Mufflers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry Gerhart also makes a great add on muffler. I just purchased 3 101 muffler from him

he is on this site as flexshaft

Walt Barney

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, Tom is asking because I am having problems with sound at my pond. Just came back from a town meeting last night and I had to promise that we would quiet our boats down to 82 db like the Europeans. Do you guys think it would be best to just switch to a CMB Quiet Pipe to get the db's down? I question the effectiveness of add on mufflers. I have a CMB 45 Quiet pipe for my rigger that I will be testing, but it won't be for a couple weeks. I assume the CMB Quiet Pipe will get the engines at or below the European 82 db limit. Am I assuming wrong?? I know I have sound tested .21 boats with the NR .21 Quiet Pipe at 77db. That looks to be the same design as the CMB.

My neighbors are complaining with our gas sport hydros at around 87-90 db. So we are already well under the IMPBA 92 db limit.

Thanks!

I have a tboat with a cooper muffler on it and its quiet. Gas pipes with internal stingers are still loud. If your testing try a cooper muffler I can loan you one but if your headed to 82 its going to take some work any open nitro pipe with any muffler wont ever get there.

We're all going to have to get better at noise control! it's an issue everywhere. after 5 days at Hobart I'd say we have a looooong way to go because it was hard to talk over the noise during most of the heats. And then there's Francois's boats that sound essentially like electric! that's where we need to be. I noticed many of the B hydros weren't even running mufflers and it was ear piercing!!

g

We're all going to have to get better at noise control! it's an issue everywhere. after 5 days at Hobart I'd say we have a looooong way to go because it was hard to talk over the noise during most of the heats. And then there's Francois's boats that sound essentially like electric! that's where we need to be. I noticed many of the B hydros weren't even running mufflers and it was ear piercing!!

g
Thank you Greg for posting!

We need to get quiet ASAP, otherwise it will be too late for more and more ponds. I have realized through these town meetings that many people are quite sensitive about noise and all it takes is one person.

I have a tboat with a cooper muffler on it and its quiet. Gas pipes with internal stingers are still loud. If your testing try a cooper muffler I can loan you one but if your headed to 82 its going to take some work any open nitro pipe with any muffler wont ever get there.
A friend bought a used T-boat and it came with an unknown muffled pipe and it shows 77 dBA at full bore, 25 feet from the shore line. Nice quiet, fast boat. We could race those all day long.....

A friend bought a used T-boat and it came with an unknown muffled pipe and it shows 77 dBA at full bore, 25 feet from the shore line. Nice quiet, fast boat. We could race those all day long.....
Not a gas guy but sounds like a Jerome pipe from Europe?

Post a pic someone will know .

has anyone wrapped tuned pipes and mufflers with header tapes that are use on automotive headers ?....bob

This is not the most elegant solution but very effective. Just a simple spray can. This solution uses many of us in Sweden and it manages Navigas requirements of 82 db. The pipe is a Cooper 45 QHP.

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

//andré

I like the pic of the tether car the most,nice boat muffler though...it is a shame that it only takes ONE person to stop the sound of a Mod. Nitro engine,but that is the world we live in today. The people here in Fl. are very lucky to have a drag strip in Gainsville where we are "BLESSED" to have the Gator Nats where you can still HEAR and FEEL the Horse Power of a non DB regulated racing event...a true HP racing experience that you can only appreciate in person.

P.S. are the lower pans of your tether cars made out of Magnesium...

The people here in Fl. are very lucky to have a drag strip in Gainsville where we are "BLESSED" to have the Gator Nats where you can still HEAR and FEEL the Horse Power of a non DB regulated racing event...a true HP racing experience that you can only appreciate in person.
Ya baby! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyp6afSZ990

I like when they turn the second pump on at 1:50!

Second pump..............You want to be in the stands at the start line when they light the second MAG!!!! That is what you go FOR!!! :eek: :eek: :D

g
Thank you Greg for posting!

We need to get quiet ASAP, otherwise it will be too late for more and more ponds. I have realized through these town meetings that many people are quite sensitive about noise and all it takes is one person.
Reality is no matter how quiet you get, if one person wants you out, your gone. Sad but True.

Wasn't there a noise rule passed? If so, why isn't it enforced?
92 db is the current IMPBA rule, but 92 db is loud. An open piped .20 mono will run 93 db. I am actually looking forward to getting my boats to the European level. That way I can talk over boats running,instead of waiting for it to stop running. I hope others will follow in D1. I'm surprised Elmira puts up with the noise one bad apple makes with his boats. He ran at my only race, and I kick myself for not running a stricter sound rule. Times are changing guys. Step in the other person's shoes and see how it is best to make our boats as quiet as possible.

Back