Needle bearing for MAC 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Bryant

Does anyone know if the VAC45 needle bearings are the same as the MAC45 bearing, i'm in desperate need of a new set

I might be Wrong, i do recall a conversation with a CMB dealer in the UK and i'm sure he said on the 45VAC he used the MAC 45 Rod.

Hi Steven, I (maybe) got a bit more anecdotal evidence from Andy Brown, He commented some time back - in a thread which I started, that "the VAC 45 uses the longer rod of the MAC 45" (whereas the shorter stroke RS and Evo engines have a shorter rod). Although he may not necessarily have been saying that all the dimensions are the same (ie he may have only meant that the rod length is the same).

Are the needles (or even one of the needles) in good enough shape to measure ?

Or if you start a post asking for MAC 45 needle dimensions, someone probably knows. Or maybe even a "Want to Buy" post for a set of MAC 45 needles.

If you have or can get the O/D and length of the needles, I'm sure an obliging CMB dealer would be prepared to measure the VAC needles, to compare. Or if you post the MAC dimensions here, someone will probably be able to compare with VAC needles.

Otherwise, if no-one knows for sure, you could maybe measure the crankpin O/D, rod bottom end I/D, and thickness, and try to match those dimensions.

If all else fails, I guess a AA 45 crank and rod might be an option, but a much more pricey one than you probably want......

I have new sets of the CMB Needles (17 pack)

If you want measurements I can do that when I get home or I will just post so everyone will know and compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm positive the needle bearings are the same.

The needle bearings don't go bad as quick as the crank bearings in my opinion. If there nice and shiny there good. If they changed color a little do to heat, change them.

I replaced the needle bearings every other season. When I had my MAC.

Like IDS987 said the rods are not the same. I think AL Hobs can get steel rods for the MAC 45. Not a 100% sure.

Hi Ian

unfortunately the needles are in the bin and non recoverable, i sure Dave Miles ran the MAC rod in the VAC engine.

Thanks Samuel, i have to order a few bit from Al so i will ask him about the rods at the same time

No problem. I ran a MAC for years and it got wore out. I wasn't impressed with A/A so I sold them both. Al is a great guy to deal with.

Just found this in another thread:

The AA 45 engine runs great. But the Stock AA 45 is not "really fast better than" the last version Stock MAC 45. A lot of MAC 45's could be put back into service with parts that are readily availble. P/L's, wrist pins and cranks from Al Hobbs. CMB VAC con-rod is a direct fit. CMB bearings and needles. I have drums, carbs, heads, water jackets, crankcases and flywheels.

Latest posts

Back