nitro news

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

I found some info on our fuels I thought I would share.on methanol the flash point is 61 degrees,boiling point is 148 degrees and freezing point is -144 degrees.on nitro flash point is 110 degrees,boiling point 214 degrees and freezing at -20 degrees and last but not least is acetone.boiling point is 133 degrees,flash point is 0 degrees and freezing at -138 degrees.acetone is an adittive mixed at 5% will reduce detonation and adding water at 2.5% max will reduce pre-ignition and detonation and the water is usable up to that point after that is just starts to dilute the mixture.all ferinheit(think thats how you spell it! : :)

My first thought after reading this is where did you get this information and my second thought was I didn't know that water would mix, much less reduce pre-ignition and detonation.

Humm??

Interesting

Hi Guys

Water will definately mix with methanol as it is a hydroscopic fluid (absorbes water naturally from air). This would partially explain why aged fuel is some times better than fresh in high temperatures.

Lots of methanol suppliers include a small percentage of acetone in the mix. Lots of people get upset if there is acetone in the methanol but it is a hydrocarbon and burns like all others. Any worries about acetic acid resude is less of problem for alloys than nitric acid deposits. In other words always flush with after run oil. ;)

Cheers

GT 8)

Oh and if your engine is undercompressed, just add a little water to your fuel...

Cant give you specifics on how much to add though.

EMS Racing but water doesnt burn???

Hi

I didn't read anything about adding water - did I miss this info. Slight amounts of water absorbed into the fuel will hold of detonation by increasing flash point of fuel. As an aside water is less compressable than other constituents in fuel and will cause an increase in compression, and although it doesn't burn its boiling point is considerably lower than the ignition temperatures experienced during combustion. It turns to steam and expands like all gases do when heated until ignition. Strangely enough water contains oxygen & hydrogen which are about as combustable as you can get. So maybe it does burn but I've never been in a combustion chamber at the time, have you? :p

If anyone thinks they have pure fuel, no water, no dye, no other additives they may need to use both hands to type. Do you have complete control of the blending and mixing of the fuel constituents and is that done in a vacuum and sealed in bottles that are not exposed to air. This I'd like to see. I'm not suggeting that you should not strive for fresh, clean fuel - far from it but I am suggesting that all fuel ages (takes on water) and this will not destroy performance as fast as not properly maintaining engines exposed to acetic compounds.

GT

Another sidenote concerning water in the fuel--several WWII fighters had water injection as a means of a temporary power boost when the engine was at full throttle. Don't know exactly how it worked, but it did.

AV-8 Herriers have a water tank onboard. While hovering the jet, they inject water into the engine to create cooler (denser air) output. This creates more thrust for hovering.

Kind Regards

Crawdaddy

Its all a crock

Actually, the reciprocating engines on aircraft, that use water injection, inject the water into the fuel air mixture downstream of the atomization area. The gasoline and water are not really mixed, the atomized fuel/air mixture and water spray from the injection jet are combined in the lower part of the carbureator throat or the inlet to the supercharger. When the water injection is activated, the carbureator leans out to about 15:1 (air to fuel) which in nearly perfect combustion, the water provides the cooling that is required to prevent pre-ignition (aka detonation).

Well, it makes for some interesting theories don't it?

Personally, I've never experienced a boost in performance when my carbs ingest some H2O--quite the opposite. :-

Hey SSC, how'd I know you would reply to this? ;D

In my opinion for placing this info is that water does not improve performance alone as well as acetone but they might allow to run slightly higher c.r. and that would increase performance.thought maybe somebody might try both water at 2.5% to a gallon and 5% acetone to a gallon and raise the c.r. and see if there is a gain maybe.I will try it too and see if I see a gain.

"Hey SSC, how'd I know you would reply to this?"

PJ, you know more about me than anyone else on this board.

I worked on those aircraft engines when I was a young mechanic.

Guys,

When an aquaintance and I were running no nitro fuel we noticed it was very sensitive to water absorbtion, much more so than fuel with a good amount of nitro in it. Once the fuel got more than about two weeks old it was almost impossible to get the needle setting right and it seemed to lose power. But we didn't really experiment with water as a method of running higher compression.

Ian.