OS 21 OB Mod

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billr

Has anyone played with the Exhaust timing on the OS 21 OB.. I think it is the XM model. I adjusted mine without to much regard for screwing up. Well.....I will not run so well now. Has anyone taken off some metal? if so... how much...and did it help. How about other mods besides the shim and head clearance?

Thanks

Bill Richardson

Billy,

I've run a tune pipe on my OS and that helps, but your probably doing that also. I haven't played with the sleeve timing.

Anyone down your way have a degree wheel so you can find out how high you lifted the timing?

Jerry D.

Well lets say this... I have never seen that type of smoke come out of any engine!!!! It was to much. Time for a new Piston and sleeve. I have that Engine analysis prog, but have not mapped the engine out. I run this engine in the stock class. One of the guys here turbo'd the crank. I am not sure if it works, but he hauls some major A$!.

Billy R.

I made a modification to the carb and picked up some speed in the corners. opened up the velocity stack a bit, made it into more of a taper. tried some grinding on the intake side of the sleeve, similar to what Andy Brown does to the mac 21's. hard to tell how much it helped but sure does use more fuel now!

~James

When you say grinding on the intake side of the piston, are you talking about grinding the lower portion where the sleeve hangs down in the crankcase? I have heard of this this, and have also heard that this helps with mid range power. Could you send me an email telling me how you ground on the carb.

Thanks

Billy R.

[email protected]

Hey Billy,  

Im running a .001 headshim, irwins tuned pipe(collared down at the end with tubing for keeping in the heat), closed off cooling exit on the head and drilled a hole about 1/3 the sized of the original exit, lightened flywheel. I used a reamer that i had in my tool box(just happened to be the perfect size) to make the mod to the carb. Took all the guts out of it and started turning it untill the velocity stack was paper thin on the outer edge and a perfect taper all the way to where the barrel opens up. the final diameter where the barrrel meets the casing did not change only the way the air flows into the carb. Yes the mod to the sleeve is where it hangs down in the crankcase, under the actual inlet if you will. I ground a "channel" down in the metal about half the thickness of the sleeve, and the whole width of the port. Andy Brown was at our district 13 race last october and showed me one of his sleeves he does for all of the .21 mac engines. I did the mod to my .21 MAC and it screemed even more than it did already, so i figured Id try it out on the outboard and it did seem to help, just dont go to deep and break through the plating! I also put a little more taper on the bottom of the sleeve chamfer and smoothed it all out. Ive never had it radared but its alot faster than the only two other O.S. outboards in my club. I run Red Max 50% and it loves it. I either run a X437/3 or X440/3 prop. both with nuetral "tilt" on the engine. on a modified Herb stewart tunnel 29.5 inches in length. ~ Hope this helps, James

P.S. Come on! theres gotta be more O.S. modifieds somewhere out there, share some secrets!.

Be wary of the nickel liner! If you port them they can flake.

Not sure on the stock window timing of the crankshaft but that is one area I'd be looking at. 215 degrees total open is the way to go.

Other things to look at is compression ratio and squish clearance of the head.

I looked on the examples of the engine analysis software. It shows some modified timings on the exhaust. Looks like it would make a difference. They were not changed much, but just enough to make a difference.

Billy R.

Back