Please Don't forget the Flotation!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PakMan

Roger,

I'm glad to see that Scott was able to find the "Pink-Lady". Guys, even Roger, "The Father of RCU (in Seattle) since the 70's did not have enough (or any??) flotation in his boat. Please, Please don't forget the pool noodles, or the ping-pong balls, or the whatever to make the boats float. It makes everyone sick to see a boat get lost because of lack-of-flotation.

I hope others can learn from your near-loss. You were very, very lucky Scott went to bat for you. He won't do it again in those waters.... I suspect it was actually very risky for him.

Heroic effort Scott! Great Job!!!

DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I'am sure Roger feels bad ..we all have made mistakes most of us just don't let anyone else know about it.......Glad he was able to find it.. bet that water was freakin cold

Edited this post :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the post wasn't to make Roger fell bad but more to remind everyone we all need to remember our Flotation cause even " The Roger " can forget or not have enough.

Glad he got it back.

Tom.

no no i aggree sorry it came off that way,,not intended too... i know he feels bad and a lesson well learned by all... Even the CZAR makes mistakes :lol:

no no i aggree sorry it came off that way,,not intended too... i know he feels bad and a lesson well learned by all... Even the CZAR makes mistakes :lol:

Mike,

I don't know you, but I feel like I know you. I have known Roger since the mid 1970's when I was just 8-9 Years old, and was even at the "Pond" when his son David was born :huh: . The message I was trying to get accross was that even the best of us sometimes forget.... but we should not expect people to do what Scott has done here to rescue your sunken boat. It can be a "Very" risky situation to go down in even "shallow" water to look for and hopefuly retreive a sunken boat. It just makes sense to keep them from sinking in the first place...

No offense intended, quite the contrary, I meant to use Roger's stature help magnify the importance of flotation. If even the CZAR, then even us mortals must be at risk! I think you knew my intent, and I know Roger did. It was not meant in any way to "reprimand" Roger.

See you this fall at the NW Champs... bring as many as you can!

Sincerely,

David Jensen

R/C Unlimiteds

P.S. - I had one of my first boats sink due to lack of flotation in the early 80's.... luckily it was at the "Brown-Bowl" and it was shallow enough that we were able to do a sweep and find it.... but I still remember it!!!

Actually, the reason Scott doesn't want to dive at that pond again is because the pond is adjacent to the Granger sewage treatment plant and we weren't so certain that the water was in that great of condition. It's rather brackish.

For the record though, Roger made an offer of $3.00 to anyone that would consider diving for the boat. Scott wouldn't do it for a nickel less than $5.00. I think the dive gear rented for about a $1.00 so he wanted at least a $4.00 profit. Well, Roger hesitantly agreed to pay this outrages ransom. I really think Scott could have gotten $6.00 but he didn't want to take advantage.

For those that don't know, Roger's Hawaii Kai was built after his wife passed away. Mini Czar, Dave, raced it in her memory. It was the boat she had raced in the club's earlier years. It has special meaning and it was great to have it retrieved even at the exhorbitant cost of $5.00.

If i remember correctly... i saw on the Don Mock Hydro construction set he had an interview with the Czar and he had said that there was no floatation in that boat. He had made both sponsons and in the nose water tight compartments... I just watched it. must have sprung a major leak somewhere! Glad to hear Roger is out again!

To set the record straight. I took the kai out of mothballs a couple of weeks before the race. After my son David retired it a couple of seasons ago he pulled everything out of the hull. It is an MTO glass hull. So it is open on the inside. I put all of the hardware back but never thought to put the flotation back. I just assumed it was still in there. When it flipped it went down in a nano-second. I called David ,who happened to be in Hawaii sitting on the beach sucking down a Mai-Tai, he reminded me that he had taken out the flotation along with the rest of the hardware. So as Paul Harvey says " Now you know "The rest of the story".

Signed- A senile old man.

" I put all of the hardware back but never thought to put the flotation back."

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!

Glad you got it back Roger, I bet you'l check for foatation every time now--- I do.

Tom.

Latest posts

Back