NAKED & WET

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookieMan

NAKED & WET

I am a complete newbie when it comes to R/C boats. Having a left over remote (from a failed 4yr. attempt at RC planes) and no room for 4'+ wingspans in my apt., I am looking a the LaserLine Tunnel Hull w/Dynamite .12PD (nitro) by ABC Hobby as an intro nitro boat that won't blow my budget. I have done some lenghty R&D and have a question I cannot seem to get answered: If I don't own a "real" boat and my R/C is stuck out in the lake (goes dead), do I just "swim 4 it"???? Does anyone NOT have a real boat and have this problem?? Please help, I really want to get into this hobby but afraid to B left NAKED & WET if my boat goes dead!!! (Yikes ;D)

Thanks Everyone.

Re:NAKED & WET

A fishing pole with a tennis ball attached is what a lot of people use. Just cast the ball over the top of the boat and then reel it in. ;D

yep the ball and reel idea is the most used... if you have a buddy... you can do a drag line if you have a really big reel and a lot of line...

my concern is that you said airplane... if you have a 72mhz radio you could get in trouble as it is not for surface use.

most importantly... dont swim for your boat... always a bad idea!

That's a pretty niffty way to get a boat, never would have thought of that one (that's why I asked). About the radio...what are acceptable frequencies? (I have an Airtronics Vanguard FM 4/6 channel at 72) If I'm the only one in a mile + radius is it still not a good idea to use it? Again, I'm a newbie and can use all the help I can get.

Thanks a ton everyone. :)

We use rubber rafts when they get to far for the tennis ball. A good one called the Challanger 200 is at most sporting goods stores for 40 bucks. And usually on sale in the fall if there not all sold. We also use them to set up bouys. Good advise is not to go out farther than you can throw a tennis ball.

-Mike

hi kookieman,

I went thru the same deal as you. Got tired of crashing planes so I thought I would give boating a try. That was 2 yr ago and man am I hooked. I also had the laserline with 12spd for my first boat. I think it is a good choice to begin. its easy to assemble, very responsive and predictable. I have ran a little over 4 gallons of fuel thru mine and its never given any trouble. But you will need to get a different radio. By FCC laws the 72mhz band is for AIRCRAFT only. For retrieving the laserline <its rare but does happen> i use my fishing tube.

Good Luck

Daniel

Then there is the old "electric r/c tug boat" just throw it in the water, drive it over to the "dead boat" and push it back to the shore.

Another boat to run would be to get a Traxxas Nitro-Vee. It comes with a "Retun-to-Shore " system plus the kit comes with a radio included. I myself also use the 2-man inflatable boat but I seem to have to buy a new one every year but at $20.00 I can't complain. It fits in the back of my little truck with no problem.

Thanks everyone for the input. I would have never gotten the advice anywhere else (I'm kind of a loner here in central MN for R/C boating from what I can see). I just bought the LaserLine today ($203 w/tax, not bad) and am PUMPED to get it rolling out on the water. Now i just have to get my RTS system, aka inflatable raft ;D

Thanks Guys!!!

yes i am also a newbee i have a boat hull built by lance air and i got all my guts and engine from the traxxass vee and the pro vee .15 engine i am having trouble getting the engine mounted, but was wondering what king of trouble you could get in for using 72 mhz and how would anyone else know? thank you

Fred;

Unless you are using 72.080, and are in Canada where it is legal to use it (72.080 ONLY!!) for surface use, I highly recommend (insist) you use a surface frequency.

I assume that you plan to use your model up at the cottage. Being someone who plays with models only at the cottage or 'out in the country' (no formal clubs)..let me remind you ..you are not alone. I know of many other people who also 'play' with their toys out there, and can imagine how pissed off they would be if their model suddenly lost control and crashed (or hit someone)...especially once they realized why.

:eek: (

I don't want to sound like a preacher...I have done some WAY stupid things (with my models too..) before...

I have seen a plane crash into the side of a car. nasty!

I have seen a (.21) rcboat hit a real boat! (left a nice mark...rc boat was trashed) nasty! I personally hit someones dock at WOT! doh! (could have easily hit the real boat there ...would have gone right through it!...trashed my model) nasty & lucky!

There are very few rules...99% of 'em are for safety.

Accidents will happen anyways...don't promote it.

Using 72 MHz for Surface in USA

If you use a 72 MHz frequency in the USA the FCC can levy fines up to $10,000 per day of violation + federal jail time. I don't think it should take the threat of a fine to keep you off these frequencies though. Just think if you were the one flying a plane that was shot down into a house or crowd by your illegal use of a radio. Remember some RC planes can weigh serveral 10s of pounds.

Quick question :)

What do u guys use to attach the line to the tennis ball?

Do u just tie a knot around the ball or what??

Wouldn't wanna lose the ball too! lol

I've also used the tennis ball trick but with a twist. I cut the bottoms off of metal coat hangers. Put them through the ball at right angles and bend the ends toward the way you're going to pull it through the water. Kind of looks like a gattling hook. Put some fuel line on the tips so you won't scratch your boat. The coat hanger hooks will grab the boat better. If you want to use an inflatable boat for retrieval, you better check with a game warden. They're illegal to use in my state on any body of water.

Just to add more fuel for the conversation...what lbs. line does one use for the fishing retrieval system (FRS :p ), and does anyone know of an approx. distance you can get?? I'm just curious....

As for the radio issue I agree with Jeff K. Better to be safe than sorry. 'Cause of that mentality I'm on hold with my boat till I can get my radio in (I'm still looking at models)

SmokeyJoe859 - I , too, had drawn up on paper a similar 'jig' for my FRS, I'll have to try your idea. Thanks ;)

peace everyone ;D

I drill and tap a hole for a ball stud (the metal part of a ball and cap for RC steering links) in the furthest point forward on top of the hull on all my boats. All you have to do is throw the ball over the boat and reel it in. Catches the line but the ball can't slip over. Works evey time and brings the boat in bow first. Without the ball stud you usually end up (after several attempts) catching the hardware on the rear and pulling it in backwards, sideways wandering in all directions filling with more water.

-Mike

They also sell those picture hooks for concrete walls at the hardware store. Some of them come with high strength double sided tape on them. If you stick one of those on the front of your boat it will make it a lot easier to hook.

Hammer

Back