Polyurethane Wood Sealer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Cruz

Can I use a Polyurethane clear spray to seal the bottom of a bare wood hull? The other thing I have is 12 minute epoxy, and I don't think I should use that. See the picture below. I'm wondering if it will be protective enough and whether or not the nitro might damage the PU coating.

If it's good I might use it to clear boat the top paint too.

epoxy_paint_sealer.jpg

Nitro stuffs up Polyurethane. Don't use it. 12 minute epoxy isn't much help either. get yourself some west systems epoxy or MAS epoxy and do it with that.

Nitro stuffs up Polyurethane. Don't use it. 12 minute epoxy isn't much help either. get yourself some west systems epoxy or MAS epoxy and do it with that.
I use Minwax sand and sealer then light coat of primer then Paint.

Walt Barney

@Bob G - Point taken... No PU then.

@Walt - Since I'm greatly considering painting the wood hull of my VS1, I might go your route then instead of simply sealing. Plus, I'm petty sure that if I decide to paint, I'm going to find an array of pinholes after priming. I should get some glazing putty for that.

@Bob G - Point taken... No PU then.

@Walt - Since I'm greatly considering painting the wood hull of my VS1, I might go your route then instead of simply sealing. Plus, I'm petty sure that if I decide to paint, I'm going to find an array of pinholes after priming. I should get some glazing putty for that.
I usually do two coats with a brush and the pin holes are filled with no problem just remember to sand with fine sand paper, I use dry 220 or 280 if I can find it

Walt Barney

Ok cool thanks. You said paint, but then what do you use for clearcoat? I have to stick with spray cans because I have no easy access to a proper spray gun at the moment.

I did a boat once with the minwax. It was a saw boat I intended to use only 1 day so I figured what the heck..... its kinda weird the way it works. Nitro fuel does not effect it. But.... its kinda like over time it will soak through it. If you have a boat you know you will only be using a few times then it will work. Maybe even just 1 season. But it won't be pretty. Wish it did work better as it sure would be easy.... its soo close to working. Maybe a different brand would.

Last edited:
Years ago I sealed a boat with minwax,I used the spray.I must have used 10 coats sanding between coats. Then painted with K/B SuperPoxy . I ran the boat a couple times then sold it to Ray Bowden. Long story 15 years later it looked like it did when I sold it. So it can work. Id opt for klass kote clear and seal it by brush....

I built a 12 JAE with 15 min epoxy and sealed with minwax. After a season, I peeled apart by hand the joints made with 15 min epoxy. The min wax is fine if you paint, but it noticeably yellowed where I left wood finish. I built my JAE21 with MAS 2 part and after a season it looks great. If you are building a rigger you could probably join and seal with the MAS and its easy to mix 2:1

Years ago I sealed a boat with minwax,I used the spray.I must have used 10 coats sanding between coats. Then painted with K/B SuperPoxy . I ran the boat a couple times then sold it to Ray Bowden. Long story 15 years later it looked like it did when I sold it. So it can work. Id opt for klass kote clear and seal it by brush....
Use Klass Coat and use a very fine brush, just flow it on and do not over brush it,or you can go to a NAPA store and get a small spray prpoane powered sprayer with refills for about $10.00

Walt Barney

Back