New Scale - motor offset

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennard Cuenco

time to decide where the motor goes in this new pos i have for 2015,

can someone explain the goals/benefits/disadvantages of offsetting the motor in the tub? I have it currently centered in the tub of an offset (mirrored right) 8700

Id just build it the easiest way you can,never seen a scale boat that dont need some lead. All you can do is get the cg as close as possible and tweak it when you run it. I have seen 10 pound scale boats beat by 15 pound boats get the boat to handle and then work on corner speed. So many scale boats hit the brakes when turning this is where you need to work.

thanks so much guys...very helpful stuff here
default_smile.png

thanx Sam...

is your center section offset? and I'm assuming you offset your mount 1/4" left of tub center?

is that correct?

most importantly, why are you doing that? do you have problems with your left sponson lifting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lennard.

As far at the motor itself is placed this is just merely weight. I spend more time on shaft placement and what that might mean to the motors placement. My scale boat has the motor in the center (it was just easiest that way with the humdinger mount) and the shaft 1deg to port. This places the center of the prop shaft about ¾” or so off center. It does take an “amount” of weight over the left sponson to correct the boat anyway so to me this was a fair trade off.

My sport 40 on the other hand has the motor set to starboard and the shaft 1deg to port. (Custom motor mount). The prop is in the center of the boat. It still takes an amount of weight to correct the boat however.

Never the less.. in the center of the boat is great.

Grimracer

Latest posts

Back