Picco Engine ID HELP!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heywhire

I would like to start off by saying I do not have a keen eye or knowledge of marine engines.

Sooo,

I purchased this engine off ebay and it was supposed to be a Picco 90 ready to go, well it was not. I previously posted about tearing this down and cleaning it but when I ordered bearings from Boca Bearings, I ordered for a Picco Marine 90 Late Model but come to find out the bearings were way too big. I got my digital calipers out and measured the ID and OD of the bearings and they are a perfect match for the Picco 80 Marine. So here are my questions

1) Is this a Picco 90 or 80?

2) It did not have any shims, should it?

3) I got the piston and sleeve out and noticed there was a tiny nick on the bottom of the sleeve. Can I grind and polish this out? It does not groove the piston when inserting it.

4) Below picture shows the piston at the furthest it will go to the top of the sleeve. Should the piston top go to the top of the sleeve with ease?

5) Where to get parts?

6) I have posted a pick of some automotive seal material that is 1/32 thick, is this too thick for me to make new seals?

7) How do you get the bearings out?

Thanks for looking.

1- ?

2-Measure head clearance. should have at least a brass head shim.

3- yes

4- looks good,no

6-depends on crank pin to rotor disk thrust clearance.

7- heat the bearing housing in a oven at 350f for 15min, bearings will fall out with tapping. reinstall.. freeze bearings and at same time heat housing agian ,bearings should fall in. Takes practice to do right. (do not use a torch only oven.

I would like to start off by saying I do not have a keen eye or knowledge of marine engines.

Sooo,

I purchased this engine off ebay and it was supposed to be a Picco 90 ready to go, well it was not. I previously posted about tearing this down and cleaning it but when I ordered bearings from Boca Bearings, I ordered for a Picco Marine 90 Late Model but come to find out the bearings were way too big. I got my digital calipers out and measured the ID and OD of the bearings and they are a perfect match for the Picco 80 Marine. So here are my questions

3) I got the piston and sleeve out and noticed there was a tiny nick on the bottom of the sleeve. Can I grind and polish this out? It does not groove the piston when inserting it.

4) Below picture shows the piston at the furthest it will go to the top of the sleeve. Should the piston top go to the top of the sleeve with ease?

5) Where to get parts?

6) I have posted a pick of some automotive seal material that is 1/32 thick, is this too thick for me to make new seals?

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
first off i hope you didnt jam that piston in the sleeve to take that picture.. so,, just so you know these and a majority of nitro engines run a taper in the sleeve,, this makes the seal between the piston and sleeve...if you jammed the piston up in there its bound to cause fit issues...

if you tell me the bearing inner and outer's,, ill look as i have 2 brand new kits for picco's.. thats if you need them..

the oven trick will work as long as the bearing isnt baked in there with old castor and rust... some are stubborn and need help coming out,,, recently i had to spin up a chunk of aluminum to press fit in the rear bearing inner... obviously you will need a lathe for this,,, then heated the case,,, that gave me somthin to pull on the bearing...its not all that un-common to have a sticky bearing,,,specially when the inners of the engine look just like what you took apart... the rusty rag tells all....

alden

oh ya,,, and that gasket material is way to thick,,, beleive it or not,,, you can make gasket material out of a 1 dollar bill,, or a brown paper bag... the dollar bill holds up well,,, but the point still stands that you need to make sure your rotor clearance is correct...

alden

first off i hope you didnt jam that piston in the sleeve to take that picture.. so,, just so you know these and a majority of nitro engines run a taper in the sleeve,, this makes the seal between the piston and sleeve...if you jammed the piston up in there its bound to cause fit issues...

if you tell me the bearing inner and outer's,, ill look as i have 2 brand new kits for picco's.. thats if you need them..

the oven trick will work as long as the bearing isnt baked in there with old castor and rust... some are stubborn and need help coming out,,, recently i had to spin up a chunk of aluminum to press fit in the rear bearing inner... obviously you will need a lathe for this,,, then heated the case,,, that gave me somthin to pull on the bearing...its not all that un-common to have a sticky bearing,,,specially when the inners of the engine look just like what you took apart... the rusty rag tells all....

alden
Alden,

No, I did not jam the piston into the sleeve, I believe if something does not fit or look right, ask. I did get replacement bearings from boca bearings, they did not have any problem swapping them out, thanks for the offer. I will try the oven trick tonight and see if that works, if not what else can I do?, soak them? I do not have a lathe or anything to make a tool to remove them.

Thanks for the replies.

Sooo,

5) Where to get parts?

Thanks for looking.

They made 2 .90 size engines, 1 had smaller bearings, ( hydro .90 engine) and used the same size bearings as the .80 engine,

With the engine assembled and piston at top dead center, remove the head and measure the piston depth and then measure the depth of the button, the diiference should be at least .10 thosands of an inch clearence.

leave the nick alone.

No, it should get tighter as it gets closer to top dead center.

If U post on here what U need some have parts laying around, I have a few depending on what U need, these engine and parts have have not been available for many years.

Wrong material, after doing number 2, U should know what thickness U need if any, let me know what thickness pretty sure I have one that will fit this engine.

If U have never done this before or saw it done in person, if done wrong it"s possible to harm or ruin the engine, if U send it to me I will check and or remove the bearings and check the head clearance and fit it with a head shim if it needs it, will only charge U for shipping back to U, about 5 to 6 dollars here in the lower 48 states.

Hope this helps

dick

o.k cool,,, just wanted to make sure u didnt jam the piston up in there...by the way,,,welcome to the board... thats good that you got the right bearings..

not that it matters,,, but i actually think there are 3 different picco .90's??? i remember having to buy 3 different bearing kits when i did my old .90...

the info above is great for you,,, if you have a dial caliper you can do this perdy easily..

alden

Dick That is a Stand up guy offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also like to make the same offer. I have built and modified many engines 21 and 45' for myself.

I just don't have any parts for 80-90 piccos.

Here is the problem like you said, If you haven't seen somebody rebuild a engine it can be intimidating, Rebuilding a engine with good parts is not that hard with the knowlege and tools. I learned from these books.

RADIO CONTROL POWER BOAT RACING BOOK BY JOHN FINCH

BASICS OF RADIO CONTROL POWER BOAT MODELING BY DAVID THOMAS.

ADVANCED R/C BOAT MODELING BY JOHN FINCH

MODEL MARINE ENGINES BY ALAN HOBBS.

Read these books and it will give you the confidence to rebuild your engines.

Tim

Sooo,

5) Where to get parts?

Thanks for looking.

They made 2 .90 size engines, 1 had smaller bearings, ( hydro .90 engine) and used the same size bearings as the .80 engine,

With the engine assembled and piston at top dead center, remove the head and measure the piston depth and then measure the depth of the button, the diiference should be at least .10 thosands of an inch clearence.

leave the nick alone.

No, it should get tighter as it gets closer to top dead center.

If U post on here what U need some have parts laying around, I have a few depending on what U need, these engine and parts have have not been available for many years.

Wrong material, after doing number 2, U should know what thickness U need if any, let me know what thickness pretty sure I have one that will fit this engine.

If U have never done this before or saw it done in person, if done wrong it"s possible to harm or ruin the engine, if U send it to me I will check and or remove the bearings and check the head clearance and fit it with a head shim if it needs it, will only charge U for shipping back to U, about 5 to 6 dollars here in the lower 48 states.

Hope this helps

dick

Have had the privilege of talking with Dick Jones at the races here in FL. He has helped me allot being new to the hobby. Take him up on his offer you will have one nice engine when he is done.

Dick you are the man!

You are a testament to what this hobby is all about. Having fun and helping one another out. ;)

David

Have had the privilege of talking with Dick Jones at the races here in FL. He has helped me allot being new to the hobby. Take him up on his offer you will have one nice engine when he is done.

Dick you are the man!

You are a testament to what this hobby is all about. Having fun and helping one another out. ;)

David
David,

You are 110% correct. I love this hobby.

Dick,

I PM'ed you.

Picco 80 or 65. Certainly not a 90. The hydro and big block 90's cannot possibly be confused with the 80.

It actually looks like a Picco .45 to me. That must be an early version. Later P-45 has fins added to the exhaust stack. If I remembered right, the head button sits on top of the sleeve. Later versions had the combustion chamber inside the sleeve.

It actually looks like a Picco .45 to me. That must be an early version. Later P-45 has fins added to the exhaust stack. If I remembered right, the head button sits on top of the sleeve. Later versions had the combustion chamber inside the sleeve.

i tend to agree with you it looks to be a series engine that was made in the early 80's .an indication of bore size would help too would possibly be a 40 looking close at it.

definatley not a 90 .

there wold'nt be any parts left on the arc to resurect it to any degree as the piston liners from the p series late 80's until to the exr's are toatly diffrent in fit up for the liners but the rest of it will match up.

hope that helps you with knowledge about your engine.

wayne ;)

If it is a .45, the piston dia is around 21mm or a little under 7/8 of a inch.

Tim

i tend to agree with you it looks to be a series engine that was made in the early 80's .an indication of bore size would help too would possibly be a 40 looking close at it.

definatley not a 90 .

there wold'nt be any parts left on the arc to resurect it to any degree as the piston liners from the p series late 80's until to the exr's are toatly diffrent in fit up for the liners but the rest of it will match up.

hope that helps you with knowledge about your engine.

wayne ;)

Latest posts

Back