Novarossi .21 ls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamspeed

HI,

A have seen on the novarossi web site that they recommended a head clearance of .03 for a Long stork motor Give a look to your glow plug. Please see below:

The simplest accessory to check is the glow plug but it is also the one which gives you the exact image of the engine health. The thread is silver colored but is made with an alloy composed by Platinum and Rhodium! To keep a constant look at glow plug will help you to understand how to make the carburetion. In the following way:

1) Take the glow plug away and look at the thread:

If the spiral of the plug is a little bit pressed and bent it means that the engine is too compress. If you are racing on a sea level track, with 25% or more nitro could be the main reason. Than you need to check under head shims and in case insert a tenth.

2) If the thread has a dull, as sanded, it means that the carburetion is too leaning (poor of fuel) and you can damage the engine. You run the risk to break the thread and to make it fall down on the top end of the piston, damaging also the sleeve. In both these cases, we suggest you to replace the old with a new plug.

3) If the thread has a dark color and the plug seems humid, the carburetion is too rich and the engine does not work at its best. You have to lean the carburetion closing the full speed needle.

4) When the thread is polished and the spiral does not present any imperfections, your engine carburetion is ok.

Standard shims into Novarossi factory engines:

Cubic Capacity Shims in mm

2,1cc 0,3 mm

2,5cc 0,3 mm

3,5cc Start 0,3 mm

3,5cc Short stroke 0,6 mm

3,5cc Short stroke 1B 7 ports 0,3 mm

3,5cc Long stroke 0,6 mm

3,5cc Long stroke Marine 0,3 mm

8,3cc 0,2 mm

10cc 0,2 mm

Very important:

During the installation of a turbo glow plug on the under head verify that no dust or any other material come inside because they could make precarious the seal of this glow plug during the compression.

My head clearance with no shims is .08 when I ran it was very strong but eat up plugs. I then increased it to .12 and it still eat up plugs I now have it a .16 I’m not eating plugs but I did have a drop in performance.

With this setup I can run full are half throttle but if I come in to a turn hot and start to let off the throttle she will die coming out of the turn.

I do not know if the two problems are related any suggestions.

hey jam,

for what it is worth,here are my comments

I have been running nova rossi .21s for about 4 years now.(long stroke).

I run a head clearence of .009 to .010 and use 60%fuel in them.make your pipe lenght about 8.75to9 inches.

I have been useing mccoy mc9 plugs or k&b HP plugs.

my last testing ,I ran 6 times on the HP plug and it still looked new.

let me know how it works for you,hope this helps .

mark

Thanks I will let you know. Frist I have to take out the piston and clean it up and the head button has seen better days.

HI,

A have seen on the novarossi web site that they recommended a head clearance of .03 for a Long stork motor Give a look to your glow plug.
They aren't reccomending a .03 thou clearance - they are saying the standard head shim is 3 thou thick. There is still some offset in the head to increase the clearance further. My 2 nova's run at 10 thou with 50% nitro. I have run as low as 6 thou but would pop plugs coming off pipe.

NO TWO HULLS OR ENGINES ARE ALIKE IN WHAT THEY LIKE TO MAKE THEM RUN EVEN OF THE SAME MAKE. SET UP, SET UP, SET UP IS THE KEY. YOU WANT YOUR ENGINE TO RUN CONSISTENT TO START WITH. ON THAT ENGINE I KNOW A LOT OF GUYS THAT RUN 13-14 THOU ON HEAD CLEARANCE WITH NO PROBLEMS ON POPING PLUGS, AND CAN RACE WITH THE BEST OF THEM BECAUSE OF THEIR SET UP ON THEIR BOAT. YOU'VE GOT TO GET THE RIGHT PROP, ENGINE POSITION WITH THAT PROP AND THE PIPE SET RIGHT. EVERY PROP YOU TRY YOU NEED TO TRY DIFFENANT ENGINES POSITIONS, UP AND DOWN AND TRIM IN AND OUT TO SEE WHAT WORKES BEST WITH THAT PROP. ALSO A LOT OF TIMES YOU MAY NEED TO PUSH YOUR PIPE IN OR PULL IT OUT A LITTLE ON EACH PROP TO GET IT TUNED IN FOR THAT PROP. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND PROPS UNLESS YOU GET LUCKY. THE FASTEST BOAT DON'T ALWAYS WIN. MOST OF THE TIME IF YOUR THE FASTEST BOAT YOU'LL BE THE FIRST TO CRASH UNLESS YOU ARE A REAL GOOD DRIVER. SEEN THIS TIME AND TIME AGAIN. WE JUST RACED IN MISS AND I WAS THE SLOWEST BOAT IN THE OPEN CAT CLASS. ( BUT ) I WAS TIED FOR FIRST PLACE GOING INTO OUR 5th HEAT. HIT THE CLOCK ON THE MONEY AND OUT FRONT. WENT AROUND BUOY 1,2,3, AND DARN HEADER BROKE IN HALF. STILL BROUGHT HOME 2nd PLACE TROPHY.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.

JOE

Back