NR 46 DD tuning tips needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I'm sure there are those out there who are master tuners for this motor. I have it in my eagle SG and the break in went well and showed signs of really wanting to get up and go throughout the process and when I had enough fuel through it and started to lean it in it really screamed, now mind you this was with a small prop. As a final test I threw on a pitched up H18 and it spooled up nicely and showed good speed. This however was with a AB muffled pipe, I was waiting on a new header from Glenn at the time. So now with he NR header and pipe on it, I'm having difficulty getting consistant performance out of it. In testing today I had a stock 1655 on it and as long as I cleaned it out good and prior to launch it would up and go quite nicely but if I backed out of the throttle for any reason it would fall off the pipe and I couldn't get it to come back. Tried a longer pipe, same result and with less rpm. Currently have the pipe length at 10 1/4 and am at 2500 feet. Would like some input from you dudes who know how to make these NR's scream, thanks!

Greg, make sure the head clearance is around .009" (should have no shims in it), and make sure the motor is getting up to temp (should have very little water cooling!).

GQ

Greg,

We here in Miami are running pipes at 91/2" down to 91/8 with 60%nitro fuel without any problem. A friend of mine has done some testing with a CMB nitro pipe with great results I run the nova nitro pipe. We are turning 1655 pitch up a bit without any problems I have run my eagle with this prop and have a you tube video of it running at 81 mph. If you would like to see it look for jose 45 eagle. I hope that this helps.

Jose

Thanks guys, I've seen your you tube clip Jose, you had it screaming very nicely. I'll double check my head clearance and try pinching off the cooling a bit and re-test, thanks Glenn.

Thanks if you can believe it I still have that boat my buddy Elias has told several times that this is the best running Eagle he has ever seen the problem was everyone wants to buy stuff very cheap but I had decided long ago that if I could not get at least what I had into this boat I was just not going to give it away. Good luck with your motor and please let us know how it goes.

Jose

Hey guys, after making the changes Glenn suggested I raced the boat in Edmonton this weekend and it worked perfectly, spun my stock 1655 easily and for a lark I threw on one of my pitched up H18's, and found the speed I was looking for, thanks for the help guys!

Back