Mutt 2 Setup Help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Lovsund

Supporting Member
Looking for help with my Mutt. I have the boat set up as per Marks instruction sheet but it is blowing over at the end of the straights. The only way I can keep it on the water is by adding 10 oz of weight to the sponson tips but then the boat hops alot in the straights and scrubs speed. Setup without the added weight the boat balances half an inch behind the sponsons. The strut is set so the front steps contact the setup table, which puts the strut depth at 1-1/4" from bottom of the boat to centerline of the strut. Strut is angled so I can slide a .060 shim under the front of it. The strut itself is not flat at the front though as it has a machined taper. Picco blackhead engine, macs aero pipe and Marks 1455/3 prop. I have not had time for any testing since the last race and will not until we race again this weekend. Should I lower the strut, add more strut angle or both?

Thanks

Martin

Just use 1/2 throttle Martin...... :lol: :lol: I had to say it. It's getting harder to race in SP40 with the competition bringing their "A" game now. I'm in the same boat as you with Rob running a AA 45 I have loosen up the PT to get the extra speed needed to stay ahead of him. Makes for a scary race if the wind creeps up.

The best way to add lead is in two strips at the front of the air trap. That spoils a little of the lift. With the right prop and Mark's setup, the boat should be very fast and stable. Watch the boat running. If the strut is too deep, you can see the recovery pads hitting. Are you running the curved Mike Hughes turn fin? If so, the angle is critical as it can pull the boat down or lift it up. Start with the bottom of the turn fin parallel to the setup board.

Lohring Miller

As lohring said. Add a strip of stick on lead on both sides of the belly pan right where the bow block meets the tunnel bottom. This will take care of the problem. Did you balance the boat as per the instructions? How much lead did you put in the left sponson? It is not uncommon to put 8-10 oz of lead in it. The hopping could be too much strut angle.

Just use 1/2 throttle Martin......
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I had to say it. It's getting harder to race in SP40 with the competition bringing their "A" game now. I'm in the same boat as you with Rob running a AA 45 I have loosen up the PT to get the extra speed needed to stay ahead of him. Makes for a scary race if the wind creeps up.
Stay ahead of me.....
laugh.gif
...thats funny....
laugh.gif

As lohring said. Add a strip of stick on lead on both sides of the belly pan right where the bow block meets the tunnel bottom. This will take care of the problem. Did you balance the boat as per the instructions? How much lead did you put in the left sponson? It is not uncommon to put 8-10 oz of lead in it. The hopping could be too much strut angle.

Thanks guys, Mark I bought the boat second hand and I am not sure how much weight was added to the sponsons. Right now the boat balances out about a 1/2" behind the sponsons without me adding any extra lead. So this is 3/4 of an inch forward of what the setup sheet suggests. I will add the lead strips on both sides of the belly pan and take a little strut angle out before the weekend.

Martin

Stay ahead of me.....
laugh.gif
...thats funny....
laugh.gif

Oh it's on now eh Kevin :) I can get in front of Rob, problem is it is hard to stay there. We will see if I can keep the mutt on the water this weekend though.

Martin

Stay ahead of me.....
laugh.gif
...thats funny....
laugh.gif

Oh it's on now eh Kevin
smile.gif
I can get in front of Rob, problem is it is hard to stay there. We will see if I can keep the mutt on the water this weekend though.

Martin

Sport 40 has been alot of fun with like 8 boats in that class. I think its one of our biggest classes when everyone shows up.

Martin, I'll try to explain my set up in Calgary and you can go from there. I cannot run a 1455/3 as the boat is set up currently as the boat wants to push the front end in too hard. The A/A45 turns it fine but the boat ride is not there. The 1455/2 pitched up lets the engine rev and is more suited for Calgary's elevation of 3200'. I'll set it on my glass table top when I get home thursday and write all the measurements down as far as strut angle and sponson measurements go. I will also check the center of gravity measurement behind the sponsons as I have added alot of weight to the front over the years. I'm pretty sure that at sea level the 1455/3 would work fine with all the extra power and air under the hull. Right now its riding pretty smooth at full throttle and when a bump on the water comes about it flies nice and level.

I used to run Marks exact set up when I started out but with the old CMB that was in there, it was too finicky in Calgary. Now with the AA45 I will most likely go back to the original set up eventually.

See ya in Calgary.....

Strutt dead flat. As has been pointed out unless you run at altitude the lead just behind the leading edge of the air trap will stop the blowovers.

agree w these guys... strut flat and lead under nose. 1455/2 has been the best for racing for me. my boat balances 19 1/2 " from rear flies flat! 1457/2 for time trials

good luck

brian

agree w these guys... strut flat and lead under nose. 1455/2 has been the best for racing for me. my boat balances 19 1/2 " from rear flies flat! 1457/2 for time trials

good luck

brian
Those Mutts are hard to beat/shame they are so hard to get....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back