Octura prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Villeneuve

Hey guys,

Whats the difference between the octura X series, M series and 14 series?
In terms of what your boat does?
Is there any prop basics thread or article somewhere?

Thanks
Mike

X series are “non-lifting”. They are surface driven propellers and work well on monos and tunnel hulls.
M series are much like X series but are detounged. The blade area is smaller, I’m not sure on the technical term associated with the difference but the blade shape is different
14 series are lifting, they are typical especially on riggers and tunnels. These props typically run deeper than x series because they create much more lift

Octura propeller size charts

* Octura props are supplied in 1/8 inch (1/8 inch, 3.18mm), 3/16 inch (3/16 inch, 4.78mm) or 1/4 inch
(0.25 inch, 6.35mm).
* 1/4 inch props are in general too large for Electric use.
* 3/16 inch props can be used on a 4mm shaft if a thin walled brass or aluminium spacer is used.
* Prop sizing - first two digits represent the pitch e.g. in X4nn or 14nn props the pitch is 1.4 times
the diameter
* all props are LH (counter clockwise viewed from rear) unless there is a trailing R on the prop
designation ( RH/ clockwise viewed from rear)
* 12 are low lift ideal for submerged drive
X4 are medium lift general purpose props
M4 are like X4 but with the ears removed to unload the prop
Y are like X series but have 10% more pitch
X5 are general all purpose med lift prop
X6 are higher lift than X4 and suitable for surface/semi surface use
14 are moderatley high lift for hydros and deep V's
16 are high lift props for riggers and hydro's
17 are the highest lift prop for riggers and outboards
P7 are similar to 17 series but more rake and less lifti
19 are high lift for riggers and hydro's
V9 are moderate lift suitable for riggers, mono's and cat
20 are moderatley high lift suitable for riggers
21 are high lift for riggers and hydro's 22 are high lift surface drive only good straight line speed
* The pitch of a prop represents the distance that the prop would travel in a forwards direction when
turned once - assuming that there is no slip - for calculations it is reasonable to assume a slip of up to 20%

thanks for the info guys, from what I understand, I should be trying out X and 14 series for my 3.5 tunnel and for my 20 hydro (that to me seems to be sticking the water alot) I should go for a X5, X6, 14 or 16 ? going to be buying a couple of props so I want to make sure I get what I need.

What engine and hull are you running for your 3.5 tunnel?
20 hydro? 1445 and 1450 are good props to start out with on the hydro within the octura range

Hull is a design made off of a hotshot but with my sponsons, with a K&B 3.5.
20 hydro is a design off of a local guys that I bought new, and I'm putting a cmb LS in it this winter. I was running a OS max with a 440 3 blade this summer, not sure if its a x or m. 1445 and 1450 aren't too big for a 20 hydro?

No, not at all. Not super familiar with the green heads, but a 1445 should be a great baseline prop.
KB 3.5 for the tunnel, most ran an x435 or x437

No, not at all. Not super familiar with the green heads, but a 1445 should be a great baseline prop.
KB 3.5 for the tunnel, most ran an x435 or x437

Thanks alot Brandon,
still very new to props and boat racing in general but I'll get to work on finding those props and start testing with those!

Michael..
The hotshot based hull with the K&B responds very well to the X440 detounged balanced prop...the 1440 prop works...but I have found the 440 unloads better with overall better speed..

Last edited:
The lead tounge closest to the hub on the prop blade....i will get a pic

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-11-10-08-56-44.png
    Capture+_2020-11-10-08-56-44.png
    2 MB · Views: 46
Back