new guy here with 7.5 K&B on a 36inch tunnel hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Dixon

This is my first venture into rc nitro boats. I got a sweet deal on a 36 inch tunnel Hull with a 7.5 K&B outboard with a broke connecting rod. Going to replaced the rod soon. Just thought I would join this forum to get some ideas on tuning and set up....I plan on just doing some local pond racing with some friends right now. anyway here is my boat :

!cid__downsize.jpg

Very nice boat!

Early HTB. Looks like a 340, but if it is 36 inches long, it will be a 360.

8702 K&B outboard with a Aerotech pipe. Nice combo!

I raced that same set up for several years with good luck. Nice boat!!! Welcome to IW.... set the motor @ 0 deg. and center of the prop shaft about an 1/8 inch above the ride surface of the sponsons. Approx. 9 1/4 " CG.... Go up with the motor and/or add weight to the nose to get the ride and RPM your looking for. For props try a octura 1450, octura 450 3 blade, 450 2 blade, 235 prather. These are all good props to start with. Good luck and happy boating!!!

Very nice boat!

Early HTB. Looks like a 340, but if it is 36 inches long, it will be a 360.

8702 K&B outboard with a Aerotech pipe. Nice combo!
thanks for the info. I was wondering what manufacturer made the hull...My brother n law ended up with 2 off them and I got one of them.( the one he blew the motor on....lol )...I think is just a broke rod i hope...

Dang Chris. You must live near Little River!!! We are coming down there this weekend to Cricket Cove Marina where we keep our boat!!! If I can help you or your brother-in-law with parts to get your boats going, let me know!!!! PM me and I will get you my cell number. Maybe I can stop by or you can drop by the marina sometime when we are there and bring your stuff. Welcome to a great hobby with a lot of great people!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang Chris. You must live near Little River!!! We are coming down there this weekend to Cricket Cove Marina where we keep our boat!!! If I can help you or your brother-in-law with parts to get your boats going, let me know!!!! PM me and I will get you my cell number. Maybe I can stop by or you can drop by the marina sometime when we are there and bring your stuff. Welcome to a great hobby with a lot of great people!!!
thanks ronshaw. Yea I can be to Little River in about 15-20 minutes from my house. All I need is a rod and some fuel at this point just to get going. I can order the fuel from a hobby shop about an hour away. I will try to order the rod as soon as I get back from a Family campout in tabor city about 30 minutes from Little river. We are leaving tomorrow and staying till sunday.

Sounds great Chris. You can also call FHS Supply in SC. They sell Red Max fuel. Ask for 50 or 60% boat blend.

Send me a PM and I will get you my cell number. If you need a rod let me know if your powerhead is a 8701 or 8702 and I will see what I have. If you are not sure, look at the thickness of the flange where the front intake housing mounts to the main case. If its about 1/8" thick its an 8701 with a 15mm crank. If its about a 1/4" thick, its an 8702 with a 17mm crank, (great motor).

Then I'll check with Moparbarn to see what he will allow me to sell it to you for, (inside joke), but Im thinking free. Talk to you soon.

I have always run Red Max so I know the mix is always the same. There are others such as

Otto's fuel people swear by as well. Red Max will tell you the ratios they use in their boat blend if you are interested. Otto will too. Decide on one and stick with them. At least you will have one "known" to go with all the other unknowns that will drive you crazy!!!... ;)

Sounds great Chris. You can also call FHS Supply in SC. They sell Red Max fuel. Ask for 50 or 60% boat blend.

Send me a PM and I will get you my cell number. If you need a rod let me know if your powerhead is a 8701 or 8702 and I will see what I have. If you are not sure, look at the thickness of the flange where the front intake housing mounts to the main case. If its about 1/8" thick its an 8701 with a 15mm crank. If its about a 1/4" thick, its an 8702 with a 17mm crank, (great motor).

Then I'll check with Moparbarn to see what he will allow me to sell it to you for, (inside joke), but Im thinking free. Talk to you soon.
looks like it is 1/4 inch I think but it also looks like their is a spacer or a casting line under it? so im not sure. will post a pic now

here is a pic of the intake housing and what looks like a spacer
Great pic. Thats a 8702, 17mm crank motor. The line you see is a casting mark from the redesign to thicken the flange and accommodate the larger crank. Thats a great engine. I run that same engine today. It is still winning races.

Great pic. Thats a 8702, 17mm crank motor. The line you see is a casting mark from the redesign to thicken the flange and accommodate the larger crank. Thats a great engine. I run that same engine today. It is still winning races.
cool I was hopeing it was a good engine...I dont plan on full on racing yet. just a little sport racing at a local pond till i get this boat stuff down pat...lol

cool I was hopeing it was a good engine...I dont plan on full on racing yet. just a little sport racing at a local pond till i get this boat stuff down pat...lol
Great way to start Chris. Its a constant learning curve and a fun sport. There are a lot of people on IW that will help you in any way they can. I am sure you already know that from the responses you have received in your two threads. Talk to you soon.

does this mean that I have the .234 or the .218 rod? I need to order one. I guess I need to tear it apart and measure before I order one..........update it is the .218 rod........

I used a spektrum DX3.0 and a spektrum s3000 reciever today and kept running out of range....Does this system have as much range as a crystal radio/reciever combo? also my 6.6 volt 220 mah life battery died to early....maybe a bad battery...not sure...I also have an older futaba 3pk with pcm module with fm crystals and a hrs dial a freq module receiver combo.....what is everybody using these days.....My spektrum dx3.0 system has plenty of range for pan car racing but doesnt have any range in a boat.....?

Back