Prolonged Motor Storage

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

I've become much less active in boating over the last few years and would like to know the best method for storing motors that are not being used on a regular basis. Thanks, Glenn

I just make sure all water is out,.. totally pickled in oil,.. imagine tranny fluid, oil,.. something like that would all work about as well

I know of some guys that liberally oil them and then vacuum seal them up. They stay oiled and no air gets in. A food storage sealer works very well for a long time.

I would start it up and run till warm with straight Alky fuel with 20% oil (this flushes out any residual nitro/nitric acid). And then flush heavily with CorrosionX, wrap with a lint free shop rag, and place in a ziploc storage bag, store in a temperature controlled environment. Be sure to flush the head cap with corrosion X as well to get the water out of there, too. Should keep for years.

I use castor oil in my fuel and I learned the hard way that if I did not flush out the castor, it would gum up. Usually the wrist pin and rod would seize up. If you have a 1 piece case, it could be difficult to remove the parts for cleaning. I use WD-40 to flush out the engine thoroughly before long term storage. I have tried all the oil mentioned in the above posts. All work well.

One thing that I would stay away from for long term storage is the Mystery oil. It will turn to syrup and then gum after a long time. Hard to beat CorrosionX for water displacement and long term protection. As mentioned, seal engine in a zip lock bag.

I always cleaned my nitro motors with coleman camp fuel. Then oiled them down heavily with Corrosion-X. If you are going to store them away for long periods, I always oiled them up extra heavily and stuck them in a food saver bag and vacuum sealed them up....

Every year at season's end I clean out all the remaining fuel residue with WD-40, submerge in a bath of ATF, rotate piston to BDC, wrap with paper towel and place in plastic zip bag. Store in a dry place. Some of my engines sit for years and using this procedure I have had no issues with gumming or rust.

Back