New From Aquacraft! the UL-1 Superior Fast Electric Hydroplane

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

Intlwaters is excited to officially announce the newest boat from Aquacraft!

The UL-1 Superior Fast Electric Hydroplane!

Check this baby out!

mp1.JPG

AquaCraft UL-1 Superior Fast Electric Hydroplane

A Michael "Grimracer" Zaborowski Design

Street price around $330

Hull:

Fiberglass shoebox with drop tub center

ABS cowl and hatch

RACE inspired tape down hatch

LIPO READY and RECOMMENDED

Aluminum hardware

.150 cable with .187" stubshaft

27" long

4+lbs RTR

New aluminum motor cooling jacket

Available in a new cooler yellow, red, orange and white

Radio:

2.4ghz Tactic System

Standard Tactic servo

Antenna-less RX (very cool and very solid performing)

Motor:

AquaCraft 3656-2030

6 poles

Weight: 212g including male and female connectors

Input Voltage: 7-18.5V

Max. Constant Current: 50A

Max. Surge Current: 80A/five seconds

No Load Current: 5.0A

Motor Diameter: 36mm

Motor Length: 56mm

Shaft Diameter: 5mm

Shaft Length: 15mm

kV Rating: 2030 rpm/V

ESC:

Length: 3.25" (83mm)

Width: 1.5" (38mm)

Height: 5/16" (17mm)

Weight:3.8oz (109grams)

Wire Gauge: 14g

Battery Connectors: Male Ultra Deans Plugs (2)

Motor Connectors: 4mm gold plated bullet connectors (3)

Input Voltage: 12-14 NiMH, 4 cells LiPo, 8-20V input w/o BEC

Output Current: 60A continuous maximum 72A surge maximum

Max Output Power: 720 watts

On-resistance: 0.003 ohms

Operating frequency: 8kHz

BEC: 5.2V/2A

Stutter Bump Voltage: 12V

Low Voltage Cutoff: 11.6V

Thermal Cutoff: 110C

Timing Angle: 10 degree

At this time I do not have dates as to when the boat is going to hit the shore.. I will let you know when I know.

Grim

p.s. some fun notes:

In testing we have hit over 41mph out of the box

In testing we have hit 49mph with this setup using the new Grimracer L40X56/3 prop

you can fit up to 10,000mah in this platform

The prototype in its first heat race ran 2 seconds faster then the NAMBA P class heat racing record on NIMPH cells

FE__8_.JPG

p1010004.JPG

p1010006.JPG

p1010007.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like a sweet boat !! My brother in law is already trying to figure out how he can get rid of his sv27 and upgrade to the new UL-1. One question is he has a bunch of nimh packs with deans plugs (7.2v packs) will they work (I told him I think so)?

Thanks Aquacraft ...................................Looks Sweet !!!

Paul

That looks like a sweet boat !! My brother in law is already trying to figure out how he can get rid of his sv27 and upgrade to the new UL-1. One question is he has a bunch of nimh packs with deans plugs (7.2v packs) will they work (I told him I think so)?

Paul
look like the one that Grim was running as a sport20!!!!Same hull design!!They should make a nitro verson too!!! I would love to get my hands on that!!! :D Grims design is a grandslam master piece!!!!! It's alot better looking then the vegas!!! Would love to see if they made a nitro vesion and race it against the vegas and see who's wins!!! All I have to say now VIDEO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Prorotype running in the 2007 Namba Nats

168616992_jSU9r-L.jpg

168608533_vDfQj-L.jpg

168611362_UMUyh-L.jpg

168606577_qGoD5-L.jpg

Jim

Yes, NiMH will work but not as well.

MH; prototype had the same paint job as Mike's Sport 20, but it for sure is not the same hull design, not even close.

Thanks,

Rw

Paul
look like the one that Grim was running as a sport20!!!!Same hull design!!They should make a nitro verson too!!! I would love to get my hands on that!!! :D Grims design is a grandslam master piece!!!!! It's alot better looking then the vegas!!! Would love to see if they made a nitro vesion and race it against the vegas and see who's wins!!! All I have to say now VIDEO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to hear some info on the unique sponson design. I don't believe I have ever seen sponsons like that before on any boat.

Yes, NiMH will work but not as well.
MH; prototype had the same paint job as Mike's Sport 20, but it for sure is not the same hull design, not even close.

Thanks,

Rw

Paul
the one that U40 post pics is the one that was on the vegas thread for sponsons mods .Was told it was a sport20..For the pic that U-40 posted it has a vegas hull with sponsons mods and different cowl!!

I bet this is the new miss vegas and will be in nitro power soon my fingers a crossed.

There was some talk awhile back about coming out with a new Miss Vegas hull that incorporated the sponson mod to it...I thought I heard the idea got shot down because it would make the old hull obsolete (no one would want it). When I first saw this boat, I thought that it was the MV with mod...but they put it out in electric to keep it from replacing the MV. I would like to get my hands on the two hulls side by side to see how they differ.

It does look like the tub of the cowl is off center on this new boat (not sure if it is, if it is the pic making it look like it is, or if it is just me).

Also looks like the hull is not as deep at the MV. And the top part of the hull seems to overhang the sponsons too...

Would be neat to see it sold as hull only so we can fool around with sticking nitro engines in it.

Sean

Boat looks good. I like the improved realism. The cowl looks a little short on the back side though but I am sure there was some type of reason for that. I think there will be another Nitro class integrating electrics at the Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic in February. First Scales (Nitro and Electric) Cats (Gas and Electric) and now Sport 21 (Nitro and Electric).

As far as making the MV obsolete... well... who's not used to that? Anyone still have a IBM 386 computer still laying around? That's just part of progress. I would like to see this designed to be easily interchangeable between the electric, .15/.18 and/or .21. That way their is an inexpensive ready-to-run entry that can carry someone all the way to nitro racing form if they so chose.

I know it's the leisure guy that keeps the money coming in but it's the racer that gets 'em excited... Just like NASCAR. What wins on Sunday sales on Monday.

Sean, the hatch is off-center. That trick has been used on 'riggers and tunnel boats to help keep weight to the left in the corners.

Hi Sean,

The MV and UL1 hulls are completely different. The UL1 incorperates shoe-box construction, this is the "overhang" that you see on the sponsons. Much better than joining flat seems......

The cowl on the prototype UL1 was off-center (on purpose) but we elected not to have this done. If we did make it off-center, many (most) would not understand why and end up complaining because it was not in the center.

As far as hulls only. We tried this with previous offerings; nobody buys, at least very few, just a hull.

Thanks,

Rw

There was some talk awhile back about coming out with a new Miss Vegas hull that incorporated the sponson mod to it...I thought I heard the idea got shot down because it would make the old hull obsolete (no one would want it). When I first saw this boat, I thought that it was the MV with mod...but they put it out in electric to keep it from replacing the MV. I would like to get my hands on the two hulls side by side to see how they differ.
It does look like the tub of the cowl is off center on this new boat (not sure if it is, if it is the pic making it look like it is, or if it is just me).

Also looks like the hull is not as deep at the MV. And the top part of the hull seems to overhang the sponsons too...

Would be neat to see it sold as hull only so we can fool around with sticking nitro engines in it.

Sean

Hi Sean, The MV and UL1 hulls are completely different. The UL1 incorperates shoe-box construction, this is the "overhang" that you see on the sponsons. Much better than joining flat seems......

The cowl on the prototype UL1 was off-center (on purpose) but we elected not to have this done. If we did make it off-center, many (most) would not understand why and end up complaining because it was not in the center.

As far as hulls only. We tried this with previous offerings; nobody buys, at least very few, just a hull.

Thanks,

Rw

Sean
Russ I never seen any hulls for sale from aquacraft before??? I know you guys want to beat proboat on sales and stuff,But your behind them on what boats that are being produced. plus no replacements hull...Oh no cats eighter!!!!! You guys have to wake up to realilty here...get on the stick!! This UL-1 is the first realisic boat you guy ever produced that would be your winning ticket in your sales!! Thats if it does the rumor speed of 40MHP?? I liked the cowl,alot better looking then the one thats one the vegas..Wouldnt mind having a similar one to put on the vegas. The pics that U-40 posted ,from the looks its a vegas hull..I Didnt notes that the cowl was off centered too...

Hmmm I was also hoping that AQ would sell the hulls alone. We will be racing these in our club and there is bound to be a few pile ups resulting in destroyed boats. I guess we will have to hope the Ebay guys buy the hulls and strip them down like I have seen with the Vegas hull.

Hey Gang,

Just a little news from the LA SAW today... Brian Buaas, and AquaCraft supported driver, has one of the first UL1s... Mike Z. sent it along with him to see what he could get it to do in stock trim...

Brian called today and says he got it to 65mph one way, with a 64mph backup pass... STOCK, with the exception of a prop and tuning...

He said things didn't even really get warm... ;)

Looks like Mike, Russ, and the guys at AquaCraft have a fine boat on their hands here!

I watched the boat run in LA last weekend and was very impressed. Yes, it will meet the claimed speed, officially on a legal race course. For a RTR it is ahead of anything I've seen, both in quality and performance. This would make a great club class as long as the props were restricted. Like Darin said, put on the right prop and gain over 20 mph. The little motor/ESC combo is awesome. If the rest of the production boats are like this one was, look out.

>

Jay,

Thanks for the good words.. you have been an inspiration to all us FE racers..

The motor is a brand new motor that we did ALLOT of testing with and has gobs of power.. Brian B has given me his blessing on the type of wire we used on this one too... nice eh!

The esc is cool too.. water cooling built into the casing and stutter bump warning system.. works great.. maybe in the future we can use larger wire... ya got to pick your battles ya know.

Thanks again

Grimracer

Do you know I have an uncle (Bob) that did 6 in Alaska and 6 in Texas and then 6 back again... for a few years.. true.. we have some REALY COOL stuff because of this......... hum.... he was an electronics guy and .............. hey.. you like electric boats............... hum.....he dont chat much about it and over the year we have learned not to ask.... now he is retired and hangs with his family in OH.. Very smart dude..

Back