Mufflers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread started out as an inquiry and is turning down an unwanted avenue.

One choosing to run boats near a residential area or retirment assisted living community is begging for problems. You don't run your r/c cars in a congested parking lot at quitting time, or fly your planes downtown amongst the tall buildings...right?

All noise problems are more about boaters infringing on unsuspecting citizens than the opposite. The ultimate quiet pipe is a sail!

MG
well said Mark.

I feel this thread has some good ideas we as boaters need to protect our ponds and the hobby.

I feel this thread has some good ideas we as boaters need to protect our ponds and the hobby.
I agree Mikey.

People need to realize that Craig is not talking all IMPBA but just his pond , he has spent a large amount of his own money as well as his time trying to create another race site in D1 for everyone to enjoy. I wish we had more people like him in our hobby.

The least we could do is try to help him with positive feedback about how he can make this happen and not get into a pissing match over noise.

Tim Kish

Tim here is some positive feedback.

Why is anyone trying to run a race or keep a pond where you're not wanted. The exponential difference between 82db and 92db won't be enough if they don't want you there.

An example was mentioned in an earlier post. The city offcials must enjoy having that event, or it wouldn't happen. The citizens apparently have accepted the crowd, commotion, and all associated nusences The people putting on that race did their homework to find a location to hold possibly the year's most prestigious event. I suggest efforts used in this example will be far more productive than waiting for the unfortunate.

As I stated earlier, this thread started as an inquiry. Soon after another continent's methods were being introduced. Yes it is devastating losing a pond, but population growth keeps moving us all off ponds. That being said, I think a third or fifth movement ( I've lost count) is unwarranted.

I applaud all those who make the effort to procure the race sites I do and hope to enjoy. "FISH WHERE THE FISH ARE"

MG

Why is anyone trying to run a race or keep a pond where you're not wanted.
'cos a lot of times you don't know that you're "not wanted" until you discover you've been kicked out because someone squawked enough.

The city offcials must enjoy having that event, or it wouldn't happen.
they'll enjoy it up until the point they have residents bending their ears on the phone or at city council meetings.

look, I'm on your side. I'm also a shooter, and I've seen and heard of many situations where 50+-year-old hunt clubs have had to deal with the griping of residents of a nearby subdivision built 3 years ago by an idiot developer. The sad fact is that the world runs on complaints. I've run quiet pipes for pretty much the entirety of my R/C boating experience. They do a lot to quell the more annoying components of the sounds R/C engines make.

Why is anyone trying to run a race or keep a pond where you're not wanted.
'cos a lot of times you don't know that you're "not wanted" until you discover you've been kicked out because someone squawked enough.

The city offcials must enjoy having that event, or it wouldn't happen.
they'll enjoy it up until the point they have residents bending their ears on the phone or at city council meetings.

look, I'm on your side. I'm also a shooter, and I've seen and heard of many situations where 50+-year-old hunt clubs have had to deal with the griping of residents of a nearby subdivision built 3 years ago by an idiot developer. The sad fact is that the world runs on complaints. I've run quiet pipes for pretty much the entirety of my R/C boating experience. They do a lot to quell the more annoying components of the sounds R/C engines make.
Thanks for confirming my points. Better to use efforts to find a location that wants you around for as long as they see fit, or a site where you can make as much noise (engines or guns) without concern for as long as possible.

I don't know of any ponds still available that I raced on 40+ years ago. There could be some...not many is my guess. To be clear, my point is your gone at any db if they want you gone. Go where your wanted or oblivious.

It is not the dB,s unless you are talking about personal hearing noise trauma, then wear ear protection! It is the sound that is different than the ambient noise. It could be a lion roaring in the neighborhood or my generator running or the highschool marching band that is a mile away that I can readily hear in my house unless you are deaf. So if folks don't like a sound that is not part of their ambient sound universe and if they want to make an issue, they can. So do what you need to locally.

HUNTSVILLE "WHERE RACING IS FUN"

Huntsville is one place.... we need many places to race and test. As far as db goes I haven't seen a db meter at a race in 4yrs.... that was like 40 races ago for me. I don't run a muffler on my .12 boat or my .90 boat (.90 boat has quiet pipe) my 20 and 40 both have mufflers. I try and be as quiet as possible.

Paul

Paul, we do have a Db meter at our records trials and check each boat after it is up and running it is always up on our drivers stand. If a boat has a high reading up there. we will go down to where the rule states it is suppoed to be and check again. So far none has been over the max allowed per rule book.

BTW The only noise complaint Huntsville have recieved is from our PA system during the 99 Internats we hosted. For those racers that have never been to the Huntsville site it is in the middle of town in a city park and th ecity even built the drivers stand over 2 0 years ago and re built some it after the left over winds from Katrina tore some of it up. The city of Huntsville appreciates the tourist money our events bring into the city over the many years of model boating. And the model boaters of Huntsville appreciate th egreat support Huntsville have provide us for over 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not the dB,s unless you are talking about personal hearing noise trauma, then wear ear protection! It is the sound that is different than the ambient noise. It could be a lion roaring in the neighborhood or my generator running or the highschool marching band that is a mile away that I can readily hear in my house unless you are deaf. So if folks don't like a sound that is not part of their ambient sound universe and if they want to make an issue, they can. So do what you need to locally.

HUNTSVILLE "WHERE RACING IS FUN"
I agree on the sound being different is the one that bothers people... some people just cant be pleased..just sayin, Craig has a wonderful pond in a remote area and several people have money invested in the enlarging and sound deadening things..(hedge rows,new trees,higher banks etc etc)and as Craigs friends are doing what we can to quiet our boats down. We were looking for ideas on what works for other people in the db lowering area.Granted The pond is in an agricultral area and the tractors plow fields all night,the county race track is next road over and you can hear the stock cars over our boats and get a cloud of dust from track,The people in the area can not do anything about the noise from race track because it is a county fairgrounds so they will pick on the little guys...us... We hope to please the neighbors as much as we can and lower our sound level as a good will effort and to show them we really do care, hopefully that will help. Now that said I like and might be able to afford the homemade can thing posted back a bit... can the person who posted that explain it a bit, and can we hear some more muffler info on what works here??? Thanks

Huntsville is one place.... we need many places to race and test. As far as db goes I haven't seen a db meter at a race in 4yrs.... that was like 40 races ago for me. I don't run a muffler on my .12 boat or my .90 boat (.90 boat has quiet pipe) my 20 and 40 both have mufflers. I try and be as quiet as possible.

Paul

Charleston SC is another premier location and we do have a db meter and will use it as needed. It is a mostly rural area and the landowner is a club member who takes care of the club very well. We get a lot of NAMBA guests at our races and they have a 95db limit while IMPBA has 92. Presents challenges but the racers have been coming in for a while and they know the limits.

has anyone tried making a muffler out of pvc tubeing ? will nitro dissolve pvc ?....thanks....bob

has anyone tried making a muffler out of pvc tubeing ? will nitro dissolve pvc ?....thanks....bob
PVC tubing has thick wall and heavy. I tried making a muffler using travel size shaving cream container and K&S tubing JB Weld together. The JB Weld did not hold up to the exhaust temperature.

Back