Offshore what if

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.S.Davis

Not proposing anything but I'm curious as to what you guys might think.

What if we allowed parralel packs in offshore? Instead of limiting the MAH to what technology has to offer. As long as we don't exceed 32 cells in series it's not dangerous. We could require paralleling to be done by harness or something.

For instance.

32 GP3700 in series

or

64 GP3700 with

2 parallel packs of 32 in series.

This would in effect be the same thing that we are talking about for 1/8 scale except that we would still have cell chemistry limitation.

Take a 64 cell boat to a nitro race and scare the paint off of them. LOL 7400mah at well over a 100 amps. Yeeehaaa! Of course you need the big Shultze to pull it off. Might need a real cooling system for the motor too.

How about a 24 cell P offshore boat with 2 packs of 12 2/3A GP2000 cells? hmmm...

Just thinking out loud guys. I'm curoius as to the pros and cons. The only con I could come up with was stupid people that should never mess with FE to begin with.

Am I just thinking too much? It would drive the cost up but OH! what a freakin show!

take away the cell chem so people can run lipo and I would be for it
I second that.

Change the cell chem. to voltage limitations.

Ex. "P" currently = 12 sub C cells. (Change to max. 16.5 volts nom.)

This would allow any cell chemistry to be run.

Honestly, whoever thought up the rule that class specifications should be limited to a certain type of cell was a bit short sighted.

It is not rocket science to figure that different cell types will come and go.

Eliminate this specification and we will be on the right track.

Peter R.

Cutting Edge Models

Climate Models said:
take away the cell chem so people can run lipo and I would be for it
Honestly, whoever thought up the rule that class specifications should be limited to a certain type of cell was a bit short sighted.
103966[/snapback]

Same person that thought VHS would be the next big thing in video. :p

Times change. We just need to change with them.

Ex. "P" currently = 12 sub C cells. (Change to max. 16.5 volts nom.)
that would be 13 almost 14 cells then

it would need to be 15 volts nom.. or go my the manf. posted cell voltage such as nimh 1.2 and lipos 3.7 per cell.. so you can just look at the pack and say yep thats right..

other wise you will have a charged pack not meeting the voltage or someone throwing in a extra cell and having it teched with a discharged pack

I wouldn't want to turn offshore into an ellitest rich guy class. The addition of LiPo might do that until the prices come down.

The 1.2v per cell is the technology anchor that seperates us from Nitro. As long as it exists we will never catch nitro in regards to speed or run time.

I thought allowing parallel in offshore might be a compromise. Let the 1/8 scallions experiment with any/all cell technology. Let offshore experiment with what we already have.

We've already proven we can make rule changes when necessary. I thought maybe we could start with parallel in offshore and then when the pricing is more reasonable move on to LiPo.

Save your breath on the cheaper in the long run explination. Your preaching to the choir.

for what a good 2 sets of nimh would cost you.. You could get a good set of lipos

no thanks.. I would never spend that much in cells to just throw them away at the end of the year..

I would say if it doesn't allow lipo then leave it as is

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1.2v per cell is the technology anchor that seperates us from Nitro. As long as it exists we will never catch nitro in regards to speed or run time
so why keep it in the rules and not allow lipo..

Well, it's not the chemistry. It's the 1.2v per cell that stiffles any creativity. If there was a 1.2v LiPo we would never look back. The book allows ANY chemistry as long as it's stuffed into a 1.2v Sub C package container.

Your right about the cell longevity but you would still be limited by your equipment. The difference being that you may only draw 30 amps per pack instead of 45ish like you probably do now. So the cells would hold up a little better. Still not like a LiPo is supposed to.

your a racers.. how many people will take it easy on there stuff during a race? so do you expect them to last for racing for more then one season

TRUE!

I would just find a way to suck 45 amps from both packs. Maybe twin 2280. Or a single BM370/50/A1s.

Now that I think about it that's exactly what I'd do.

yep you and everyone else.. we are all crazy enough to do it.

what you mean my motor won't take 90 amps for 4 minutes.. cheap crap LOL

Ok now think about this:

We can adjust our duration currently by 2 minutes for offshore.

If you had all that extra capacity would you guys prefer to run 6 or maybe 8 mins a heat? I know some guys are nervous as hell for 4 mins...prob need a paramedic next to the drivers stand. :p

Yeah thats alot of extra racing but think of the lap counts....each pit man will need a clicker to count.

Thinking outta the box or slightly outside or I put my left foot in and shake it all about...do the offshore pokey and T bone yourself around.... :lol:

Interesting thinking. Just a show of hands, who wants to race Nitro guys?? Sure it would be a kick in the pants to set up our electrics to give them a run for their money, but what is that really accomplishing? That we can compete? Well, I guess that's a good thing. But, again, what is that accomplishing? A good exhibition? Well, yeh, that would be cool, too. Do you someday see Nitro/Electric events, I mean big events being hosted together? ****, Terry can answer this one, how would you like to manage that?

For me, we've got a good thing going in FE right now. Currently no less than 5 races a year across the country that we can attend.

All previous discussions about making changes to help "merge" between the 2 doesn't do anything for me. If they like what we've got, then they will come. If not, so what. I'd bet we're pulling more new blood then they are, anyway. I base that by attending the last Nitro Race in Az in '04 and our '05 Nats. We've got a terrific group of people in this crazy little hobby of ours, all across the country.

What does get me excited? Running bigger boats with less cells and getting more speed. Lipo's can do that. So can IB 3800's, or whatever other super cell is coming down the pipe in the near future. Who would have thought at MC-5 that there would be a 26" mono running N-2 classes at MC-6? That's a major cost-cutting move, and technology will help us get there. Running S size mono's with P setups and attaining the same speeds? We're **** near there now. OH, but that contradicts me a bit. Bigger course will be needed.

We keep making the progress we've been doing since I've been in the hobby (a whopping 2 years now), and we won't need to worry about catering to the gassers. We've got our own game. If they want to play, check our rule book (when it's separated).

I'd much rather compete in another MC-6 than try to fork my way into a nitro event. I love you guys too much!

If this is a senseless ramble, it's because I'm on valium. :) Inner ear acting up on me again.

good point Dave.. I think the same thing.. if its not including lipos it not worth doing. lipos will change Fe if and when they become legal.

love you to man

Dave,

Kelly and I talked on the phone. Can you imagine trying to make that left with 6 boats capable of 65 mph? Sends chills down my spine. How about that hair pin at the end of the back straight at 65+ mph? Better go DEEP DEEP vee with a low CG.

Maybe we can convince the guys to open up T offshore for a little experimentation for MC7. Prices should come down some by then too.

Hi Guys,

Interesting thinking. Just a show of hands, who wants to race Nitro guys??
I would.

For me, we've got a good thing going in FE right now. Currently no less than 5 races a year across the country that we can attend.
5 races, yep that sure is an atractive number....not. That number is so weak, we can't even get any district point series going. Have you guys looked at the number of races and point series going on in the nitro/gas side? Cripes, you could race every weekend if you wanted and do it pretty local. Did you ever figure out what a weekend of racing costs you? Break down your equipment, time, travel and wages over 5 races and see what you come up with.

All previous discussions about making changes to help "merge" between the 2 doesn't do anything for me. If they like what we've got, then they will come. If not, so what.
That's a poor attitude. I along with a few other guys are going to the IMPBA Internats because they have welcomed us to race in the open classes against nitro and gas boats. You don't see the value in that?

I'd bet we're pulling more new blood then they are, anyway.
Your dreaming. I'll take that bet.

If this is a senseless ramble, it's because I'm on valium.
Now I understand, lol.

Paul.

i agree with Paul...

i look forward to attending combined IMPBA gas-nitro-fe events in the near future and emagine i'll learn a great deal from the gas and nitro folks...

i've got a Neu powered Seaducer FE-33 on 18 cells i can't wait to toss in at a nitro event...

even if i get my buns handed to me on a platter...

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you guys have the opportunity to throw in with the Nitro/gas boats, and I'll be following your success closely.

I've always had a problem with long time future outlook. I have a hard enough time focusing in on the next 6-8 months of race preparation! But, that's why I have you guys! :D

Paul, my 5 race comment was really club racing putting on annual events. I'm not sure what side of that you are coming from. Would you like 9 big District races/year, or 2? Is that what you mean by Point Series Racing?? Just looking for clarification.

And, it's always good to have options to fulfill whatever inspires you to keep up with this hobby.

In the meantime, I'll be getting some new stuff ready for the THC!

Feeling better today, too. Only on 1/2 valium!

Back