Newton Plan #103 (and Alan's boat for sale)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett randall

Alan's boat that is for sale appears to be Newton Plan #103.

(intlwaters topic 48231)

I've never worked with the Newton plans before, will the all the boats pictured under #103 on the website work on Alan's boat that is for sale?

I guess what I'm asking is there a 1 to 1 relationship between the pictures on the site and the actual hull, or does the hull need to be changed in some way depending on what year/scheme/sponsor of the real hull desired?

Thanks.

Garrett

Garrett, I have drawn up the Hawaii Kai 103, and I will say with as many newton plans as I have worked on, sometimes you can go by matching newton numbers, being all the same frame/ hull, sometimes you cannot. You should see what plan set he has 103-(whatever the letter is on the paint scheme), and compare on the Newton site the master hull numbers listed per plan set on his site. Say he has 103-a and you want the 103-x hull. If they are same master hull numbers, they are gonna be the same frame for sure. But if 103-a and 103-e are different master hulls, email or call David and have him check to see if they are all the same. I had him do that for the 106 set if I remember right, and come to find out, all the frames in the 106 lineup matched. Hope this was not to confusing as the process can be! Mike Luszcz

Hey Guys,

Don't make more of Roger's plans than is really there. What he was saying is that all the boats listed under a particular "Plan Number" will use the same framing plan and will probably be within the tolerance values assigned by R/C Unlimiteds - i.e. Length +/- 1", width, tunnel, APL, Pickle Fork depth, and depth all +/- 10%

The letter designation simply refers to a specific "Paint Scheme" drawing.

The R/C Unlimiteds Master Hull Roster (MHR) had a column, for at least the 2003 Revision that provided Newton Plan # for most of the listed Hull #. That column is for registered "Owner" in their 2010 MHR

I hope this clarifies a bit for you. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies...

I was looking at the 1972 Timex (u-44), which is the same plan number on Newton's site (#103), yet on the master hull roster they are NOT the same.

So if I'm understanding the replies correctly, Alan's hull for sale should be able to make the 1972 Timex, within all the 10% allowable tollerances even though they are not the same boat on the master hull roster?

Correct???

Garrett

What MHR number are you after? U number u-8 or U-44?

really proof pictures #103-D 1964 Miss US.5 if you plan blueprint depend on #103 ( A, B, C or D etc..) shape body

Garrett,

I believe the '72 Timex you are talking about is MHR #6702. This hull was originally the 67 - 70 U-2 Miss US (7th in series)

Alan's boat is modeled and painted to be of MHR #6402 '64 - '65 Miss US 5 built from a Steve Muck hull. According to an OLD 1982 Catalog page, Steve produced the following round Nose hulls, and appeares to use Roger's plan numbers for #101, #102, and #106. See attached catalog page for nostalgia purposes. .

Here are the Master Hull Roster (MHR) dimensions for the 6702:

Length: 44.00 - 46.00", Width: 16.20 -19.80", Tunnel width: 8.55 - 10.45", After Plane Length: 21.6 - 26.4".

If this is indeed the MHR you want to model, check with Alan to see that the hull he has will fit into these measurements, then get pictures for documentation, and to have something to model to. Make any needed changes to the hull / cowl, I think you'll need to build and install a dummy engine (Mikey and Phil have neat hinged dummy motors that rotate up and away to start engine) - I don't believe the Timex ran a full cowl, get the graphics made, repaint the newly painted U-2 hull and call that puppy Miss Timex and enjoy eacing it in nitro scale.

Is running Alan's hull as is looking better and better to you?? CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back