Ohlsson&Rice 1hp compact motor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvknox

Friday the Knoxville Gang ran boats to start the year.We even had an international flavor.Bryan Roach was there from Bermuda.You may remember he won the twin hydro shootout in Atlanta a few years ago at buoy 6 on the 6th lap.I brought out my White Heat 10 which I built in 68.I usually run it about once a year.This time unfortunately the starter rope broke,and also broke the starter spring when it retracted into the case.I'm trying to find a new or used spring,and also one starter pawl which broke years ago.I've looked on ebay and craig's list,and have also looked for a user group.No success.

I'll talk to Tom at Octura if he's available next week.I believe he made the water jackets for these motors.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a source or substitute.The spring width is 3/16".The inside has a180 degree hook and the outside is rolled around a 1/16"dia. pin.There is room for almost any type bend on the outside.

I am not that good searching for a user group,and someone on our site may be able to locate something.If anyone comes up with anything please let me know.

Harvey Liberman

Hi Harvey I ran one of those in a V boat. Does that motor have a Octura flex hex or a straight shaft? I was thinking if it has a flex you might get one of the Boris start pulleys that just fit over the collet hex nut. He might make youone that fit s what ever is on your motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harvey, I have a complete engine in the shop somewhere that belonged to my Dad. I know it was running at one time and everything was in working order. I'm sure it was set up for an airplane. When I find it I'll send it to you. At least someone will get some use out of it!

Happy New Year! :D

Dick Tyndall

Hello Harvey , Go to a small engine repair shop, lawnmowers and weedeaters,chainsaws etc. For all the different units out there ,the recoil springs can be made only so many ways that you should be able to match something up along with a starter pawl. Alot of times these shops will have old junkers in the back which are obsolete and could have the parts you are looking for . You will need to take the recoil assembly with you so they can match things up . Hope it works out for you , Geoff Overell.

That White Heat is the loadest boat I ever heard. Harvey has gas that was mixed in 68 too.

He wants to burn it all before mixing new fuel. Post a picture of the boat along with the gallon of 30 year old gas. B)

My dad Pop weimer made a starter belt pully for his in the same boat same motor could we trade some pic and i c if we can get u a bolt on pulley if you want to use a nitro starter belt

A starter spring from a HOMELITE "XL" or "XL-2" should be the ticket :p

Can be purchased as an after market piece also from ROTARY corp threw most saw/mower shops.

First,thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Phil,the White Heat uses a rigid 3/16"drive shaft with Octura U joints which have a round OD.I have 2 of Boris's pulleys on a Zen and an RCMK,and they work great,but I'd like to keep the boat as orginal as possible.It almost broke my heart when I took out the 10 channel Orbit reed receiver,Bonner servos and vucumn tube transmitter and changed over to a PCM setup.

Dick,I'd love to have your old motor.Let me know what the costs are.I believe you have my address.I also have the 3/4 HP version in a 48"Chris Craft cabin cruiser I built in 66, which I also run about once a year.So I can use spare parts.

Bill,I'll give John a call when I get back in Knoxville.

Jose is not kidding about the noise.The Octura megaphone exhaust is unreal.Jose is not familiar with O&R ignition model airplane engines.They ran on a 3:1 white gas and oil mix,and will almost run on a oil/gas gel.The bigger engines are almost the same.I've only got another half gallon to go on my old stuff,and the smoke screen will go away.

Danny,Phil's right on the starter.The wrap around rope starter is too much like work.

Scott,I'll probably take your suggestion or check the small engine shops as Geoff mentioned..

The Knoxville Gang is looking forward to a great year and hope to see you all at the races.

Harvey

Hi Harvey, we used to just re bend a new end on the springs, the trick is to heat the end and let cool slowly to take the temper out of it, if that doesn't work I have a whole box of O&R parts in th shop, I'm sure there is a spring in there some place, I still run O&R's, here's some pictures, that is a fiberglass White 15 with a new stile cowl, and a Sea Queen with a O&R in it.

John R.

boat81.jpg

Simg0080-1.jpg

First,thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Phil,the White Heat uses a rigid 3/16"drive shaft with Octura U joints which have a round OD.I have 2 of Boris's pulleys on a Zen and an RCMK,and they work great,but I'd like to keep the boat as orginal as possible.It almost broke my heart when I took out the 10 channel Orbit reed receiver,Bonner servos and vucumn tube transmitter and changed over to a PCM setup.

Dick,I'd love to have your old motor.Let me know what the costs are.I believe you have my address.I also have the 3/4 HP version in a 48"Chris Craft cabin cruiser I built in 66, which I also run about once a year.So I can use spare parts.

Bill,I'll give John a call when I get back in Knoxville.

Jose is not kidding about the noise.The Octura megaphone exhaust is unreal.Jose is not familiar with O&R ignition model airplane engines.They ran on a 3:1 white gas and oil mix,and will almost run on a oil/gas gel.The bigger engines are almost the same.I've only got another half gallon to go on my old stuff,and the smoke screen will go away.

Danny,Phil's right on the starter.The wrap around rope starter is too much like work.

Scott,I'll probably take your suggestion or check the small engine shops as Geoff mentioned..

The Knoxville Gang is looking forward to a great year and hope to see you all at the races.

Harvey

Latest posts

Back