P-Spec Kep's T2 build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Wills

Decided that I would post this here. Here are some pics of the tub that I finished on Sunday. I'll start the sponson build tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Sean

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

You do good work Sean. Looking forward to seeing it run in D12 in 2014!! Keep us updated on the build.

Sponsons going together. I decided to use end grain balsa for the sponson cores which were sealed really well with epoxy before sheeting.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the sponsons aftewr being cut out and sides sheeted. Just need to verify that my surfaces are true and then I' ll do the final sheeting and true them up again if needed. Will be using 1/2"aluminum for the sponson tubes and 3/8 carbonfiber tubes forthe booms.

Sean

photo.JPG

Sean hello my name is Jerry and I am interested in building a T2 are you having the parts cut or are you cutting them. I am not concerned with the tub but cutting and shaping of the sponsons is where I am not sure. I read you used end grain balsa instead of the Divencell. I am sure it is cheaper and easier to get as well. If you are having the parts cut can I purchase them thru you? Would really like to build on of these in FE like you. Let me know Jerry

HI Jerry. I had the parts laser cut for me. I originally was going to build it and run it with a nitro motor but decided to go electric to try it out. The sponsons are the hardest part of the build. But if I can do it then you should be able to. There not perfect but the running surfaces are true which is the important part. Im not exactly a talented builder. I did use balsa for the sponson cores because I couldnt find a reliable source for the Divynicell. Just make sure to seal them up with epoxy. I can have the kit cut for you and we can work out the shipping and payment. One thing that I need to change from the original plans is to make the tub taller for electric use. About a 1/2" to 9/16" taller would be perfect. I can make the changes to the drawing in order to make it electric friendly. If you want to go with it let me know. The cost will be exactly what the kit cutter charges and the USPS charges for shipping.

Sean

Sean I am in this will be a great project. Keep me posted and let me know what the cost will be. Let me know if you need up front money. PM me your address.

Jerry you have a message. After a long 10 days waiting on epoxy and building material my order finally came. With the wrong size boom tubes:(. Reordered the correct size. And the waiting continues...

Now I have the right size tubes but waiting on plywood for the top and bottom of the tub. I redrew it in CAD and made some changes to the tub which will make it easier to fit FE equipment. With the "as drawn" design the tub is a little low for fe use but it would work. Just have to use an S shape to the drive shaft tube.The new tub shape will make it a lot easier to fit everything in and use a straighter drive shaft setup. Gonna have these parts laser cut for me and I'll use the new style tub to finish the build. Still have to make the turn fin mount and turn fin so I'll start on that this week.

Thats correct. It is 8020. Mcmaster Carr carries it. Do a search on there web site under scaffolding or aluminum rails and you should find it and all the fittings and T nuts. We use it at work for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the parts that I needed are slowly starting to trickle in. I cut the sponson and tub tubes to length and put them in the hull. I placed the boat on an cast iron set up table at work thats been machined level and flat to see how level the sponsons were. I must have been really lucky when I drilled and cut the sponsons and the tub because everything lined up perfectly! The sponson ride surfaces were true to the table and the rear ski was only off by .008". I'm not even going to bother to try and true that up. No shimming of the boom tubes or sponson tubes needed which makes me really happy. So the next step for the build is to make sure that the sponsons are trully parallel with each other and the tub and drill, pin and glue everything in place. Once I get that done I'll finish sanding and coat with epoxy and begin fitting the hardware. Heres some pics.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1 (1).JPG

Back