Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amv3704

I'm new to RC boating, I have a few questions, I'm building a tunnel hull boat right now... I notice no one talks about the O.S. outboard... Is the K&B outboard better.. Trying to get the facts on which one to buy.. I run a O.S. cvr.12 on my rc10gt, and I've had good luck with it.. Would I be wasting my time on the O.S. outboard?? I do like speed, so i'd want the better performer of the 2..

Mike

I think No,,you wouldn't be wasting your time on an OS OB. I personaly Don't run

one but I own one. Theres a few guys in NAMBA 8 that are running them,,but them

few seem to be takin' all the trophys home. (or maybe most of the trophys)

Mark Anderson and Greg Roth,,others I'm sure :)

First off...Welcome aboard!

Now for your question. Here's my take on it...for years and years K&B was the most popular engine for the outboard market. Parts were plentiful and cheap by comparison.

Thunder Tiger, OS and a couple lesser known companies tried to get a piece of the action, but K&B pretty much had the market cornered considering the number of engines already in service.

But times change. Several years ago K&B sold out to MECOA. The production lines were moved and subsequently had to be retooled (according to MECOA). Engines and parts were backordered, and modelers were given empty promises as to dates of availability. This began to leave a bad taste in the mouths of outboarders, and they started looking toward other power supplies. The use of OS and TT were on the rise, along with the use of exotic powerheads like Rossi mounted on Lawless lowers or modded K&B hardware.

Now MECOA is producing some of the outboards again, but it's almost too little, too late.

Does that answer your question? No, not really. :blink:

It boils down to personal preference. Run what works for you. I like K&Bs in my boats for the power and OS in my planes for reliability. (I'm also cheap! :D )

As a side note...Mr Jim Irwin is in the process of producing a new line of outboards that, if all goes as planned, will rival the power of the high $$ engines at a much more reasonable price. Be watching for it!

Yes I have been very happy with my OS. I run mine as a mod motor with a Irwin quiet pipe and Mark runs his in stock class. I think there carb is one of the best around very tuneable. I understand there a little hard to get right now (back orderd) and you will pay more than a K&B. But mine has run well for 3yrs I have no complaints. Greg Roth :)

GRoth265 said:
Yes I have been very happy with my OS. I run mine as a mod motor with a Irwin quiet pipe and Mark runs his in stock class. I think there carb is one of the best around very tuneable. I understand there a little hard to get right now (back orderd) and you will pay more than a K&B. But mine has run well for 3yrs I have no complaints. Greg Roth :)
84725[/snapback]

I was just wondering GRoth if you are running the "XM" or the new Model :huh:

Thanx for the info... I was reading about the Irwin engines.. They sound pretty impressive... By the time i'm done building my tunnel, they might be ready to sell them... I'm building a dunlap 27" boat... Thanx again.. This is a great forum site.. :D

Jerry Wyss said:
GRoth265 said:
84725[/snapback]

I was just wondering GRoth if you are running the "XM" or the new Model :huh:

84731[/snapback]

Is there a lter model OS motor than the XM?

I'm running the XM.I changed the exhaust timing to 187 and tapered the intake ports otherwise its stock. I found that I need to run it high and let it wind. The new Macs seem like there better, But to be honest I haven't gone six hard laps with one yet except Snake Mooring at the end of last year and he beat me by about 1/4 lap. The Macs are noisy and the guys are going to have to put mufflers on them this year we will see if this hurts performance at all. :) Greg

I haven't touched my SS for three years and It's still huntin. Tree years ago it took 5th at the nats in stock/sport 21 tunnel and this year it took 4th missed 3rd by 25 points I'm sure it could have done alot better with a better driver behind it . It does pretty good at all the local races to. So for a good stock boat for me it's villian & K&B SS :D :D :D

Back