• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Prop cutting jig

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Jr.

I figure this can fit into the prop section too.......

Bet you have never seen anything like this before......

If you have ever wondered how some of the best prop guys get such perfect rake cuts and notches on their props, well here ya go.

I designed and built this prop Jig back in 2005 on my spare time. I cut hundreds of propellers for some of the biggest name racers at the time.

It is in my opinion a must have if you like doing your own propeller customizing. So for those who dont know, you lock this jig into your vice of your milling machine. You can adjust the angle of the propellor both in rake, and trailing edge cut angle. Put a radius end mill in for a radius rake cut or a notch to take lift out of the prop. The entire arm can swivel as well as the circular prop mount. This is the third jig I built. The first two didnt work exactly how I wanted so I designed this one with the best of features I believe. So with that being said, can you tell how crazy I was about RC boating back in the early 00's? lol. This is one of a kind, cant buy it ANYWHERE but here and now. Im giving it away for $400 or best offer. Please, if anyone wants to make a wise crack about the price, please head to a CNC machine shop and ask how much to duplicate before posting. Those who have seen this with their own eyes can appreciate the time and skill involved to build.

With that being said, enjoy.....

Larry Gempp Jr.

20121028_200838_resized.jpg20121028_200443_resized.jpg20121028_200545_resized.jpg20121028_200557_resized.jpg20121028_200606_resized.jpg20121028_200641_resized.jpg20121028_200937_resized.jpg

i can vouch for larry it is a very nice pc.. seen it 1st hand.. and like he said 400 bucks.. aint much for something like this

chris

Thank you Chris I appreciate it. Hope all is well my friend. I heard through the grape vines that your half the man you use to be. Literally! Lol. All the best to you and your family.

Jr.

Excuse me, I have a CNC in my garage and for $400.00, I'll make 4 of them. What you have is good, but I can see lots of ways to improve on it.

no offense steve but you don't need to come off the way you are.

and since you have a cnc in your garage.. go for it.. let use know when you get them done and how much

1. Everything in life can be improved upon nothing is perfect. This jig does exactly what I built it for and it does the job well.

2. How much did that CNC machine cost in your garage?

So since you're such a machinist and experts on costs of runtime let's break this down.... Let's say you're really good you got 2 hours on SolidWorks designing the 3 pieces. Convert everything to master cam or whatever system you use set the types of tooling up and paths. Now you set up the to tooling for the Machine for each piece. Machine each piece individually. Read mount each piece individually, drill and tap holes. Hmmmm.....lets see....half hour to setup for each piece, so 1.5 hours of setting jig for each piece to tram in. Actual cutting time 2 hours between all three. This all asuming there are no mistakes and u dont break an end mill. If you dont own a machine its $100/hr run time...now I just over simplified the whole thing....so if u got 7-10 hours if ur really good in the whole thing - expenses for materials and run time....hmmmm..lets see...........

So, with that being said how much is your time worth? Apparently you're worth about 5-6 dollars an hour at best.....for your $100 jig... is that all you're worth?

What's funny is Chris Wood's father is a machinist. go figure that he would know what it takes the amount of time and money to do something like this.

Thanks for your input Steve have fun in your garage....

I knew this would happen..... figures.....

and since you have a cnc in your garage.. go for it.. let use know when you get them done and how much
I didn't mean to sound like I was coming off stong or offend anyone. I just think $400.00 is way high for what he's selling. I have several projects working for gas boats right now, but if anyone is interested, I'll work some in.

I didn't mean to sound like I was coming off stong or offend anyone. I just think $400.00 is way high for what he's selling. I have several projects working for gas boats right now, but if anyone is interested, I'll work some in.
out of respect for Larry if you want to make them start a thread to promote them.

I would be more than interested in one for $100.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Speed Jr.,

I'm not doing machining in my garage to make a living. I'm 68 years old and semi retired. I owned a real CNC machine shop until January 2008 when a major health issue forced the sale and closure of my business.

I do CNC machining now for something to do. I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 in my garage, and I program it with GibbsCam. If I can make a couple of hundred dollars a week on it, good for me. If not, tuff sheets. I bought the machine in July 2011 for less than $15,000.00 brand new.

MasterCam??? YUK!!!

Your basic design on your prop jig is really good, but I do see a couple of small changes that could be made to make it even better. I'll make a few, and if you'll PM your address to me, I'll send you one when I'm finished. If you have no further use for it, give it to whom ever you choose.

Funny thing is I am a retired gunsmith, people always brought in guns that somebody paid big money for but wanted 16/18 machine operations ,heattreating,polishing nitro bluing and all for less than the raw metal cost me . Laughing all the way The benefit of CNC machining is cost of [poduction goes down with quantity increase now the question comes if somebody produces them what can he price to make profit?

As I said above, I don't do this to make a lot of money. I do it for something to do, but if I can make a little money along the way, that's a bonus. Then maybe I can take my wife to lunch.

Latest posts

Back