Novarossi on K&B Lower

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Moyle

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a Novarossi onto a K&B lower. I'm just wondering what my options are for a steering arm? Will the K&B arm fit up to the lower Nova engine mount holes, or will I have to make something up?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Dave

I would suggest you go with another lower. You are going to end up breaking a lot of cables with the nova on there. One with a lay down design. The one I like the best is the OS. I have my MAC with a modified OS PTO. Works awesome.

Mike

well i can say different ok.

i use the K&B outboard mount on the bottom 2 holes the engine and the top left side for the throttle i have not had any of them break yet and i have been racing them for almost 2 years

get some flex shafts from kris flynn here on iw. you won't be breaking them B) !! someone, maybe rod geraghty, did some testing as to how much power loss you had in different lowers. the k&b was the most efficient/less frictional loss of all. including rek, lawless, & os.

Thanks for the input guys! :D I intend to keep running the k&b lower for a while (the boat is set up for it, I am just doing a powerhead swap). I've been running Kris' flex shafts for a while now, and have had great success with them (between us we figured out that shorter square sections take a lot of stress out of the shaft). I've been experimenting with different teflon tubes, at the moment I'm using 6mm od / 4mm id teflon and it seems to work great! Supports the shaft well, and the extra support increases the life span of the prop shaft.

Great to hear that I can use the k&b steering arm too! B)

i agree, tim. a brass or stainless liner is MUCH better than a nylon or teflon one. there's a reason k&b gives you 2 liners with every flex B) . a LOT of "broken" flex shafts were actually caused by liner failure, imho.

get some flex shafts from kris flynn here on iw. you won't be breaking them
cool.gif
!! someone, maybe rod geraghty, did some testing as to how much power loss you had in different lowers. the k&b was the most efficient/less frictional loss of all. including rek, lawless, & os.
I never had a problem breaking cables when I ran a Mac on the K&B lower, It's the pos propshaft thats worn out after 1 run that I didn't care for, and Brians nitro watersports parts didn't last long either. The superior propshaft and the adjustability of the mount on the OS foot make all the others obsolete.

Dave,

Since you are able to get Ken to make stuff...tell him to make an outboard lower unit for ya LOL

Dave,

Since you are able to get Ken to make stuff...tell him to make an outboard lower unit for ya LOL
Nice one Kris! :lol: It's in the pipeline. The pipeline is very long that's all!

I'll be sticking with the poor old k&b lower unit for a while unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
i use lawless lower unit on all my B mod tunnels and i only broke 2 shafts all season. i now have a Mac 21 on a OS lower unit and we will see how it performs hopefully its good lol.

i use lawless lower unit on all my B mod tunnels and i only broke 2 shafts all season. i now have a Mac 21 on a OS lower unit and we will see how it performs hopefully its good lol.

I'd be willing to bet you'll be selling a bunch of lawless legs,unless the ones you have use the OS propshaft.
wink.gif

actually they all :blink: use the K&B propshaft and the lawless lowers i have on my boats have been there since i bought them im actually very happy with them. but now im going to try one OS lower just to experiment then go back to lawless.

I did the same thing as you, tried the OS as an experiment... I don't have any lawless drives anymore.

Your mileage may vary, but my boats run much better without the vibration induced by the wobbly K&B shafts. There isn't anything wrong with Fred's Howe's lower units.

Got it Julian, thanks! I assume you want me to send it to the address on the letter? or somewhere else?

~ James

Latest posts

Back