Need assistance please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Kelly

Running a Y-6 with a Gizmo 30+, runs excellent at my home lake,(SanAntonio), but running up north, San Angelo/Amarillo/ Carlsbad N.M, just can't get it to runs as good, can someone give me some ABC prop # they would suggest?
In San Antonio, my Best props seems to be a Zipp = 7016 & 6717 , also a PropWest 7016, though San Angelo, 7016 works but not great, carburetor is readjusted for altitude, but just can't find the proper prop! Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!

The summer time heat makes it challenging to get decent power. I use the air density app on my phone to see the corrected altitude - gives me a ball park idea what I’m gunna be able to spin. Also what carb are you using and at what setting when it runs good

Modified 257 & also a stock 257, the boat runs excellent in S.A. carburetor adjustment is the starting point most of the time 2- L
1-H, and usually go a little rich in the higher altitude, in Dallas. It also runs ok

And the boat runs super wet, have to put a drastic angle on the stinger to get the nose up, BUT I think it's cause I can't get the boat up on plain like it should? When going into the wind, seems to ride a little better cause the wind is assisting picking the boat up????

Yessir, lengthen, shorten, even tried a different pipe, it's got a Gizmo pipe with the 4 different spacer/springs, tried all four, no difference, even trying the different spacers doesn't seem to change the way the motor runs

tried the Zipp kit pipe also, Flys at our lake, Dallas , not bad, runs OK, but Dallas makes their offshore course huge

It sounds like the prop height may have changed which will load the motor and make the boat plow.
Try raising the prop height 1/16”.
You may have hurt the motor also. That change in location with those props shouldn’t make it fall on its
Face.

It sounds like the prop height may have changed which will load the motor and make the boat plow.
Try raising the prop height 1/16”.
You may have hurt the motor also. That change in location with those props shouldn’t make it fall on its
Face.
I hope not on the motor, the original motor was condemn by one of our veteran club member, So I had a brand new Gizmo 30+ ready to go and installed it, boat ran absolutely fantastic, went to San Angelo, boat would not get up on plane. Changed the angle on the stinger, lifted the bow and ran a little better, then I crossed path with the original owner of the boat. Tommy explained to me that boat likes to run loose, keep the angle of the stinger as level as possible, we changed the angle back to even / level with the bottom and got it back to running good, Tommy Shackelford was the original owner of the Y-6 , (BuckDaddy), I test the boat at our lake in San Antonio and it runs absolutely fantastic, load up and travel up north, SanAngelo/ Amarillo/Carlsbad NM, and the boat is a dog, and like you said, it's a plow, I think I have a good variety of props now, A gentleman from Lubbock sold me a nice prop selection, I've yet to try out most of the props, but what works here (S.A) doesn't work up north of S.A.,

I new to boat racing, but been messing with 1/8 scale & 1/4 scale on road, going for open water at the next race to test out props, Carlsbad N.M.,

I hope not on the motor, the original motor was condemn by one of our veteran club member, So I had a brand new Gizmo 30+ ready to go and installed it, boat ran absolutely fantastic, went to San Angelo, boat would not get up on plane. Changed the angle on the stinger, lifted the bow and ran a little better, then I crossed path with the original owner of the boat. Tommy explained to me that boat likes to run loose, keep the angle of the stinger as level as possible, we changed the angle back to even / level with the bottom and got it back to running good, Tommy Shackelford was the original owner of the Y-6 , (BuckDaddy), I test the boat at our lake in San Antonio and it runs absolutely fantastic, load up and travel up north, SanAngelo/ Amarillo/Carlsbad NM, and the boat is a dog, and like you said, it's a plow, I think I have a good variety of props now, A gentleman from Lubbock sold me a nice prop selection, I've yet to try out most of the props, but what works here (S.A) doesn't work up north of S.A.,
BuckDaddy!! Heard he likes baked taters!

I used to race nitro in District 7. You had to have a selection of high altitude props when racing in Lubbock, Amarillo, and Carlsbad. I would bet your seeing adjusted altitudes near 8000' on most summer days. Gas is not as bad but performance definitely suffers there. As Wally stated, download Air Labs on your smart phone. Nice tool to have in bag. There is little difference between the app and my Kestrel Racing meter.

Thank Shannon, having a difficult time in the higher altitude, so would the higher altitude mean a richer carb setting?
I am going with some smaller props also,San Angelo not as bad as Amarillo

I've had several Y-6s. IMHO the PPW 7016 LL Bar Cut is the best prop for most monos. Even in good air I generally will run a 7016 LL 395 on the large engines. You may be able to use a 405 for the offshore course in Dallas but if it bogs on the tight left hand turns you'll have to prop down.

Back