PROP SHAFT RECOMMENDATION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolschool

guys, am after some advice on what prop shaft to use for a CMB 45 Ernie Lafleur outboard conversion . Problem is that I have started developing some real horsepower, but have started to destroy prop shafts. I have used both the Hyperperformance shafts and the "brian something" shafts sorry the name escapes me at the moment. Problem is that the teflon washer lasts about 2 seconds and that the shaft also wears real quick. Am I doing something wrong here. Was fine until I changed the pipe and the whole thing really came to life, but no use going fast if the prop shafts are going to let me down

Thanks in advance

Gino

HELLO, YOU COULD USE A LAWLESS LOWER UNIT OR JUST ASK ERNIE WHAT HE USES

GOOD LUCK

NORM J

HELLO, YOU COULD USE A LAWLESS LOWER UNIT OR JUST ASK ERNIE WHAT HE USES

GOOD LUCK

NORM J
The lawless uses the same shafts he is having problems with. Brian Nelsen hasn't made any parts for quite some time. The hyperformance is probably the best one available.

Gino, do you use an oiler with that one? I wonder if the bushing is starved of lube?

Also, Did you check the balance of the prop?

That boat sure was impressive yesterday. What a difference a pipe makes!

P.S I bet you were thinking I'd mention "Canyonero" before now! hahahaha

I use the one from Brain N they last me about 2 seasons of racing. I also run a cmb 45rs conversion and it rips. I lube it for every run and no problems.

Richie R

I would also recommend the ones from Nelsen. I bought all of the stock that Brian had when I had the business (several hundred of each size), but sold them all to John Otto at the worlds this year. Give John Otto a call at Technology hobbies in Florida, and he can hook you up. They shouldnt eat up the washers, if they do, you have to much pressure on the prop shaft. Maybe consider cutting a small amount off the tip of the flex shaft if it is putting pressure on the prop shaft. Definitely run an oiler.

Hope you get it figured out!

~James

james, not doubting, just trying to learn/understand. if the washer is between the drive dog & the prop shaft housing, how can too long a flex put pressure on it? wouldn't that keep pressure off the washer, by pushing the shaft & drive dog back - away from the washer?? or am i missing something..........but, i do agree with james, the brian blazer prop shafts are very good, & run an oiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
wondering if possibly you are tightening the prop nut so much it bends the shear pin,,letting the drive dog mush into the teflon spacer,,and resulting in friction..

been there done that......the shear pins are weak for a reason...use a nyloc nut and just tighten till its snug against the drive dog...any more and your askin to bend that pin....

my 2 pennies....

hmmmmm oiler,,, think i know where to get those.....lol...lol...

alden

No idea Robin. I think it was too early.... you are right. I was thinking if the prop shaft was in a bind because the flex is too long, it would eat up the prop shaft, but it shouldnt eat the washer.

:)

~James

Latest posts

Back