My day job

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, couldn't tell you how many of these I have done, it seems like every diesel gets the cab off sometime in it's life. also f150's, expeditions, explorers, kind of makes it easier to get the job done, but the customer sometimes freaks out when they see it.

Been there, done that. not my idea of a fun couple of days. prolly better at the dealership than a poorly equipped independant shop like where i work............

2008 f250 cab off short block replacement View attachment 42506
Not saying much for the f250, 4 years old and replacing the block. :eek: ........==={}
The 6.4 Ford diesels are junk. Actually Ford hasn't had a decent diesel truck motor since the earlier 7.3 powerstrokes and that comes from a career Ford truck tech. In his words if you want a diesel that won't spend it's life in the shop get a Duramax or Cummins. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The key to making one last is good pm,we have several of all engine types that give great service. The 6.4 will become another animal with a dpf-r kit on it,200 pounds of emission junk removed and a controller will make it better than a 6.0 chipped. his truck is a State Police drug recovery and every time it comes into the shop a overspeed code is in memory.

all are F550 at the last job where diesels. Always in the shop!

Thy got new trucks in and switched to the V10 gas eng.

The international Navstar eng where great eng till Ford put there electronics,turbos and injectors on them and called it a power stroke.

Drop a injector tip in the eng and game over.

Ordered a Int 4200 with the VT465 eng in it and never had a problem with it ever.

Ford tried to Rev to much out of it to get good HP numbers for sales and "F"ed it all up.

My new job at AT&T fleet I work on bucket trucks that are old Bell South 1994 F350 7.3 and still run every day.

Pre Ford "F"ing with the eng.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2004 V -10 E -350 Ford Van ......... 274,000 miles 1 set of plugs , same hoses , serp belt ,tranny , rear , ac , cooling system . Best vehicle i have ever owned . Oil & filter every 3000 miles .

Mike next time I see you I'll show you pics of removing a Motor out of a Mini Cooper. Piece of cake. Takes longer to put fluids in then to remove the motor.

I plow and sand with a F-550 with the V-10, guttless fuel sucking pos! Before that ran a F-250 brand new, trans went out in the first two months, had to fight with ford to get it replaced under warranty. I've been plowing for almost 20 years, thats the first transmission I've ever had fail in a vehicle!

One of my gmc 2500 4x4s has 410 000 KM the other 370 000 km, both 350 with 4l80e transmissions, replaced a couple rads, exhaust systems, one alternator and a windshield wiper motor. Regular filter and oil changes along with plugs cap and rotor. Can't kill them. At 20 years old in Canada the box is rotting off one, but both still breeze through bi annual emissions testing.

I'm a stone mason so neither of my trucks has had an easy life, usually loaded to the max!

Going to put a used dump box on the one and run it until it dies, now I have to see how long it will live!

Have personally serviced GM's with well over 500k miles with only major repairs being worn injectors with high fuel return rates or the ocasional one that is hung open. Have one still in service with 640k miles on it and it still pulls 5th wheel travel campers coast to coast. PM's as Mikey said and not driving them when in need of attention is key to a long life.

Back