THE THRUST WASHER!!!!!

It will wad up in a ball up on the shaft.Also do not use a hardened steel thrust washer.It will saw the shaft right in half and there goes your prop.

Brass works pretty well for that thrust washer.

I just buy teflon rod and make them in the lathe.

call randy at k&b on your next order he can get you a few of them.on my last order i talked to him told him what i needed and he sent me three extra at no charge that's better than buying a new prop shaft at $18.95 at least i think so.

allen

isn't it a sign that your shaft is at the end of it's life when the washer is eaten? And that your new washer will be eaten up allso in a very short period? :huh:

duc said:
isn't it a sign that your shaft is at the end of it's life when the washer is eaten? And that your new washer will be eaten up allso in a very short period? :huh:
100524[/snapback]

Can the bushings be replaced, along with the thrust washer? Seems like a good idea, since the drive dog has to be removed any ways. Thanks for any info. Richard D.

Richard Dahlheimer said:
duc said:
100524[/snapback]

Can the bushings be replaced, along with the thrust washer? Seems like a good idea, since the drive dog has to be removed any ways. Thanks for any info. Richard D.

100531[/snapback]

Yes the bushings can be replaced ,also they don't have to be replaced with the original split lead teflons.You can use Garlocks or bronze bushings or ??????

Experiment a bit,you will be surprized what you will find.

How do you get the drive dog back on? Its seems that if it is cocked to one side or the other it will efffect the over all balance.

Back